Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    11' Express Silver
    Mods
    K&N CAI

Unhappy Cleaning Under Hood...

Whats the best way to clean under the hood, Can a water hose be used, If so what needs to be avoided getting sprayed.
    2011 Durango Express
    K&N CAI I Coming Soon... I Coming Soon... I Coming Soon... I Coming Soon... I Coming Soon... I
    Coming Soon... I Coming Soon... I Coming Soon... I Coming Soon... I Coming Soon... I Coming Soon...

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Vehicle
    14 Durango R/T AWD
    Mods
    Mopar CAI- Fastman Throttle Body- Pussy Magnet
    I spray mine down on occasion with a garden hose and avoid spraying the alternator. If I want to really make it look good I also use a degreaser (simple green or something similar) again avoiding the alternator. I spray that off then warm it up to get to dry a little then use WD-40 liberally but again avoiding the alternator (degreaser and WD-40 will kill the alternator) you can place plastic or a towel over the alternator to be cautious. I would not spray the belts and pulleys with degreaser or WD-40 (dries them out)
    Then using a old rag wipe off the extra WD-40 and wipe the whole engine bay down with the now wet with WD-40 rag. Dust like to stick to WD-40 so I try and wipe it off but it leaves a nice clean shine. Then run the motor to get it hot... You will see the WD-40 steam off and may get on the paint and wind shield a bit (won't hurt either but a car wash after will take care of that and it should look great. Engine bag detailing just takes time and attention to detail.
    Hope that helps.
    Crewsin' likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    845 times
    Vehicle
    2007 Durango Night Runner
    Mods
    1 of 241 made
    People tend to dislike what I do, but in many years of doing this on many cars I've never had an issue. I use a pressure washer on the whole engine and bay. Always keeps everthing clean and I've never had any issues from doing it.
    Turborusty and NumberThree like this.
    2007 HEMI Nightrunner D
    1996 Ford E-350 SuperBeast

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    158 times
    Vehicle
    2013 Durango Citadel AWD HEMI
    Mods
    MOPAR CAI - Diablosport Trinity - Exhaust - Catch can - 180* stat
    I cover an open element air filter....but otherwise I've always sprayed the entire bay with Simple Green and then hosed off. Has worked for me trouble free for 20 years.

Turborusty

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Vehicle
    2013 Crew
    Another simple green and garden hose here to.
    Just remember if you've installed a CAI to cover the filter.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    same here, warm the engine with a 3 minute jaunt around the block so it's a "little" warm. Spray down with simple green. Let sit for 5 minutes or so. Long bristled soft brush on a few spots I know stay dirty and then hose the sucker off. Only cover open air filters. I used to cover the alternator with a piece of tin foil as its not going to allow any water or simple green to get on alternator and is easily molded around wires and such and won't blow off when I spray it down.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Bathroom Scrubing Bubbles works great too!

I wipe mine down with 303 Products every time I wash my vehicles so it's never dirty enough to use chemicals or a hose.

Wayne
    mantis, ctfolmar and Durangutan like this.
    Granite Crystal Metallic 2017 Durango GT - Shaved Emblems, Nokya 2500K Foglight Bulbs, OEM Trailer Hitch
    More Mods To Come!

Ingot Silver 2013 F-150 FX2 5.0L - Boss Adjustable Coilovers - ICON UCAs - UPR Oil Sep - Airaid Jr Intake - Jones Turbine - 170* T-Stat - Mag-Hytec Rear End Cover- AMP PowerSteps - Stiffler Traction Bars - Custom Expedition Limited Wheels - 33X12.50R22 Toyo MTs - DC Customs EVOX-R 2.0 Projector Swapped OEM HID Headlights - 3000K HID Fogs - Custom Tuned

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    Vehicle
    2017 R/T , Tech Package, Tow Package, Sun Roof, Black Top.
    Mods
    K&N. [email protected] 1/4 mile
    How the hell did you think of using Scrubbing Bubbles? I almost fell out of my chair when I read that LOL.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Vehicle
    2017 Durango SXT / 2012 Honda Pilot
    Mods
    Window visors, 4 - 32G dashcams for 360 recording. 2M ham rig (calsign N4ZAW).RF shielded PCM.
    I guess old habits die hard, and one I picked up from the NAVY and the local City, & being around construction equipment all my life was using a steam cleaner.. But if the damned thing was broken down (which was more often than not), we still used it's pressure to "blast the crud off the Cat". We always avoided the generator, open intakes, exhaust stacks and such... No sense in begging for trouble. "If you can't reach it, use a toothbrush". Sorry -- a bit of Capt Tennor humor there. At least, he always thought it was funny.

IOW -- I do what Durangutan does.. Pressure washer. I mask-off, or tape a plastic bag over the alternator if possible (if not, I just don't hit it). I use a cheap commercial spray de-greaser, or "GreaseLightning". Cleaning Under Hood...-greaselightning.jpg
    Avoid getting that stuff on the exterior paint. It won't harm it if you rinse it off before it dries, but the problem is that it strips the wax off wherever it touches, leaving streaks and spots... Uncool.
    I also hand-wash around the fuse box due to the pressure generally getting through to the blade contacts, relays and such.
    It sure gets the love bugs outta the radiator, tranny cooling fins, just don't get too close to it, or soft plastics, as the pressure can gerk them.
    When dry, I reapply a coating of No-Ox-Id on the battery terminals and all ground points. That stuff ain't cheap but a 'little dab'll do ya'.
    Last edited by NumberThree; 08-03-2017 at 04:41 PM. Reason: forgot sompin.....
    Durangutan likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    How the hell did you think of using Scrubbing Bubbles? I almost fell out of my chair when I read that LOL.
    Sorry, its been a while since ive been on so I'm a year and a half late on the reply but its as easy as can be. Ive been on the many different auto forums for close to 20yrs and its been spoken about many different times.

Cover all major electronic components, spray the scrubbing bubbles over the entire engine bay, take a brush to the extra dirty parts, let it sit 3-4mins then rinse off. Don't use a jet nozzle or pressure washer just more of a shower to rinse, a leaf blower helps dry it quicker, then apply dressing. As it was mentioned above I like 303 Products a lot but also find a product recently called SC1. Its sold as a plastic restorer and protector for offroad vehicles(atvs, dirt bikes, etc) and is say to make it so dirt doesn't stick to the plastics, making for easier cleaning.

Wayne
    Last edited by Z7What; 04-23-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    Granite Crystal Metallic 2017 Durango GT - Shaved Emblems, Nokya 2500K Foglight Bulbs, OEM Trailer Hitch
    More Mods To Come!

Ingot Silver 2013 F-150 FX2 5.0L - Boss Adjustable Coilovers - ICON UCAs - UPR Oil Sep - Airaid Jr Intake - Jones Turbine - 170* T-Stat - Mag-Hytec Rear End Cover- AMP PowerSteps - Stiffler Traction Bars - Custom Expedition Limited Wheels - 33X12.50R22 Toyo MTs - DC Customs EVOX-R 2.0 Projector Swapped OEM HID Headlights - 3000K HID Fogs - Custom Tuned

Sponsored Links