Dodge Durango Forum banner

Let's see those Durango towing pics!

130K views 209 replies 113 participants last post by  K70-Ingo 
#1 ·
Great to see Durangos being used to their potential!
Show 'em off ladies and gents.

#93 ·
Great pics all, I am thinking of grabbing an RT AWD and will be towing a 7x16 trailer with some motorcycles in them, jut curious is there a certain electronic brake controller that works better with the Durango and would you recommend dealer install? Also would you recommend a weight distribution hitch, in most of the photos is looks like the rear is sagging a little. Thanks

#94 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Trailer

2011 Crew AWD 5.7L and OEM Tow package towing a 5100 dry 29' travel trailer with Equalizer weight distribution hitch and brake controller.
With regards to the tow limit question, my owners manual for the 2011 says not to exceed 3500# without the tow package (7200# with tow package).
Mitch

Here's a pic hooked up for towing. E2 hitch. Cat scale info on separate thread.
Transport Vehicle Asphalt Mode of transport Parking

#98 ·
Greetings. Brand new to the forum and pleased to see your set-up. I'm ready to place my order for a new '18 RT after putting a deposit on a new 24' travel trailer. I'll be using a W/D hitch with sway bars but wondering how you like the rear load levelling in conjunction with your set up?

#131 ·
Just an FYI on the rear load leveling when you setup your weight distribution hitch. I use an E2 WDH, and setup instructions said to disable self leveling function. I called Fastaway because the self leveling on the D can't be turned off. The tech told me they have had the best luck bringing the front fender measurement back to or slightly under the orig height for those kinds of vehicles. Manual indicates to bring front measurement 1/2 way back to original. Every WDH setup will be different, but wanted to mention that.

#99 ·
Picking up my wife's little toy.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Compact car

#101 ·
No issues at all with the lift gate or the lowered suspension towing.

Thanks!!

#103 ·
Nice! We have been looking at getting that size of a camper. We have a family of four, so not sure if it would work for us or not. How's your experience with it, do you like it?

#106 · (Edited)
I like many others found my previous vehicles didn't have what I needed when getting into RV'ing and towing. I finally settled on a Honda Ridgeline and it was great until we decided to upgrade the RV and maybe try going a little more cross country camping, just didn't have power. I didn't want an Expedition or Suburban or a pickup. The Tahoe doesn't have enough towing capacity and those vehicles were way out of reach for me brand new and still insane priced used. We really wanted a family vehicle that was easy to get in the garage, park downtown and get around town as well and have pretty good MPG's. The last time I saw a Durango I would never want one! The Newer Durango R/T had a great look, has awesome power, my wife loved it after she drove it, really liked the size, being able to park it easy and the price was great from Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg Idaho, I will never buy a car anywhere else again. I did everything over the phone and texting, made an appointment and went and got the car, I even traded in my Ridgeline. Easiest car I have ever purchased.

I suggest getting a sway control stabilizer bar setup. I also had to add the trailer brake controller, super easy, there is already a wire harness for it, you just buy the controller and the connector wire harness. I have a 2016 Durango R/T with the tow package so it has the hydraulic suspension. The stabilizer bar makes a huge difference. When your on the freeway going 60-65 and people blow by you and when your in heavy winds. I never had an issue with my other vehicle towing without the stabilizer setup but the Durango really benefits from it. To explain how it feels when you install it, it is like you are one big long vehicle with your trailer. When you don't have it the trailer can sway back and forth independently from the vehicle and make things feel uncomfortable in heavy winds, wind gusts or when being passed by another vehicle. The freeway is where I noticed the issue when being overtaken by another car in the lane beside you, the air the other car is pushing hit the trailer first and whipped it over then when you feel the tug of the trailer the air from the passing car hits your vehicle, so the that combined with the trailer getting push over really feels uncomfortable to you behind the wheel. I don't have any issue with that now. I have also driven in really band winds and it wasn't really bad at all. Plenty of power with the HEMI. We are coming up on our second year of ownership and still love the Durango. This is what I have towed so far:

