Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Topspin

Thread: Engine Issue ? PLEASE HELP

Grasshopper
    Member #

Engine Issue ? PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone,
    So I purchased a 2012 Durango RT, the person who sold it to me is a wholesaler he told me the truck was mixing and needed a new head gasket, so I purchase the truck and had it towed to my “mechanic”......

My issue follows, my mechanic had the truck for about 3 weeks, tells me it’s ready he fixed the heads he said he hadn’t over heated or anything that the job was done, only thing was that it needed a cooling system flush... I agreed on taking the truck and going somewhere to get that done since he didn’t have the machine for it. I drove about a hour home the truck did not over heat or anything but it did stay at the half mark on the dash. I let the car sit over the weekend my appointment was for Tuesday , I drove the truck for maybe a hour on Monday and on Tuesday morning I’m driving to the dealer to get the system cooling flush and the check engine light comes on.... I’m like great! I get to the dealer do the process when it’s my turn my service guy tells me that what it needed wasn’t a regular flush and instead of the 179.99 it was about $600, I told them no forget it I’ll take it back to my mechanic. I’m driving home, and when I get to my block the car starts to like rumble and I hear a splash and I pop the hood and see that the hose that connects from the reservoir to the radiator had came off and spilled out all that stuff that you guys see in the picture. I call my mechanic and he has a tow truck come and get it, it’s been 2 weeks and he tells me that he finally got everything flushed out and than he calls me 2 days later and tells me that supposively it’s still mixing , and that also he noticed that the engine is consuming a lot of oil so he thinks the engine is bad... now I feel like he hasn’t changed the heads because when I went to get the truck the first time the heads looked un touched the only thing that looked touch was that he changed the spark plugs also.. so I don’t know what to do, this mechanic isn’t being straight forward with me and it’s been a month and 2 weeks now since it’s been getting fixed... what do you guys think,

I also put pictures of the spark plugs after maybe a few days of barely any use on the truck after he finished the job

How should I move forward or what should I ask him to do etc, PLEASE HELP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engine Issue ?  PLEASE HELP-9baeb3db-05c3-4f53-975f-12330b212016_1554420638617.jpeg   Engine Issue ?  PLEASE HELP-d40b9258-2bd5-4120-b38f-1fee1af7ec31_1554420661226.jpeg   Engine Issue ?  PLEASE HELP-99adf8a0-c99a-4de7-aa12-2c0e9d5e6f82_1554420712648.jpeg   Engine Issue ?  PLEASE HELP-17ba4e84-c680-435a-8ef8-4a074061ee1d_1554421143431.jpeg   Engine Issue ?  PLEASE HELP-ee562145-c5e4-43db-9614-860fd74263b6_1554421192938.jpeg  

Engine Issue ?  PLEASE HELP-3d8fb17a-3bbf-4c3e-8eb5-801dadc5fa1e_1554421233589.jpeg  

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Vehicle
    2008 Limited
    Mods
    Ongoing
    Mixing? Mixing what? Oil and Coolant?
    2008 Durango Limited with every option available
    2004 Durango SLT (For Sale soon)
    2002 Chrysler 300m Special
    2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited, AWD, Hemi
    Mods
    Trying to keep "hands off"
    The first thing that I would demand from your mechanic is a compression test. Have him document and show you what the cranking compression is in each cylinder. That will give you an idea of the general health of your engine. Good Luck!
    Don Fox likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DuRonbo View Post
    Mixing? Mixing what? Oil and Coolant?

Yes mixing oil and coolant

JCC
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    So if I was to guess... The new head gaskets did not solve the issue as the heads are probably warped. My understanding is when it’s aluminum heads in cast block the heads should be machined to square them up anytime their pulled. I would guess less then 1% of the time this is actually done, and probably actually needed even a smaller percent of the time. You may have the rare case where it is absolutely needed in order for new gaskets to seal or it maybe the job was botched or not even done from the start.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited, AWD, Hemi
    Mods
    Trying to keep "hands off"
    Quote Originally Posted by JCC View Post
    So if I was to guess... The new head gaskets did not solve the issue as the heads are probably warped. My understanding is when it’s aluminum heads in cast block the heads should be machined to square them up anytime their pulled. I would guess less then 1% of the time this is actually done, and probably actually needed even a smaller percent of the time. You may have the rare case where it is absolutely needed in order for new gaskets to seal or it maybe the job was botched or not even done from the start.
    I'm not in agreement with re-surfacing heads every time that they're removed, but they certainly should be checked for flatness! I'm wondering, as you stated, if any real repair was actually done at all?!

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    On the spark plugs It is hard to make a determination, but they do not look new to me. From the color of the fluid coming out I would say yes you have a oil/coolant problem. So what does the oil look like? Just because oil and coolant mix dont automatically go to blown head gaskets. I am not familiar with the construction of the newer mopar engines. But the newer designed engines of all manufactures now have aluminum front covers that water has passages in and around.
    So the reason I say this is we had a Ford Taurus with the 3.0 I think. Owner was loosing coolant but not obvious where it was going, no apearant transfer. Then one day car overheats on way to work, so he stops and had some water with him as he had experienced some loss of say a week or so and he would top off. So the day it overheated finaly when he got to shop check oil it was milky and way way high on dip stick. Coolant looked like yours. We tore the engine down, surface checked heads and gaskets, all looked fine and was square and not warped. A week or so later I was looking things over very close. The timing cover/water pump mount had some small depressions and closer look showed that you could see right thru in some spots. So as the water pressure came up to 16-18lb it would force water into the oil passages. Then when it cooled down and created a vacuum any oil that was in passages would get sucked into cooling system. So while the heads are the normal suspect there are other places that can be an issue. I would pull a cooling system check and see if it can hold pressure. The way it sits now it needs to be flushed before it driven. Depending on estimates for repair, you may be better off with a "crate replacement" engine. From a place like rock auto.com The engine we put in was only like $3800. Cheaper than having all the machine work done, new parts and our labor to repair. We just pulled the old one and installed the new replacement. We did tear the old one down for our own inspection, but in you case it would be a pull and replacement. Only have to sway alternator and bolt on stuff.
    As far as a reputable mechanic man thats hard. I know dealers are expensive and usually always higher than independents. But the other instructor I work with at the college, we always joke about people having a "guy" that does work for them. Then when it goes south they look for other opinions. Unfortunately their "cheap" mechanical help ends up costing them more money. Best advise I can give beside a dealer (which I have no investment in or work at) is look for an ASE certified technician or shop. Unless you know the "guys" actual technical mechanical background. I do side work, but usually limited and for friends or family referrals. But they know my references. The guy on Craig list ahhh not so much. Good luck. I will do some checking Monday if I remember and get you a WAG on the labor hours so you may have a general idea what your looking to pay. Sorry so long winded.

Sponsored Links