Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Well, It's Wrecked

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Durango SRT
    I'll post the pics, but they're not that impressive. I read the door sticker last night. I thought the Aspen weighed 5000#. Appears to be more like 6500#!! My 2500 CTD weighs 6700# and that's with an 1100# motor. I also noticed the "class 4" receiver isn't much more than the receiver welded to a thin wall crossmemeber. If worst comes to worst I found an '08 identical to what she has now that's about 220 miles away. Only thing is I haven't seen the lifetime drivetrain adevertized anymore and I'd lose the lifetime MaxCare that's on the current one. Plus we'd be way upsidedown as we took full advantage of the 0%/72 months (financed all of it, used all of Chryslers money so to speak).

Member #
    Liked
    1880 times
    Vehicle
    2013 R/T D HEMI
    Mods
    DIABLO TUNING, 22 SRT WHEELS, AFE CAI, BILLET TECH GOODIES, CORSA
    I think they'll probably fix it up for you.
    Keep us posted
    Steve
    DOC Pres

BRIGHT WHITE R/T, HEMIFEVER TUNING, CORSA EXHAUST, FMTB, AFE CAI
    BT GOODIES, 22" SRT8 REPS, RK SPORTS HOOD,KATZKIN INTERIOR

"Dodgedurango.net welcomes all members with open arms, regardless of social status, creed, color, vehicle color, vehicle model or how it is modded. The only thing we discriminate against is DISRESPECT... We're not friends we are FAMILY"
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/6411..._comment_reply

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    According to www.dodge.com, your GVWR is 6400 lbs, and that's what's probably on your door sticker, not the vehicle weight, which is stated to be 4647 lbs. Surprisingly, it's still lighter than my 2000 D (4865 lbs on my registration).

Sounds like replacing the rear axle and mounts are the critical issues, the rest being mostly cosmetic. Hopefully you can get a fully satisfactory repair.

Joe
    Joe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Durango Guru
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Vehicle
    '05 Durango SLT Fleet 4.7.
    Mods
    Westin step bars, Air Raid Jnr Intake Tube
    Kepp an eye on the wife and jnr3 for a couple of days. I felt fine after both of my smashes, right up till the following day, when I felt like I'd been run over by a semi.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Durango SRT

Anyone had any experience with diminished value claims?

To re-cap: Wifes new Apsen was broadsided on 11/12. Made the 2nd payment on 11/7. Since it has been in the shop another payment has been made. Looks like yet another will be made before we get it back. She was hit dead in the center of the driver side rear wheel. Pushed the axle over hard enough the pop one of the track bars off and bend the trailing arms on the driver side. When the trailing arms stopped bending the frame picked of the slack from there. Truck went in the shop on 11/21. It's still there. Shop is having a bear of time straightening the frame. Basically like trying to straighten 1/4 of a coke can without distorting the rest of the can. Rear hatch area and rear driver side door are out of alignment. They're replacing the busted suspension components and most likely the driver side axle, but not the entire rearend in spite of my insistance on the latter. If I try and trade this I'll take a monster hit (regular depreciation) plus the "repaired damage" or diminished value. This is obviously a third party claim (we're making the claim on the others insurance) and that seems to make a difference. Any opinions? Anyone ever claimed diminished value and won? Loss of use? They tried to give us $25 a day for a rental but my wife just decided to avoid the hassle and drive her old Intrepid. The $25 basically got a Taurus. No better than the Intrepid and not exactly the Aspen she was driving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well, It's Wrecked-wheresthebushing.jpg   Well, It's Wrecked-bustedtrackbar.jpg   Well, It's Wrecked-rearspring.jpg   Well, It's Wrecked-gastank.jpg   Well, It's Wrecked-wheel2.jpg  

Well, It's Wrecked-wheel_274.jpg  

Member #
    Liked
    1565 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    base curb weight is 4866lb on Chrysler.com?
    If I am a good man and sure in all my ways
    The captain of a starship that's homeward bound today
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    You should speak with an attorney. The "other guy's" insurance will ALWAYS try to screw you.
    There's ABSOLUTELY no reason your vehicle should be in any worse condition after the repairs. The other guys' insurance will always try to cut corners with you because they have no way to get that money back.
    Most attorneys will give you a free initial consult, you can decide where to go from there.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    oops, double post.

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew Cab and '42 Dodge Dually
    they didn't total it with damage like that? Bummer.

Member #
    Liked
    284 times
    Vehicle
    2004 Hemi SLT AWD Turned 100K Jan of '17. New engine September 2008 at 39K due to dropped valve.
    Duracuda:

Like others, glad the A took the punishment, and not your family.

As others have said, I'd be watching the whole process like a hawk, and even though the other guy's insurance is paying the body shop, they're in effect working for you. From your pics, the damage doesn't look too bad although the frame issue sounds a little scary.

My understanding is that most insurance companies will pay up to 85% of the current book value to repair a vehicle. IMO, that might be valid for an older car, but to put that much into a brand new vehicle to me means it took a hell of a beating. I wouldn't want a vehicle that went through that much.

Luckily yours is nowhere near that though. I was chatting with my local body shop the the other day on just this topic, and they relayed about a 30K repair to a fairly new Escalade that needed and got a brand new frame.

Make no mistake, insurance is a racket (sorry Indy.) Gone for the most part are the days of taking care of things without a bunch of hemming and hawwing to see what they can get away with.

You might want to consider having an independent inspection done before signing any type of release, and be sure you're satisfied with the work done. I believe you'll have a period of time in which to evaluate it , and get back to the body shop if you deem it's not right yet.

Re the rental, I'd tell them that the reason you paid for the big A was to protect your family. I'd politely but firmly advise them that you won't put your family in anything smaller than the A. Remind them that their client's negligence is the reason that you're suffering through this ordeal, and that unless they take care of you you'll see them in court.
    Ie, they can pay now or pay even more later.

Don
    2004 Durango SLT Hemi AWD "The Flame Red Rocket." ( 3/26/10 Cleveland, OH.)
    2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD (10/27/16 Dundee, MI.)
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers) (8/21/14 Chattanooga, TN.)

de N8ECH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links