Cruiser RV - Shadow Cruiser S20HS
Jayco 23BHM
SeaDoo Challenger 1800

Attachments

#153 ·
I suggest getting a sway control stabilizer bar setup. I also had to add the trailer brake controller, super easy, there is already a wire harness for it, you just buy the controller and the connector wire harness. I have a 2016 Durango R/T with the tow package so it has the hydraulic suspension. The stabilizer bar makes a huge difference. When your on the freeway going 60-65 and people blow by you and when your in heavy winds. I never had an issue with my other vehicle towing without the stabilizer setup but the Durango really benefits from it. To explain how it feels when you install it, it is like you are one big long vehicle with your trailer. When you don't have it the trailer can sway back and forth independently from the vehicle and make things feel uncomfortable in heavy winds, wind gusts or when being passed by another vehicle. The freeway is where I noticed the issue when being overtaken by another car in the lane beside you, the air the other car is pushing hit the trailer first and whipped it over then when you feel the tug of the trailer the air from the passing car hits your vehicle, so the that combined with the trailer getting push over really feels uncomfortable to you behind the wheel. I don't have any issue with that now. I have also driven in really band winds and it wasn't really bad at all. Plenty of power with the HEMI. We are coming up on our second year of ownership and still love the Durango. This is what I have towed so far:

Cruiser RV - Shadow Cruiser S20HS
Jayco 23BHM
SeaDoo Challenger 1800
Yup, the sway is felt even more in a Durango due to it being a unibody and not a body on frame. Unlike a truck, Trailer input is felt more pronounced because its fed directly to the Durango’s structure. As you guys are showing, the Durango is a great tower, when equipped properly.

#107 ·
Tripndrag, nice D and I like the variety of toys! Curious why you say the Tahoe tow capacity wasn't enough, my 2010 that I had before my D had an 8,000 lb. rating, and it was just the 5.3 and 6 speed, not the 6.2. I definitely understand your decision but was curious about that point.

#108 ·
Well, I saw this:

Text White Font Line Logo

I didn't do a lot of digging into the towing specifics after I looked at the pricing, for what I wanted it was 20k more dollars than what I ended up paying for the decked out Durango posted pricing vs posted pricing the normal Tahoe's was much less expensive.

I just searched again and found the same information on the Tahoe tow rating but, after digging around I found the owners manual which looks to be the same for 2015 and 2016 which has a much larger towing range supported based on features:

Text Line Font Number Parallel

Trying to find the right vehicle to match the higher tow rating with the level of help at a dealership around my area probably would have been a pain in the neck. I love the look of the newer Tahoe. We rented one of the newer ones and went on a family trip with my parents and I really liked it. I didn't like the 4x4 system. For my wife and daughter I think the Durango 4WD system is much nicer and coming from my wife driving imports with the traction control and awd systems I didn't want to have her or my daughter trying to figure out how to get it in 4WD. I don't know how the Auto 4x4 system works on the Tahoe but since it was a setting I think it could end up breaking or not engaging at some point. I didn't like the Tow/Haul setting, I think a vehicle should just be able to handle the towing like in the old days. I have heard and read a lot of stories where "they forgot to turn on the tow/haul" and destroyed the transmission. I also didn't like the way you put the transfer case in N for towing. We were maybe thinking at down the road getting a motor home and I like that the Durango still has a somewhat normal transfer case shifter that still shows a Nuetral. It seemed like it would be easier to tow with the lower profile. I also noticed not all Tahoe's had a low range for the 4x4, not a must but it is somewhat easier for those steep boat ramps and steep camp ground spots when parking the trailer. I also didn't see much on the auto leveling suspension with Chevy. I absolutely love the suspension on the Durango.

