Thread: Sway issues 2016 RT AWD and Travel Trailer

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango RT AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa RT View Post
    I was referring to the Trailer Sway Damping that is factory equipment on a R/T with tow package. In post #35 you also mention sag...I would assume your Rear Load Leveling Suspension should pretty much remove the sag if you are loaded within specifications. Is it possible your suspension is not functioning as intended (no sway dampening or load leveling)? Maybe those are more sales gimmicks than anything else. I'm pretty much shooting in the dark but there is a X91S Rear Suspension Damper Part Module listing on my build sheet and maybe yours isn't functioning.
    Ah, that very well may be the case. I'm sure it does help some but I do think they exaggerate the feature a bit. When the dealer straight hitch towed it on the Durango I watched when they came back and I really couldn't tell where it leveled out any. The specs don't say how much load it will level but I'm guessing it isn't much. As for the build sheet, all I have is the sheet that would have come on the window. We ordered it so we got it after the factory started production. It doesn't specifically say anything about a X91S Rear Suspension Damper Part Module. It does say standard equipment "sport suspension" and "trailer sway dampening" and optional equipment "trailer tow group IV" and Class IV receiver hitch."

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa RT View Post
    You may not have meant it this way, but a WDH does NOT reduce tongue weight...it simply helps transfer some of it from your tow vehicles rear axle to the front axle. It seems like it does because the rear wont sag as much, but that's just because the tongue weight isn't leveraged out behind your rear axle as much and it is better balanced between your axles. This is different from what just beefing up your rear springs will do, which will keep the weight on your rear axle. I think you're on the right track with a WDH but since you're within towing specs the beefed up rear springs shouldn't be necessary, especially since your suspension is designed to "load level" already. But a WDH is not counter productive to handling tongue weight.
    I actually did mean it that way lol. Your explanation makes more sense though and is good to know. We should be getting the trailer back tomorrow so I'll see how it tows with the redistribution of weight. I went to a performance suspension shop today to explore other options and the guy there had a similar issue with his Air Stream trailer. He ended up flipping the trailer axels to the top of the springs to lower the trailer. I'm not to the point where I want to do that yet but it does have sufficient ground clearance to do it.
    I reached out to Air Lift they instructed me how to measure the coil springs. They are going to fit a kit to my specs. It's less than a hundred dollar investment if I decide to try it. A lot will depend on how the trailer tows with the adjustments that are being done. If it doesn't change much then I'm just going to get a truck and call it a day.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    I had a similar observation of your trailer in that it seem to sit really high which is OK if being towed by a 2500 pickup which sits high, but not so much for a low slung D.
    If you can lower the trailer, I bet that would really help especially with wind and would lower the drag too which would improve MPG while towing.
    2016 RT likes this.

Durango Jedi Master
    Member #
    Liked
    218 times
    They used to use a Cadillac Eldorado (front wheel drive vehicle) with a wdh and tow a trailer with no rear wheels on the car hauling a trailer around the track. If you are counting on the Nivomats actually working, I think that is your major problem. They haven't gotten that shock to work since they first put them on 1980's BMW motorcycles.
    2016 RT likes this.
    Hanson front bumper, Kennesaw rear bumper, Ranch9000xl's w/ remote, Detroit Locker, lots of other goodies

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    Rear "load leveling" doesn't really level.. it corrects the rear suspension height. With a lot of weight on the tongue and no WDH, the tow vehicle will still sit nose-high a bit.

A thought experiment: if you could somehow put maybe 3000lb on the tongue without breaking things, the front wheels would be up in the air.. no matter what the rear suspension does.
    2016 RT likes this.
    What?
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango RT AWD
    tomk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    Nice video.. if TL;DW, fast forward to 11:00 to get the summary.

Should we break this video out and sticky it?
    2016 RT likes this.
    What?
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango RT AWD
    Ok, the good news is Air Lift took my spring measurements, inside diameter 11.3cm and the length at ride height 22.8cm , and came up with Kit #60763, for the 2002-2005 Kia Sedona and said it would be the best option. Also good news, I got the trailer back home after moving the spare tire and putting larger LP tanks on the front to bring tongue weight to 700lbs. Bad news is it didn't fix the sway issue enough to where I'm happy with it for trips on the interstate. So, we will be trading the Durango for a 2500 truck in the near future. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    You might want to hook it up to that 2500 and do a tow test before signing the papers just in case.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Personal opinion - you have a wheelbase issue that is not going to be surmounted by anything other than a super strong sway control hitch and even then there's a limit to what it can do. You just have too much crosswind area for a D to have any hope of resisting it. What brand/model is your WDH?

You may still find you get some sway with a 2500 again unless you have a super strong hitch (like a dual cam setup). it's just inherent to the design of a tagalong vs a 5th wheel. You'll be assisted by the longer wheelbase but do not be tempted to go with the short box or you will not be much better off.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango RT AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    You might want to hook it up to that 2500 and do a tow test before signing the papers just in case.
    A friend of mine has a 2500 4x4 that he tows his TT with and said we could try it. My brother also has one with the Cummings diesel so we definitely plan to try it out first. Our Durango is just over a year old and has 11,000 miles on it so we will do better trading in the Dodge market. We got employee pricing on it when we ordered so we are in pretty good shape value wise, or at least as good as you can be trading a year old vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
    Personal opinion - you have a wheelbase issue that is not going to be surmounted by anything other than a super strong sway control hitch and even then there's a limit to what it can do. You just have too much crosswind area for a D to have any hope of resisting it. What brand/model is your WDH?

You may still find you get some sway with a 2500 again unless you have a super strong hitch (like a dual cam setup). it's just inherent to the design of a tagalong vs a 5th wheel. You'll be assisted by the longer wheelbase but do not be tempted to go with the short box or you will not be much better off.
    Yeah, wheel base is probably the biggest downfall considering the trailer is 30 foot hitch to bumper. It is a hyper lite so it weighs 5700lbs dry and around 6200 with all our gear, we travel pretty light. We have the Blue Ox Sway Pro but also tried a Eaz Lift Pro Series WDH with friction control. It did make it any better. We are looking at one of the 2500 4x4 with the Mega cab to maximize interior space. Our Durango is loaded, premium leather, technology package, etc. The only things it doesn't have it the engine block heater and DVD player, neither do we need. We ordered it like we wanted it and we are trying to get something comparable in a truck. The Mega cab has a 160 inch wheelbase so we are gaining almost 41 inches, gaining 3,600lb more tow capacity and adding 1,700 more pounds of tow vehicle weight. It that doesn't pull it right then I'm done with the camper.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sponsored Links