Infinity Wiring Question
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Infinity Wiring Question

Grasshopper
    Member #

Infinity Wiring Question

First off let me say that this site was a great resource for me to confirm that I did indeed want to buy a Gen 1 Durango. Two weeks ago I purchased a 2002 Durango R/T with 76k on her. She has a few issues like a horrible remote start install, bad heater element on drivers seat, and the crappy infinity speakers are toast.

I needed a third vehicle because my 05 Mazda 6's engine quit living after a 68k lifespan. This is my second dealing with the Duratec line of engines and the design still sucks with the way Ford goes ultra cheap on the engine build. Glad to grab a Durango for a primary vehicle but do miss my 6 and am saving up for a rebuild to get her back together.

Anyway, on to my question, I'm curious as to how the Infinity amp powers all the speakers and where the processing is done? I'm assuming the amp is 4 channel and the tweeter and mid is run in parallel or series? I need to upgrade the speakers to something tolerable but wasn't sure on the processing done to the front channels and how they were wired to match up the ohms properly. I'm going to run components, figuring on running the passive x-overs that come with the speakers or building my own, and was trying to figure out what I'd need.

I do have a crazy install that was planned for the 6 that I have been salivating over and was thinking of throwing it in the rango but didn't want to put that kind of $$ into it. I have a set of Focal K2P's to be ran active through a Genesis Series 3 4 channel amp with an audio control DQL-8 for processing. Never picked up a sub, but was planning on running a single IDMAX 12" running off an old school Orion XTR1400. This would be great for a Durango install in custom kicks and glass sub box, but then again the rango could be setup with some HLCD's up front (been wanting to do some horns in an install with butler or Tru Tech amps badly), IDQ midbass drivers in the doors and a single sub in the back. That would be a lot easier to implement in the Durango than a 6.

Ok, ok back on to a budget overhaul?

So I'm looking for info on how the speakers are wired hoping someone here has "been there, done that" so I don't have to rip everything apart to test it all out myself. I'm also getting ready to install my iPod2car adapter to the stock radio but can't stand to listen to the crappy speakers after listening to high end components for many years. I'll slowly overhaul the entire system but keeping the OEM radio if the SQ is worthy of a midline system.

Any help on this would be great as I searched for hours for a wiring diagram and found nothing out there in google land.

Member #
    Liked
    1556 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    Amp is behind the right-front kickpanel.

The tweeters are indeed wired in parallel with the woofers.

03 wiring attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Infinity Wiring Question-stereo_amp_1.jpg   Infinity Wiring Question-stereo_amp_2.jpg  
    If I am a good man and sure in all my ways
    The captain of a starship that's homeward bound today
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Member #
    Liked
    1880 times
    Vehicle
    2013 R/T D HEMI
    Mods
    DIABLO TUNING, 22 SRT WHEELS, AFE CAI, BILLET TECH GOODIES, CORSA
    I knew Tom would hook you up with a diagram.
    Steve
    DOC Pres

BRIGHT WHITE R/T, HEMIFEVER TUNING, CORSA EXHAUST, FMTB, AFE CAI
    BT GOODIES, 22" SRT8 REPS, RK SPORTS HOOD,KATZKIN INTERIOR

"Dodgedurango.net welcomes all members with open arms, regardless of social status, creed, color, vehicle color, vehicle model or how it is modded. The only thing we discriminate against is DISRESPECT... We're not friends we are FAMILY"
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/6411..._comment_reply

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Thanks for the quick reply and the wiring diagram. Looks like the speakers are crossed over individually instead of any active processing. Now to get some components installed and loose the buzzing stock mids. Hope I can pull off some decent sound while keeping it factory.

Member #
    Liked
    1556 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    If you keep the factory amp, be aware that it prefers 2-ohm speakers. 4-ohm will work, but won't be as loud.
    If I am a good man and sure in all my ways
    The captain of a starship that's homeward bound today
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The Infinity system isn't too bad if all the speakers are good and not crackling!

2003 Dodge Durango 4.7 4x4
    2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
    2014 Toyota Camry SE
    2000 Buick Century

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tomk
    If you keep the factory amp, be aware that it prefers 2-ohm speakers. 4-ohm will work, but won't be as loud.
    Yeah I have read that and will take a slight hit in power. I purchased a set of Phoenix Gold RSD 65CS comps to toss in the doors. First time with anything PG since the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by greendurango
    The Infinity system isn't too bad if all the speakers are good and not crackling!
    Isn't too bad at all and it totally destroys the Bose in my Mazda 6. One of the reasons I was working on a system for that car is it sucked. If the Infinity drivers weren't built like a home audio driver, it might have lasted a lot longer. Paper cones and foam surrounds aren't great for a car environment.

Finished the iPod2car adapter and it works great. I like having the ability to using steering wheel/radio controls to operate the iPod. Sounds nice and crisp compared to an FM modulator. Just waiting on some speakers. I hope to get the components installed tomorrow if they show up at my door. BTW what a crappy way to access the radio in the D. Wasn't fun, but I managed to get to it.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    I have my iPod running and components up front that sound good. The component install wasn't as bad as I was thinking it'd be. It's setup so I can pull the door panel right out by unclipping 2 connections on the panel and the crossover and tweeter can be removed as one unit. I'm tired and cold. My garage bay is way too small to do that kind of work so I did it outside with a halogen pumping 700 watts of light and heat. Glad it's done and will tackle the rear doors at a later date, but with the fade set to primarily the front the rears are acceptable as rear fill. Got a trip planned to the white mountains Saturday so I needed this done in a hurry. Now I need to recover from the soldering fumes and hot glue burns over a nice stiff drink. Thanks for the help with the diagram!

Sponsored Links