So far after a couple years the interior in my R/T is holding up great. The seats still look brand new, the cabin is super quiet with no rattles, squeaks. We got the rear captains chairs with center console just like the front is setup. We can only carry 6 passengers with that setup but man it is just as comfortable sitting in back as it is in front and it has been really nice to have the rear seat heaters as well. We have an issue every once and a while when trying to haul a bunch of kids where having the rear bench to get that 1 extra person in there would be nice but my wife and daughter always say it wouldn't be worth giving up the nice rear seats and center console.

Thank you for the clarification on the Tahoe towing. It is nice that they have so many options

#109 ·
I really enjoyed my Tahoe, but the driving experience of the D is night and day better. And, towing with my 2015 D vs. the 2010 Tahoe is again a huge improvement. Not that the 5.3 in the Tahoe towed badly, it actually was fine if you are willing to wind the engine up a bit, but there's an effortless feel to towing with the D in the 4,500 lb. range that my boat/trailer weighs that I really enjoy. I suspect the 2018 Tahoe with updated tranny tows better than my 2010 did.

I like the Durango in snow but the posi in the Tahoe gives it the edge there IMO.

Like yours, my family really likes the comfort of the D. When I traded the Tahoe there were some groans from the kids, they are just really comfortable vehicles to ride in, but after a couple of days they were sold on the Durango.

#111 ·
I really suggest you get a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bar. You can get a hitch setup at harbor freight that works well, they also come with the parts that go on the trailer. It is kind of an older style but those type were used for a long time and work well.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-lb-capacity-weight-distributing-hitch-system-67649.html
They also have a great sway bar:
https://www.harborfreight.com/trailer-sway-control-kit-96462.html
You can also find them used as well. The newer setups at the camping stores are also great as well but they are pretty expensive. They make a world of difference. It is a bit of extra time when your hooking up the trailer but well worth it. If you are towing something that big without one and you end up installing one it should be totally different to tow when your finished. There are videos on youtube on how to set them up, super easy.

It keeps the trailer level of if you have a 2 wheels on each side of the trailer which keeps the trailer suspension a lot quieter while driving. Keeping it level also helps with trailer tire wear and helps the suspension on the trailer work properly and not be stressed from being at an angle. It really helps the vehicle stay level and not squashed down in the back. The sway bar, although it doesn't look like much, also makes a big difference, totally worth the money for everything.

#113 ·
If you go back in this thread, there are tons of trailers listed with photos. I personally am towing a Jayco 23bhm 4980lbs, GVWR on it is 6250. Love the trailer, 2 bunks for kids, Queen murphy bed for me and my wife, their is a nice couch when the bed is up, the big U shaped dinette along with the couch is awesome if you all want to sit in the nice cool camper and watch tv in the heat of the day. The shower is large enough to actually use. The only upgrade I did was a elongated residential style toilet, dometic 320 series off amazon. I bought a couple pex fittings as well so I could connect the water line back up to it. Took 15 minutes to install it. We cram the car full of stuff, the trailer full of stuff, hitch mount double bike rack on the trailer hitch with 2 bikes, 4 people in the car, ice chests, bags, food so much stuff it is insane and have no issues at all towing. I have seen a lot people with 28 and 30 foot trailers as well.

#118 ·
So many 3rd generations! Here's my '06 Limited pulling by great grandfathers '52 Windsor halfway across the United States last year. It was like nothing was there at all most of the time and I pulled at least 75 MPH. Burned all the gas available for six states too! It was a great trip just me and my two kids, racing out from the west coast to the great plains for a visit and bring the car back. Just tried to make the most of spring break!
Factory tow package, but not the 3.90 gears, CAI, Magnaflow y-pipes and muffler, everything is 3" after the catalysts. Need to add the load adjusting shocks, currently running KYBs. I think I was in the 170K mileage range there? I'm over 190K now, still does all the things.

Rear-view mirror Automotive mirror Vehicle Car Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Full-size car Family car