Bob
    I sure hope so, thank you!

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Vehicle
    2015 R/T AWD
    Mods
    20x9.5 Hellcats w/ 275/55R20, Catch Can, Husky WeatherBeaters and Mud Guards, Mini console swap
    Checking tongue weight is a must as others have pointed out.

Another thing could be that your "trailer sway dampening" may not be functioning properly. Not sure how to verify that. Also, if I was going to tow at the Durango's limits I would be upgrading to better tires (not P rated). Load range E isn't necessary but I'm sure the F150 they used had a better tire for towing.

Which brings me to my next point. 30' on this short of a wheelbase is a little wild in my opinion although I know folks do it. You're pulling a billboard with a high center of gravity and looks like the front design of the trailer may push air under the trailer more? I'd be going to a 1/2 ton if you don't need the 3rd row.
    2015 R/T AWD, Tow, Tech, Nappa, Captains
    2004 Ram 1500 Offroad, Tow, DIY CAI...
    1980 IH Scout Traveler, Midas, Rallye

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango RT AWD
    Well I can say without any doubt whatsoever that the manufacturers specs aren't even close to accurate when it comes to tongue weight. The dealer measured the tongue weight today with a scale (they had all along). With the twin 30lb propane tanks, two batteries, hitch and my gear it weighs 620lbs. Forest River lists it at 625lbs with just the tanks so we now know that is not correct. Obviously not enough tongue weight. So we are going to swap the 30lb propane for 40lb tanks so that will add 32lbs. We are going to more the spare tire to the tongue and I'm guessing that will be another 50lbs. We are also adding a Rack-It bike rack to the front and that is 25lbs plus the two bikes at 85lbs. That adds about 192lbs to make it 812lbs. That should put us in a good place. If not, new truck in July...

I also ordered the air spring helpers today so we don't have to use a WDH to level out the Durango. Plus it helps from wearing out the stock suspension towing a frequent load.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango RT AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa RT View Post
    Checking tongue weight is a must as others have pointed out.

Another thing could be that your "trailer sway dampening" may not be functioning properly. Not sure how to verify that. Also, if I was going to tow at the Durango's limits I would be upgrading to better tires (not P rated). Load range E isn't necessary but I'm sure the F150 they used had a better tire for towing.

Which brings me to my next point. 30' on this short of a wheelbase is a little wild in my opinion although I know folks do it. You're pulling a billboard with a high center of gravity and looks like the front design of the trailer may push air under the trailer more? I'd be going to a 1/2 ton if you don't need the 3rd row.
    Assuming you are talking about the WDH sway dampening, it shouldn't be an issue as the hitch is brand new. Aside from that they have also tried a different hitch and also straight hitch towing and it was the same. Our Durango has Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus 265/50R20 107T SL and are supposed to have a max load rating of 2149lbs. I'm assuming it is a passenger rated tire. I'm not sure about the tires on the truck they towed it with but I'd assume they were LT's because he uses it to tow trailer for a living.

I have talked to several people that tow 30' or longer trailers with a Durango that actually weigh a lot more than ours and have not issues. The Durango was purchased specifically for comfortable travel being we are now retired and we frequently travel with two other couples (outside of travel trailer travel) or our two dogs. So the interior capacity is ideal. That is why we are trying to sort out the issues with the Durango rather than just buying a truck. I don't want $100,000 wrapped up in two vehicles so the Durango would have to go and we are trying to avoid that.

Member #
    Liked
    325 times
    Mods
    2013 Redline R/T: HemiFever Tune, CORSA, Billet Tech CC, AFE CAI, 20% Tint, 22x9 SRT Reps, BREMBOS
    remember what u take off the rear will add hitch weight possibly, so moving a 50 lb spare tire may add 100
    2016 RT and Citadel Brian like this.
    2013 RedLine R/T. 22" SRT REP, SRT Brembo 6/4 Calipers/Drilled & Slotted Rotors, 15% Tint, LEDS. 430N, Tow Package ,Sunroof. AFE CAI, Diablo Trinity, Hemifever Tune,180 TStat, Fastman 85mm TB w/backcut, Billet Technology's Catch Can, Corsa Cat back, RK Sports Ram Air Hood.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango RT AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB8 View Post
    remember what u take off the rear will add hitch weight possibly, so moving a 50 lb spare tire may add 100
    Very true. I think that will help as well.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango RT AWD
    As for being at the towing limits of the Durango, we are well under the 7400lb tow rating. Right now, with current configuration and gear, we are just under 6,000lbs. If we add the additional weight mentioned above we would be at 6,200lbs. That would put us at 84% of the tow rating. Although adding additional suspension support via air spring helpers doesn't increase the rating it does lessen the strain on the suspension and makes it safer to drive by reducing bounce if nothing else. I'm comfortable with the weight being towed, it's the length that may pose the biggest issue.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 RT View Post
    As for being at the towing limits of the Durango, we are well under the 7400lb tow rating. Right now, with current configuration and gear, we are just under 6,000lbs. If we add the additional weight mentioned above we would be at 6,200lbs. That would put us at 84% of the tow rating. Although adding additional suspension support via air spring helpers doesn't increase the rating it does lessen the strain on the suspension and makes it safer to drive by reducing bounce if nothing else. I'm comfortable with the weight being towed, it's the length that may pose the biggest issue.
    It's actually 7,200 on the AWD and max tongue weight is 720.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango RT AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by lawduck View Post
    It's actually 7,200 on the AWD and max tongue weight is 720.
    I guess that depends on where you look. Either way if it is 7,200lbs I'm still only at 86% with a tow weight of 6200lbs.

Sway issues 2016 RT AWD and Travel Trailer-towing.jpgSway issues 2016 RT AWD and Travel Trailer-towing2.jpg

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango RT AWD
    I found out today that the rear coil springs in the 2016 Durango AWD RT's are a different size than other models of the 2016's (probably so for a few other years). I was going to buy the Firestone Ride Rite air helper springs but they are on back order. So, I decided I'd get the Air Lift 1000's. Some sites said they fit while others said the RT was excluded. So I called etrailer.com as they show them as a direct fit. He called Air Lift who confirmed they did not fit due to the difference in spring size. Apparently they don't have the specs for the RT springs. I tried to find the specs online and all I came up with on the Dodge website was they are 22mm shorter.
    I went on to Firestone's site and they show the Ride Rite 4184 fits but they don't specify for the RT sub-model. I sent them a request but haven't heard back yet. I suspect they will say the same thing. I can't even find replacement springs online to see what the specs are. I think I'll get with the local Dodge service department tomorrow to see what they come up with.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links