Dodge Durango Forum banner

Towing with a Durango questions

10K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  bobbyh09 
#1 ·
So I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to buy a used Durango.. anywhere form a 2011-13 probably..
My question is what Durango should I be looking for to be able to tow an Ice Castle/RV Edtion with a dry weight of 6160 lbs, probably closer to 6500 once loaded..
The ICE Castle itself is a 8' wide x 21' long, dual axle unit with a "V" shaped front of the trailer. Land vehicle Vehicle RV Transport Car

Its similar to the picture.
I know its going to be a V8 for sure. I'm just not sure if its the R/T, Citadel or will any model due?
I'm assuming it can pull it but wanted to start here to get some feed back from the people that own a Durango.
What should I be looking for as far as hitch options and or tow/haul buttons or towing packages?
Any help would be great. Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Why are you stopping at the 2013? The 8spd came out in 2014 and it is much better than the 5spd used in the 11-13s. The 2014s are widely available used and you can probably find one equipped the way you want for a good price.

As far as equipment, get one with the OEM tow package already equipped. The 2014 RT comes with the load leveling suspension and upgraded cooling already so the tow package basically just adds the brake controller hookup under the dash, the receiver, and the bumper cover with brake light connections. In the 14+, there is no tow/haul button.

Finally, get a good brake controller and a weight-distribution and sway control setup. I love the Reese system that Lauren and tomk recommended to me--it really changed the way my truck feels with the loaded trailer behind me. Not to sound too cheesy but I'll never tow without it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
The only reason I'm stopping at 2013 is price basically but if i can find a '14 for a good price I'll go that route.. I already have plans to pick up a WDH with sway control. I've heard the same thing over and over that its a must.. Thanks for the help so far. I just don't want to buy the wrong vehicle. Right now I'm pulling it with an 2001 GMC Yukon with no air bags and its a bear to pull I don't have the WDH or sway control yet either so I'm sure that would help.. I haven't taken it too far with that rig but this winter I'll be heading out on some long fishing trips and want to have the right set up.

#5 ·
My charger has the 5spd and it's a capable transmission, but I would recommend moving the 8spd higher on your priority list--even if it means you have to wait to find one in your price range.

My car trailer probably weighs about 6500lbs loaded and our Durango does just fine with the setup I have. I lowered our Durango so it squats a bit because of the springs but the OEM RT springs and load leveling shocks were very capable. I towed from New Hampshire to Louisiana within a week of taking delivery and loved it. I wrote about my experience on here somewhere.

I doubt you'll find anyone on here that wouldn't recommend their Durango as a tow vehicle but we may be a little biased. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigB
#6 ·
Factory tow is important. Take the VIN of any vehicle you are considering and get the buildsheet; often the "tow package" is "added on", but that's a big enough rig that you want to have the whole kit (in particular the cooling fan, which can't be added on).. and with the factory option all the wiring just works (not uncommon to find that an aftermarket or Mopar wiring setup doesn't actually have the brake wire connected)

I would go with a V8. The Pentastar V6 is a nice engine, but the V8 will take towing much more in stride. I think the 8-speed is worth it for this duty.

Should be a lot of '14s coming off lease over the next few months.

Lauren's pony-puller is a 2002 Yukon XL, but she's already off at this weekend's horse show so I don't think we'll hear from her until next week. (she wasn't pulling the trailer to this show, so she ended up borrowing the '07 GC to fill up with her camping stuff.. I think she's starting to like that '07.. ) .. she can probably give some insight as to how the Yukon behaves as a tow vehicle.. we'll probably be setting up the hitch to use the '07 as pony-puller this fall..

Hitch setup is crucial. It is the difference between an enjoyable trip and a white-knuckle ride (or at least somewhere on that scale)...

Get what you need and want, and love it. Sure beats getting a deal and hating it.

...tom

Reactions: Bryali
#7 ·
i think you will be well over the 7300 weight when its loaded. hell 12 v battery and dual propane tanks will be 125 alone. Add food, pots pans , cloths, linen and camping supplies awning jacks wood to level cords, hoses and water in the tank as well a poop in the other tank.

#8 ·
I agree 100%. The Durango will pull it, but you will be over weight. You have 600 lbs to work with, so take your weight off that and you have 400lbs left over. You need a bigger vehicle...

Reactions: Bryali
#9 ·
That looks like a scary trailer to tow.. nearly zero ground clearance?

looks like the trailer will leave bits behind if the tow vehicle goes over a speed bump..

#10 ·
The trailer has a hydrolic lift in it.. The picture is showing it in the down position. once all the way up you have normal clearance.. This rig is for camping and ice fishing. So when using it for fishing you lower it to get closer to the ice.

We typically don't have much in the camper except the batteries and lp tanks. I own it with a buddy and we empty it each time we use it.
Fresh water tank is empty and we only have 1 black/grey water tank that is always empty when moving.

I agree its borderline for the Durango to Tow. I thought I would as the people that own them what they think.

Thanks for all the feed back everyone.

#12 ·
Ice fishing? where are you located?

Years ago, I worked for a local outpost of a Minnesota (Shoreview) company.. when I'd visit corporate in the winter it always made me chuckle.. on Friday afternoons, when it was maybe 5F outside, everyone would be talking about "heading for the lake"..

#13 · (Edited)
That thing is cool, but it would be nerve-racking to pull with the D. At least I think. I'd rather pull it with a HD truck any day. I saw someone towing a similar size and I'm guessing weight trailer today with an F150 and the thing was squatting really badly even with a WDH. Just gotta have the right vehicle for the load

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.