Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 5th to 4th, Hard Downshift

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Vehicle
    2018 R/T
    Just out of curiosity, when it's downshifting, is it doing it kinda quick? Like on mine when coming to a stop, it is still in 4th gear at around 10 miles an hour or less. Now in Sport Mode it will downshift quick than that. I don't remember what gear I'm in at that speed, but it is lower than 4th.

I don't have the rough shifting issue on my R/T is why I ask this. My 5th to 4th is fine as well. Just wondered if maybe the transmission was downshifting faster than it is suppose to, possibly causing the rough downshifts. If that is the case, it would seem like the computer is telling the transmission to downshift too early. One would think the to PCM or what have you needs reprogrammed/replaced, maybe there is a bad batch of them? Especially after several of you have reported it came back after getting parts replaced.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jfire72; 05-15-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    2018 R/T
    Muffler Delete, Tail Light Vinyl, Dodge Tail Light Letters Removed, Black Exhaust Tips, Chrome Tailgate Letters Replaced W/ Blacktop Badges, Chrome R/T Front Grill Badge, Thinkware F800 Pro Front & Rear Dash Cam

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Durango RT Brilliant White
    Mods
    AFE CAI, Corsa Catback exhaust
    It's not really a matter of how quick/slow or when it downshifts as long as it's smooth. When I had the problem of 5>4 downshift, myself and others in the car, thought we got rear ended. It's that clunk/jolt when downshifting. Kinda like a bad shift when driving a manual where don't blip the throttle and release the clutch to quick.

Given that, programming could still be a root cause but after X miles of bad shifting due to programming issues, is there physical part damage as a result.

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Vehicle
    2018 R/T
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeckle View Post
    It's not really a matter of how quick/slow or when it downshifts as long as it's smooth. When I had the problem of 5>4 downshift, myself and others in the car, thought we got rear ended. It's that clunk/jolt when downshifting. Kinda like a bad shift when driving a manual where don't blip the throttle and release the clutch to quick.

Given that, programming could still be a root cause but after X miles of bad shifting due to programming issues, is there physical part damage as a result.
    Gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jfire72; 05-16-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    2018 R/T
    Muffler Delete, Tail Light Vinyl, Dodge Tail Light Letters Removed, Black Exhaust Tips, Chrome Tailgate Letters Replaced W/ Blacktop Badges, Chrome R/T Front Grill Badge, Thinkware F800 Pro Front & Rear Dash Cam

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango Citadel Hemi
    Mods
    LED Fogs, front tints
    I have a 2015 Citadel with the Hemi and about 40,500 miles now but around 38, 000 at the time.
    I also had the very rough 5 to 4 downshift and occasional 2 to 1 rough downshift for the 3 years ive owned it. It seemed more pronounced with AC on initially but then was just rough all the time and like others have said it felt like i was rear ended and checked behind me a few times to see.
    After reading here that not much can be done to fix it I never mentioned it to my dealer until I had a bigger problem with it. On 2 occasions the transmission clunked into 4th louder than usual and then resulted in a check engine light code P0734 and the vehicle in limp mode staying in 4th gear until i turned it off and restarted. First time I brought to dealer the light went off the morning i was bringing it in and they refused to do anything without an active code. Then after the 2nd time (about 3 months later) this happened i brought it right to dealer so the code was still active. At first they tried to just say it went out and is shifting normally now but I pushed them to look further to the cause of the limp mode and CEL. about an hour later they called and said they were going to replace the transmission and waiting on final approval from FCA. Then about a half hour after that they called back and said it was approved and on order. seemingly a total 180 as they were not going to do anything initially. I know it doesnt sound like it, but i really do like my dealer and service people. they have been very good overall, although sometimes quick to dismiss things at first but usually come through for me. Much better than any of the other dealers in my area have been.
    about 3 weeks later i had the transmission replaced and since then Ive driven about 2500 miles and so far its been great. hopefully it stays this way.

on a side note: another issue i always had was on the first start of the day, the first 1 to 2 upshift was always delayed and kind of rough but that too has been rectified.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango R/T
    Quote Originally Posted by rasull12 View Post
    on a side note: another issue i always had was on the first start of the day, the first 1 to 2 upshift was always delayed and kind of rough but that too has been rectified.
    I've had this happen, too. Not always, but often enough.
    Good to know that it seems the problem *can* be resolved.

Maybe it's going to take a second transmission replacement on mine.
    --- Mike
    2006 Charger R/T w/ R&T - Sept 2005-Aug 2015
    2015 Durango R/T - Aug 2015 ----->

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD V6 Premium, Safe/Conveniece & Tow packages, Opt7 LED fog lamps
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeckle View Post

I know its worst in my '14 V6 if I leave the Eco mode "on" and its seems less abrupt and/o smoother with the Eco mode "off".

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Sponsored Links