Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 2008 Aspen full size spare information needed

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Vehicle
    2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited 4WD Hemi - 1 of just 4063 Aspens sold in the Canadian market.
    Thank you very much. It answers all my questions. It's exactly what I needed.

To be honest, I'm kicking myself for not removing the spare from my wrecked 2005 Durango before the flat-bed took it away.
    Durangutan and Don Fox like this.
    James

Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.
    Nova Scotia Lasers - LASER engraving/3D printing
    1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 - long term project
    2008 Chrysler Aspen (Hemi, AWD)
    1980 GMC Vandura G35 23' motorhome
    2003 Land Rover Discovery II SE7 - another project AKA money pit

Disclaimer: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, and may entirely lack a coherent theme.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Vehicle
    2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited 4WD Hemi - 1 of just 4063 Aspens sold in the Canadian market.
    Found a wheel for my spare. Got it off a totaled 2011 Dodge Ram 1500.

I also got 3 of 17x8 alloys from the same vehicle (the missing one was apparently destroyed in the same "incident" that totaled the Ram). I'm now looking for a matching fourth wheel. Once I have found it, the 17 inch alloys will be used for a set of winter tires. I'm currently hunting for a set of used winter tires with a couple of seasons worth of rubber left on them. Unlike provinces like Quebec, winter tires aren't required by law to be fitted here, so the use of winter tires is purely at the driver's discretion. I didn't run winter tires on the Durango, and found that the 265/65R17 summer tires made driving just a bit "unpleasant" on icy roads when the ABS and TC both went out due to a failed wheel speed sensor. We fitted studded tires to my wife's FWD car and the difference was amazing. Running studs on her car became much more important after the Durango had been totaled and we had to rely on her car in all weather conditions. Studded winter tires are allowed to be fitted from October 15 (4 days time), so that gives me more options in the used tire market. 245/70R17 or 265/65R17 tires both have the same rolling diameter as the 265/50R20 tires it came standard with, so that will allow me to use the same 245/70R17 spare in both seasons (although if I run studded tires in winter I am technically not permitted to fit an unstudded spare).
    Don Fox and Durangutan like this.
    James

Disclaimer: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, and may entirely lack a coherent theme.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Vehicle
    Doing some research on the wheels before I go shopping at the local salvage yard for a fourth wheel.

Wheel size information cast into back of the rim: 17x8Jx25.4 (decodes to 17" diameter, 8 inch width, 25.4mm/1inch offset)
    Part Numbers cast into back of the rim: 0ZR75TRMAA, 0ZR76TRMAA

Cross referencing those part numbers seems indicate that they most likely came from a Dodge Ram 1500 2006-2008, or a Dodge Dakota 2008-2011 ... so if they really came off a 2011 Ram as I was told, they certainly weren't original.

Next stage is to pull the factory 20" wheels from the Aspen, and see if they have the offset information cast into them. That will tell me if I'll need to have the wheels realigned when I do the summer/winter changeovers. Far too many people around here are extremely casual about mixing and matching wheels on cars, and nobody seems to understand that just because a rim will fit on the studs, it may not be right for the vehicle.

When we bought my wife's car, it had one OEM rim (with a winter tire) and 3 non-standard rims of a different width and offset (with summer tires of 2 different tire section widths). I actually had to get a parts donor car before I had a full set of factory specification (offset and width) wheels to put on it. We later bought some slightly used studded snow tires from a guy that had crashed and totaled his car with them on and had just refitted the OEM wheels before the insurance company picked up what was left of the car. I wasn't surprised he'd crashed, as the 4 rims that the winter tires were mounted on were obviously from 3 different makes of car ... 3 different widths, 3 different offsets, and 2 different hub locating diameters. About the only thing that was consistent was the wheel diameter and the bolt pattern. He gave us a brand new 5th rim with no tire mounted that he planned to have a tire mounted to use as a "full size" spare. I would have loved to see the first time he tried to use that spare ... the bolt circle was 1/2 inch bigger than the wheels that fitted his car.

My wife thinks I'm overly fussy and OCD about wheels, and I have no problems admitting to that. I want things done right.
    James

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links