Dodge Durango Forum banner

Weight distribution hitch and sway control

16K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Chase300 
#1 ·
I made a couple of posts in December of 2016 regarding our plans to get a Durango for my wife's use plus as a tow vehicle. Shortly after the posts, we got a nice 2015 Durango Limited AWD 3.6L with the trailer tow package. Based on comments in this forum, we got the Tekonsha P3 brake controller from eTrailer.

We still don't have the travel trailer. The model we are looking for is the Jayco 23B hybrid. It has a GVWR of 4950 lb and a tongue weight of 410 lb.

Having no experience towing a travel trailer, I am wondering if I need to get a weight distribution hitch, and if so, should I get the sway control feature also? Does anyone have a specific recommendation?

Thanks!
Craig

#2 ·
We recently got our new travel trailer and I tow it with my 2015 RT with tow package. Weight and sway distribution hitch is highly recommended I would say necessary in order to pull that much weight. We got a Jayco 25bh is almost 6k pounds and 30 feet long Durango does well pulling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
100% yes, get the WDH with sway control. My last trip to maine, I remembered the WDH but totally forgot the sway control and wished I had it the whole way. I've towed my camper each way and will never go back. You won't regret it.

#4 ·
Yes WDH required at that weight.

Something like a Reese SC hitch has integrated sway control, just hitch up and go.

#5 ·
WDH highly recommended. I have the Equalizer 4 Point system which has built in sway control. Don't forget to add WDH weight to the tongue weight. My numbers are hitch tongue capacity 720lbs (factory installed) 10,000lbs hitch capacity, and it weighs 88lbs.

#6 ·
From what I have read, it is best not to get a WDH that is rated much more than the trailer. So with a GTW of around 5000 lb and a TW of around 500 lb, here is a link to the Reese 49902 Pro Series. It is rated for a GTW of 10,000 lb and a TW of 750 lb. Seems like a good match for a Durango with a tow capacity of 6,200 lb. Comments?

https://www.amazon.com/49902-Pro-Co...e+weight+distributing+hitch+with+sway+control

#8 ·
It is in a way becuase of the way the travel trailers are weighted, plus the drag they produce behind a vehicle. Typically unless your pulling a big cabin cruiser or pontoon boat your not going to need one with a boat.

#10 ·
My 2014 owner's manual (page 127--Trailer Towing Weights) says that loads over 3500lbs require a weight distribution hitch.

Based on the recommendations of tomk and Lauren I got a Reese WD/SC hitch with 800lb bars: find it here. I'm very happy with how it tows and I recommend it because it is easy to hook up and you have such flexibility for install options.

#11 ·
49901 would be a better match I think.. bigger is not better in a WDH.. the folks at etrailer or reese could probably advise you..

Note that you have to disconnect the sway control to back up with the 4990x series, and you'll have a bit less ground clearance than with an SC-style setup..

Reactions: thomas nguyen
#12 ·
Closing the loop on this thread:

We found the travel trailer we were looking for. It's a 2015 Jay Feather X23B (same model mentioned in the OP above). We bought it from the original owner. The dealer had installed a Pro Series 49903 WDH with sway control when it was purchased. While it is a little over-rated for our needs, after pulling the TT twice I'm satisfied that it works fine. I posted a photo in the pinned post by BigDutch.

#14 ·
The WDH is relevant to the tongue weight more than the total trailer weight. I have no idea what the tongue weight is for a 5000# boat, but a TT would probably run between 600# and 750#. A heavy tongue takes weight off the front tires and makes steering and stopping dicey, which the WDH corrects. I've got the 5.7L, but my owners manual says towing anything over 3500# requires a WDH (even with the self leveling rear suspension).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.