Thread: Platinum plugs in a Hemi??

Nav
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Ram Crew Cab

Platinum plugs in a Hemi??

About to replace plugs at 32K in a Ram Hemi and my mechanic is suggesting double platinum plugs good for 100K. A friend has a 4.7 Dakota and he says platinum isn't recommended in his engine. I'm wondering if any such restriction applies to the Hemi. Any suggestions/comments appreciated. TIA
    Pete 09 Ram 1500 QC

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    If your only consideration is cost, just put in some stock Champions (non-platinum) or the Autolite eq. If you're looking for the finite gains of better plugs for mileage or performance, you can go the very expensive way of the E3 plugs.
    Hanson front bumper, Kennesaw rear bumper, Ranch9000xl's w/ remote, Detroit Locker, lots of other goodies

Nav
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Ram Crew Cab
    Well, what I'm trying to avoid is the expense of changing plugs every 30K. The double platinum plugs are only $2 more each compared to non-platinum which translates into a large savings over time since they're good for 100K. I'll check out the E3 plugs.

Thanks Mike.
    Pete 09 Ram 1500 QC

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Mike:

Although platinum plugs aren't recommended by Dodge for the 4.7 or 5.7 engines, you can run them. I ran a set in my 01 4.7 for 50k and was very pleased with them. I understand that entities such as police, fire, taxi, etc, have gone to platinum plugs in some cases due to their extensive idle time.

Whatever you do though, make sure a bit of no seize goes in there and, if it takes more than 4 -5 years to hit the 100k, I'd pull them based on time and not mileage so that you know they WILL come out. I've heard that when Ford and GM first went to the 100k plug interval, they didn't foresee some folks leaving the plugs in for 7-10 years and sometimes a plug or two would freeze up or strip when removal was attempted.

Just some food for thought. Also, unless you run the truck hard or idled extensively, the OEM plugs will probably go another 10-15k if need be.

Don
    2004 Flame Red Durango SLT Hemi AWD w/3.55's. "The Flame Red Rocket." A transplant from Cleveland, Oh on 3/26/10.
    2004 Midnight Gray Crown Victoria Sport 4.6L with 3L27's
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers)

Nav
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Ram Crew Cab
    What I'm reading is that the platinums have a higher resistance than stock plugs and, as a result, overheat and burn out the coil packs. Research continues. The E3's get mixed reviews as well.
    Pete 09 Ram 1500 QC

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    True, our older ignitions tend to drop when added resistance is put into the equation. I haven't heard enough about the Hemi/4.7 coil per plug setups as far as longevity problems to get a feeling for them, however, if they're built to the same quality as the old style coils, I'd have my doubts about them.

The E3 plugs are almost 4 times more than an Autolite eq but they do show marginal but measurable fuel savings over standard plugs and better emissions than a standard new plug from anybody else. As a matter of fact, I have a set of E3's I just put into my D to see how they rate for myself. Will let you know on how they turn out. I'm a great believer in the cheap plugs and 15k change outs, but we'll see.

I have to say these are the first plugs that I've ever seen that say not to gap them right on the box. It'd be rather difficult to do anyway with their design. I've seen real time shots of these plugs in comparison to conventional plugs and the flames spread is remarkably better with the E3. Emissions testing also show real differences in the amount of fuel need for a set rpm with the E3 being much less. That means cleaner burning and better emissions for us.

Time will tell.
    Hanson front bumper, Kennesaw rear bumper, Ranch9000xl's w/ remote, Detroit Locker, lots of other goodies

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 Grand Cherokees
    Based on looking at the plugs when I did 'em in my 5.7L at about 36K, I don't think platinums are gonna make one whit of difference.

All platinums do for you is reduce electrode wear. When I pulled my plugs, about half of them had a pretty heavy tan deposit on the insulator (probably 1/8" thick on some) and I think that's what the change interval is about. The electrodes looked like new and the gaps were about .004" wide on average. Based on that criteria, they could easily go another 36K.

I ended up putting Autolite 'double platinum' plugs in only because I could get them easily and they didn't run any different than the plugs I pulled out. At the current mileage rate, it'll be another year before these get pulled for a look-see.

I don't think true platinum plugs (with a platinum pellet on the center electrode) will have any effect on the coils. The platinum plugs that have a wire center electrode might though, I can see how those could have different current characteristics.

?tom
    "It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy ... Let's go exploring!"
    "diggin' the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine"
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Nav
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Ram Crew Cab
    OK, so I guess what I'll do is put in 5 stock plugs, 5 platinum, 5 E3's and leave one original plug in.
    Pete 09 Ram 1500 QC

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Mike:

All I've got to say is talk about being inclusive! With a decision like that, you should either be a Pollytician or work at a university

Don't forget now, if we REALLY want to do this right, we now need to form a committee and then mull it over for a month or so!

Don
    2004 Flame Red Durango SLT Hemi AWD w/3.55's. "The Flame Red Rocket." A transplant from Cleveland, Oh on 3/26/10.
    2004 Midnight Gray Crown Victoria Sport 4.6L with 3L27's
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers)

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 Grand Cherokees
    Pete, make sure you place the various plugs in statistically-valid positions so that we can get useful data from the experiment
    "It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy ... Let's go exploring!"
    "diggin' the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine"
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links