Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 2009 chrysler Aspen hybrid only one click but does not start

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Vehicle
    2017 Durango SXT / 2012 Honda Pilot
    Mods
    Window visors, 4 - 32G dashcams for 360 recording. 2M ham rig (calsign N4ZAW).RF shielded PCM.
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousv View Post
    Well I agree with you about chassis ground because when I checked with OBD II connector it gave me two codes c10bd -- chassis as complete code and c10b9--chassis as pending code.

But this noise is coming from a part under the remote positive battery post ..and I can remove hose and hear the noise louder...I don't think noise is coming from starter related problem...it has something to do with air/vacuum

But I am not sure if 2009 aspen 5.7 double hemi hybrid has starter....I tried to find it few times but I could not ...so may be it does not have starter? please advise...Where is starter located if you are sure it has starter...I looked at back of engine and side of transmission...
    It has HEV light on now...

History was...it ran out of gas and even after filling gas .it did not start ...and not starting now ...
    Major Woops! I'm so sorry I totally missed "Hybrid" in the thread altogether. I feel like a total idiot.
    From what I just researched, your Aspen is very rare! Less than 1,000 were ever produced, and that includes the Durango Hybrid run. MOF, I had no clue they even made a hybrid on 2009. I see they did, and still do! And you're right, there's no traditional starter. It starts from the electric drive motor via the 2-mode tranny.
    Be careful around the B+ side of that Li-Ion pack, as it is over 340VDC at mucho amps. It will kill you if you contact B+ and ground.
    Anyhow; If it were mine, I would keep that Aspen as a 'collector' simply due to it's rarity.
    And because of the codes you're getting, I would run a single 3/4" braided strap from the tranny case, to the engine, and then, to the frame and pray! My thinking is this would correct any ground fault. I would assume the Li-Ion pack is ok, or you would be getting an OBDII code for that too.
    Please forgive me for my poor reading comprehension.
    Last edited by NumberThree; 05-23-2019 at 02:47 AM.
    From the land of the midnight sauna
    My Hobby Homepage

Grasshopper
    Member #
    So u think chassis ground has problem?
    Another thing...battery should be 750 CCA but battery I have is 600 CCA ...(only 6 months old) ..
    do u think CCA lower than required by mfg. could cause starting problem?

Also, when I try to recharge the hybrid battery the navigation screen says 'system is off' ..I believe even if its low it should say 'charge insuffcient'
    do u think this is the reason why it would not start?
    Last edited by curiousv; 05-23-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Vehicle
    2008 Limited
    Mods
    Ongoing
    If it were me I'd remove the battery from the vehicle and try charging it that way. If it's successful then connections would be suspect. Same with "Jump Starting"....if the cables/terminals are corroded and not making good contact with the actual battery posts then you'll end up not starting/charging.

My 2008 Limited 5.7L build sheet shows a 750 amp battery...I would think it's the same on yours. Manufacturers have really been cheaping out on batteries in the last few years. Lacking in Capacity, Warranty and overall quality. Not to mention the price has been skyrocketing for an inferior product!

I still think you have have a connection or grounding problem.
    Last edited by DuRonbo; 05-23-2019 at 01:39 PM.
    NumberThree likes this.
    2013 Durango Citadel AWD White Knuckle paint
    2008 Durango Limited with every option available
    2004 Durango SLT (For Sale soon)
    2002 Chrysler 300m Special
    2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Window visors, 4 - 32G dashcams for 360 recording. 2M ham rig (calsign N4ZAW).RF shielded PCM.
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousv View Post
    So u think chassis ground has problem?
    Another thing...battery should be 750 CCA but battery I have is 600 CCA ...(only 6 months old) ..
    do u think CCA lower than required by mfg. could cause starting problem?
    Also, when I try to recharge the hybrid battery the navigation screen says 'system is off' ..I believe even if its low it should say 'charge insuffcient'
    do u think this is the reason why it would not start?
    At 600CCA, yes, that is somewhat underrated, and I would see if I could "borrow" a 750CCA from someone, just to see what happens... However, I would address those ground codes next, using jumper cables, or some other equally heavy gauge wire. Attach one of the jumper's cables to the tranny and the frame, and the other one, from engine block to trans, or frame, and see if you get anywhere. Those codes might just have something to do with the "System is off" while attempting to recharge symptom too.
    Even if it doesn't start, I would recheck OBDII codes while the temporary "jumper grounds" are bonded, to see if that cleared them.
    DuRonbo likes this.
    My Hobby Homepage

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by DuRonbo View Post
    If it were me I'd remove the battery from the vehicle and try charging it that way. If it's successful then connections would be suspect. Same with "Jump Starting"....if the cables/terminals are corroded and not making good contact with the actual battery posts then you'll end up not starting/charging.

My 2008 Limited 5.7L build sheet shows a 750 amp battery...I would think it's the same on yours. Manufacturers have really been cheaping out on batteries in the last few years. Lacking in Capacity, Warranty and overall quality. Not to mention the price has been skyrocketing for an inferior product!

I still think you have have a connection or grounding problem.
    Yeah, batteries have really gotten crappy since they pre-fill and charge them at the factory. Sure, it's 'convenient', but they start to degrade as soon as they're filled, so they go bad on the store shelves after about a year.
    And as you mentioned, the overall build quality has really 'gone China-spec' lately.
    Don Fox likes this.
    My Hobby Homepage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links