Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 2009 chrysler Aspen hybrid only one click but does not start

Grasshopper
    Member #

2009 chrysler Aspen hybrid only one click but does not start

2009 Chrysler was out of fuel so died and won't start...fill with gas ..still no start

I tried to jump start it because 12v battery was almost dead.

Now when I open the door it makes noise ....from under the remote battery post

and of course not start...

What is this noise and how to fix it and no start situation?

Member #
    Liked
    1578 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    oh wow, you have a rare machine there!

Not a lot of experience here I fear.. there were only about 1000 hybrids (durango and aspen) made IIRC.. and most no longer exist.

But I'd start with making sure the 12V battery is in good shape. If it is more than 4 or so years ago, it probably needs to be replaced..

...tom
    DuRonbo and Don Fox like this.
    If I am a good man and sure in all my ways
    The captain of a starship that's homeward bound today
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Almost sounds like a heavy duty relay powering up and chattering, potentially from not enough voltage (low/bad battery?) to fully engage.
    Agree with Tom, if the battery is 4+ years old, replace it. If it don't really need it now, it will soon anyway.
    These Dodge/Chrysler vehicles do crazy things when the battery becomes just a bit less than perfect.
    2015 SXT Plus, Billet silver

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Vehicle
    2008 Limited
    Mods
    Ongoing
    ^^^......x3 on the main battery replacement. My recently purchased 2008 has a 5 year old battery and it's marginal for starting especially after sitting for a couple of days. It'll be replaced later this week.
    Don Fox likes this.
    2013 Durango Citadel AWD White Knuckle paint
    2008 Durango Limited with every option available
    2004 Durango SLT (For Sale soon)
    2002 Chrysler 300m Special
    2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T

Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    Vehicle
    2004 Hemi SLT AWD Turned 100K Jan of '17. New engine September 2008 at 39K due to dropped valve.
    Curious:
    Try leaving the jump vehicle connected for several minutes, and run the rpms up on it to 1.5-2K along the way several times. This should impart some level of charge to the now dead battery, and eventually allow it to start. That noise could be a chattering relay or solenoid, but also sounds to me kind of like the air compressor on my 04 Crown Vic's rear air suspension.

Don
    2004 Durango SLT Hemi AWD "The Flame Red Rocket." ( 3/26/10 Cleveland, OH.)
    2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD (10/27/16 Dundee, MI.)
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers) (8/21/14 Chattanooga, TN.)

de N8ECH

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Noise I mentioned above ...just starts after I open the door...I dont even insert key in ignition or do anything else..just opening the door...and this noise start..

also I checked with OBD II connector and found 2 codes 1. C10bd chassis 2.c10b9 chasssi on torque app

I have 12v battery checked at both oreilly and autozone ..both said good battery ...and battery is only 6 months old ..it has 600 cca 12v battery.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    To jump start it says connect negative cable to engine ....I am not sure where should I connect one of end the negative cable?

There is negative remote battery post by the driver side fender under hood but that is mean to boost hybrid battery ..not the 12v battery

Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    Vehicle
    2004 Hemi SLT AWD Turned 100K Jan of '17. New engine September 2008 at 39K due to dropped valve.
    Curious:
    If the connections are accessible, I would make the jumper connections to the battery. Can you rotate the engine by hand at all? Possibly the starter has gone south?
    As Tom says, the hybrid Durangos are rare, and Aspens even more so. It's weird to think of a 5000+ vehicle running on electric, and seeing it move with out any engine sound is freaky!
    I have seen a couple of the hybrid Tahoes around town, and they are very quiet in the electric mode.
    2004 Durango SLT Hemi AWD "The Flame Red Rocket." ( 3/26/10 Cleveland, OH.)
    2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD (10/27/16 Dundee, MI.)
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers) (8/21/14 Chattanooga, TN.)

de N8ECH

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Vehicle
    2017 Durango SXT / 2012 Honda Pilot
    Mods
    Window visors, 4 - 32G dashcams for 360 recording. 2M ham rig (calsign N4ZAW).RF shielded PCM.
    That sounds like classic low-voltage delivered to the starter motor (bad battery, dirty connection, or chassis ground), or a defective starter solenoid, with fried, or dirty internal contacter points. We see a lot of those in the swamp down here in the monsoon season because of where the solenoid is mounted in the case of our MOPARs --- where it's easier just to replace the whole starter/solenoid assembly. Labor-wise, it end-up cheaper too.. Note that the starter's motor sees zero voltage until the solenoid closes all the way. Anyhow, sometimes you can narrow it down to solenoid failure by getting an assistant to try to start it, while you tap the case of the solenoid (the can on top of the starter) with the butt of a breaker bar, or something.
    Definitely sounds like low-volt under full load though..
    If no joy, thump all the grounds and main terminals while you have the assistant to twist the key, and you might find your fault.
    Last edited by NumberThree; 05-22-2019 at 10:13 PM.
    From the land of the midnight sauna
    My Hobby Homepage

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Well I agree with you about chassis ground because when I checked with OBD II connector it gave me two codes c10bd -- chassis as complete code and c10b9--chassis as pending code.

But this noise is coming from a part under the remote positive battery post ..and I can remove hose and hear the noise louder...I don't think noise is coming from starter related problem...it has something to do with air/vacuum

But I am not sure if 2009 aspen 5.7 double hemi hybrid has starter....I tried to find it few times but I could not ...so may be it does not have starter? please advise...Where is starter located if you are sure it has starter...I looked at back of engine and side of transmission...
    It has HEV light on now...

History was...it ran out of gas and even after filling gas .it did not start ...and not starting now ...
    Last edited by curiousv; 05-23-2019 at 12:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links