Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2002 Dodge Durango Build

Member #
    Vehicle
    2002 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9L V8

2002 Dodge Durango Build

All,

I am an American contractor working in Kuwait and I just purchased a 2002 Dodge Durango from another contractor that was leaving the country. I paid about $1300 for it about 2 months ago (1 Feb 2019). I've ridden in it multiple times and drove it once. It didn't have A/C when I borrowed it a few months prior, but apparently he got the compressor replaced and it now has A/C, which is an absolute must here in Kuwait. I remember the ride being a little bumpy, but the engine was fantastic! That big V8 would haul a$$! I looked it over when I agreed to buy it and it seemed like a decent vehicle that would get me to and from work. I paid him cash for it and we agreed that he would keep using it until he left the country. During that time (roughly about 2 weeks) he was in an accident and wrecked the right front end. He paid for it to be fixed, but it looks like they didn't do a very good job.

The hood doesn't line up right, so I'll have to take a look at that.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-img_2446.jpeg

This pic is where they glued up the headlight and taped it until the glue tried. I'll have to try to get off that glue residue with some goo gone.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-img_2445.jpeg

This pic is of the broken headlight. We got some rain here in Kuwait the past week and some water and dirt got inside the headlight. I've ordered a set of headlights from Amazon.com, but unfortunately they can't be shipped here. I had to get them shipped to my mom and get her to mail them here.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-img_2447.jpeg

The guy paid for the truck to be fixed and it still looked decent. He asked to use the truck to mail off some packages and I get a message from him shortly after saying that a car side swiped the truck and he was gonna get them to pay for it.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-58690d38-1e58-4007-9460-3f8148d7ffeb.jpg

Apparently, it just needed to be buffed out.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-5bfa5de7-55dc-4a26-a286-6410f2e55821.jpg

I guess it doesn't look that bad.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-0770359b-6b9a-43a1-b9dc-69c5ce7af783.jpg

I gave they previous owner cash for the vehicle in January and he was gonna continue driving it until he left on Feb. 1, 2019. Well, he left and I took possession of the truck and took another look around. There is some grinding noise coming from the front right wheel when I turn the wheel and reverse. I might need some wheel bearings or something... I won't know until I get in there and pull the tire off. There seemed to be a lot of cosmetic things wrong with the truck, but that didn't bother me. I figured I'll get everything fixed up over time, as long as the drivetrain is in good working order, everything else could wait.

Heres a couple pics of the truck.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-5fb5b65f-cfe7-4894-8e8c-f3736e509363.jpg

2002 Dodge Durango Build-img_2434.jpeg

2002 Dodge Durango Build-img_2435.jpeg

2002 Dodge Durango Build-img_2438.jpeg
    Last edited by OrdieJay; 03-28-2019 at 11:17 PM.

IYAOYAS

Member #
    Vehicle
    So after driving the truck for a few days the driver side window stopped working. It made some weird growling noises at me when I used it before, but I thought that maybe there was some dirt or something inside. Nope, that thing was so pissed off that it started eating itself.

I absolutely hate working in the dark, but I had to figure out the problem so I could get it fixed ASAP. Kuwait hardly gets rain, but this year has been pretty bad. There's been flooding and all sorts of weird weather going on this past year, so I needed to get this window working.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-8b7f13cd-62a8-4314-bb9d-24da95edf2cd.jpg

Like I said, the window regulator started eating itself. The white plastic piece that goes inside the spring guide was torn apart and chunks were missing. I thought I'd be able to glue some stuff together until the new regulator came in, but that was not an option after looking at the disaster I pulled out. I found a wooden stick in the bushes and replaced the regulator with that. It's not OEM, but it'll have to do until I get the new part.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-55694450-6c60-468c-8c6c-dc93df3eea05.jpg

BAD! BAD! BAD!

2002 Dodge Durango Build-ef410386-c73c-4099-9e81-29d269000635.jpg

Well, after about 9 days of waiting I finally received the new part and took the 1 screw out of the door panel and replaced that damaged window regulator. I figured I'd do it in the daytime...

2002 Dodge Durango Build-daytime-door-2.jpg

So, it went in pretty easily. Took about 10 minutes to get it installed, the window seems to be working now. Sorry I didn't get a pic of the new regulator, but I was too excited to put it in. I did get a video of it working though.

Last edited by OrdieJay; 03-28-2019 at 06:11 AM.

IYAOYAS

Member #
    Vehicle
    One of the main things that really bothered me was the rear trunk cargo area. The wood was was broken/missing which left a big gaping hole in the cargo area. Everything would fall in there and get lost or my toolbox slide in there and then tip over. It was a huge pain in the a$$. I had to do something about this!

