Dodge Durango Forum banner

Let's see those Durango towing pics!

130K views 209 replies 113 participants last post by  K70-Ingo 
#1 ·
Great to see Durangos being used to their potential!
Show 'em off ladies and gents.

#64 ·

I've added a 5-1/2" drop hitch to accommodate the tongue height

#67 ·
Helping a friend. The transmission blew in his '97 K1500 Chevy truck. We loaded it on my trailer and towed it about 120 miles from central NJ to a transmission shop in the Pocono mountains. Lots of slow steep hills on narrow 2 lane winding roads.

The Chevy truck weighs about 4700 lbs and the trailer is 1400 lbs for a total of 6100 lbs. I usually tow my Corvette which only weighs about 3200 lbs. My Durango R/T did great. It dropped down into 3rd gear for some of the slow winding very steep hills, but still had plenty of power.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Luxury vehicle

#69 ·
Helping a friend. The transmission blew in his '97 K1500 Chevy truck. We loaded it on my trailer and towed it about 120 miles from central NJ to a transmission shop in the Pocono mountains. Lots of slow steep hills on narrow 2 lane winding roads.

The Chevy truck weighs about 4700 lbs and the trailer is 1400 lbs for a total of 6100 lbs. I usually tow my Corvette which only weighs about 3200 lbs. My Durango R/T did great. It dropped down into 3rd gear for some of the slow winding very steep hills, but still had plenty of power.
View attachment 68857
Some of those Pocono mountains roads are pretty steep, that's a nice performance by the D pulling 6100 up them.

#73 · (Edited)
here is my 2015 3.7 sxt appearance package pulling my new 2017 jayco 26' toy hauler.
DD rated for 6200
jayco 222 super light dry weight roughly 5200
techonsha P3 brake controller
pulled this trailer around 100 miles empty at 60-70 MPH and used mostly 4th and 5th and cruised in 6th
will be hauling my 2009 zx14, will keep you posted on how she handles an extra 500lbs in the back
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Automotive tire

#82 · (Edited)
Well here we are with our small utility trailer filled with concrete cap blocks and bags of gravel (near the weight limit for the trailer itself) and fence pickets in the back on the cargo area diaper. The 5-1/4" drop adapter was about perfect for the job. Other than some noise with the adapter in the hitch receiver over bumps, you would never know there was anything back there.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Compact sport utility vehicle

#88 ·
New to the forums but figured I'd add in our newly acquired trailer on our 2013 D. Trailer is a Grand Design Imagine 2800BH, Equalizer WD hitch, Tekonsha p3 controller.

View attachment 76162
The Hemi I assume? Does it do OK? I've got a trailer of similar weight currently pull with F150, but looking to switch to a durango with the Hemi. Just nervous about pushing the towing capabilities so close.

#89 ·
Ours is just over 5200lb dry and we've never had a problem. We have 4 kids so the D is loaded pretty good as well. 5600lb dry is heavy for a dry weight, but it just depends on how much more weight you add to it when you tow. If you load it up then you might be pushing it. You need to look at your total weight as well as dry. We've pulled out all over the Northwest with grades over 7% for miles and it does just fine.