2002 Dodge Durango Build-1.jpg

I found a piece of plywood laying around, so I took some measurements and then took my jigsaw to it. It's not perfect, I just kind of eyeballed it as it would be covered with carpet anyway. The carpet would fill in any gaps that were there.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-2.jpg

One of the hinges was missing and the clips that hold the hinges to the metal part in the trunk were broken. I glued the hinges to the metal using permatex black adhesive. It should hold it in place, not like I open that thing everyday or anything.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-3.jpg

I cut the hole for the latch and drilled screw holes for the hinges. I even took my forsner bits to the bottom side to make the attaching hardware flush with the plywood.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-4.jpg

I then cleaned it up and sprayed it with the Rustoleum Undercoating spray, just so it didn't have that plywood look to it. I think it had some laminated particle board in there before.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-5.jpg

2002 Dodge Durango Build-6.jpg

I attached the carpet to the plywood using some 3M Spray Adhesive and a little prayer. I don't have a staple gun, so I can't get the edges to stick to the plywood. It looks like they used staples before, because I had a hell of a time pulling each and every staple out of the carpet.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-7.jpeg

It's not pretty, but it works. I'll eventually find someone with a staple gun or break down and buy one. I have one back home in the States, but it's in storage and don't really want to ask my mom to go rummage around my stuff to find a staple gun and then pay the shipping fees to mail it here. I mean, it works... Holds my stuff upright and doesn't shift around. I don't have to toss my toolbox all the way in the back when I load it up. Btw, I use my toolbox at work, then I take it back to the apartment with me everyday. I used to leave it there and lock it up, but I own a Dodge now, so I better keep some tools handy. lol

2002 Dodge Durango Build-8.jpg

Till next time...
    Last edited by OrdieJay; 04-05-2019 at 02:49 AM.

IYAOYAS

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle

Leaking Wheel Cylinder, Broken Self Adjuster and Brake Shoe Replacement

I started driving the truck to work and noticed there was something wrong with the brake pedal. I stepped on the pedal and it would go all the way to the floor before it would slow down and eventually stop. I took it to the shop and the mechanic there told me that the brakes needed to be bled. He bled the brakes, put more glue on the headlight, and charged me $70 for everything. I start driving and there's a little difference in the brakes, but not much. He also said, that if it doesn't get better that I will need a pump. Don't know what pump he's talking about, but whatever. I keep driving it for a few more days with no change in the brakes. So a few days later I noticed some fluid coming from the right rear brake drum.

I removed the tire to do a little inspection...

2002 Dodge Durango Build-1.jpg

Here's a pic of the tire that's covered in brake fluid fluid from the leaking wheel cylinder

2002 Dodge Durango Build-2.jpg

Pic of the leaking wheel cylinder. I'm assuming that the air in the system was coming from the leaking wheel cylinder.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-3.jpg

A pic of the replacement parts I ordered from AutoZone.com. The driver side mirror is broken and is a safety issue, so I purchased the replacement glass (which was the wrong one!!). The door has this awful squeal when I open the door and I cringe every time I open or close the door, so I purchased new hinge pins and bushings as well.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-img_2369.jpeg

I pulled the old wheel cylinder out and replaced it with the new one from Autozone.com

2002 Dodge Durango Build-4.jpg

2002 Dodge Durango Build-5.jpg

After installing the new wheel cylinder, I began bleeding the brakes. I started with the right rear (furthest from the master cylinder), then I removed the rear left tire and began bleeding the air out of that line. The brake pedal was still going all the way to the floor. I was puzzled by this and so I removed the drum rotor and noticed the self-adjuster cable was broken.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-6.jpeg

I also noticed the brake shoes were cracked. I wasn't sure if this was normal, so I did a google search and people were saying that they might crumble over time and i wouldn't have anything left of my brake shoes. I ordered brake shoes and a wherever self adjuster kit from Advanceauto.com. I waited about 9 days for them to arrive and still had squishy brakes. Was hoping that replacing the leaking wheel cylinder would fix the squishy brake problem, but at least it wasn't dumping brake fluid everywhere and stuttering when I stop suddenly.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-7.jpeg

I installed the brake shoes on the "good" side that had the leaking wheel cylinder and took pictures of the self adjuster and how it was installed, so I can try to put the other side back together correctly, I tell you, the self adjuster is a pain in the a$$. It took a little while to get it installed and I was running out of time, so I didn't take any pictures of the install. However, I did get pics of how it was supposed to go together.

2002 Dodge Durango Build-8.jpeg

So when I was replacing the brake shoes I ran into an issue removing the little clips that attach the parking brake to the brake shoe. Is the actual part that goes on there and what is it called? I had a hell of a time removing it and replacing it. Looks like someone just put a piece of metal and wrapped it around the pin. Hope it stays on there!!

2002 Dodge Durango Build-9.jpeg

That was the first time I had ever pulled apart drum brakes and replaced brake shoes, hope I never ever have to do that again. I took it out for a test drive and everything seems to be in good working order. The brakes feel absolutely amazing and the pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor. It was a lot of work, but I'm glad that part is over. I wish I had ordered new spring kits for both sides and another wheel cylinder for the rear left side, so I won't have any issues. I'll check that off the list and move on to the next project.
    Last edited by OrdieJay; 04-05-2019 at 03:41 AM.

IYAOYAS

Sponsored Links