Towing with my Durango. Will this travel trailer be ok?
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By FSTDANGO3
  • 1 Post By dizzyD

Thread: Towing with my Durango. Will this travel trailer be ok?

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Towing with my Durango. Will this travel trailer be ok?

So, after doing a couple months worth of research about travel trailers and what it does and doesn't take to tow them, I'm thoroughly confused. I've read about people who tow at their vehicle's towing capacity and say it's fine and their vehicle handles great and I've read about people who swear by never towing more than 80% of their vehicle capacity.

So I'm hoping to get some advice from people on this forum who tow large trailers with their Durango's and can comment on one of my proposed travel trailers.

First off, I have a 2014 Durango with the Citadel trim and AWD. It has the 5.7L V8 HEMI and the heavy duty tow package. Towing specifications say the vehicle is capable of towing up to 7,200lbs with a maximum tongue weight of 720lbs.

One of the travel trailers I'm interested in, the largest one on my list, is the Jayco Feather Ultra Lite X23F. It's 24'5" from back bumper to the hitch ball. It has a dry weight of 4,175lbs and a tongue weight of 440lbs. The GVCR for the trailer is 6,000lbs. Using the dry specs I calculated that the tongue weight is approximately 10.5% of the trailer weight. From this I calculated the loaded tongue weight in the ballpark of 630lbs.

So, even if the trailer is maxed out on weight, it looks like it's still within the Durango's towing limits, however, I wanted to post here for real world experience as I have none with towing large trailers. It would seem that the trailer, loaded to its 6,000lb max (another online debate on whether or not people max out their trailer weights), would leave a 1,200lb cushion. Well, actually, I would have to take out the weight of the passengers and any gear stowed in the Durango. Passengers would be a wife and 4 small children. Most likely there would be no gear in the Durango as it would all go into the trailer.

I hadn't originally been looking at trailers this large but started to after reading two positive reviews about the Durango's towing prowess. A Consumer Reports review stating the Durango was a pleasure to drive with a 6,000lb Airstream attached. And a Trailer Life article saying the Durango handled a 31' Shadow Cruiser S-280QBS very well.

So I'm looking for some advice on my proposed setup, if it seems reasonable or not towing this trailer. At this point I'm inclined to say it is reasonable as the maximum weights for the trailer are within the Durango's specs. Anyone have any experience towing trailers of this size or bigger?

Also, why has the Durango's towing capacity gone down over the years? I read where a Durango from 4-5 years ago had a max towing capacity around 8,900lbs.

I'm also looking for some recommendations on a WDH.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango RT
    Most likely... Depends where you're going to tow it. Heat and hills are hard on the tranny.

With 4 kids, you definitely want some space!
    2014 DURANGO R/T
    AWD | Premium Nappa leather group | Captains Chairs | Uconnect 8.4 AN | Trailer Tow Group
    Maximum Steel Metallic
    1C4SDJCT0EC501###
    Ordered 3/13/14
    Built 4/30/14
    Delivered 6/05/14

Member #
    Liked
    1721 times
    Vehicle
    2013 R/T D HEMI
    Mods
    DIABLO TUNING, 22 SRT WHEELS, AFE CAI, BILLET TECH GOODIES, CORSA
    Quote Originally Posted by jagermeister View Post
    So, after doing a couple months worth of research about travel trailers and what it does and doesn't take to tow them, I'm thoroughly confused. I've read about people who tow at their vehicle's towing capacity and say it's fine and their vehicle handles great and I've read about people who swear by never towing more than 80% of their vehicle capacity.

So I'm hoping to get some advice from people on this forum who tow large trailers with their Durango's and can comment on one of my proposed travel trailers.

First off, I have a 2014 Durango with the Citadel trim and AWD. It has the 5.7L V8 HEMI and the heavy duty tow package. Towing specifications say the vehicle is capable of towing up to 7,200lbs with a maximum tongue weight of 720lbs.

One of the travel trailers I'm interested in, the largest one on my list, is the Jayco Feather Ultra Lite X23F. It's 24'5" from back bumper to the hitch ball. It has a dry weight of 4,175lbs and a tongue weight of 440lbs. The GVCR for the trailer is 6,000lbs. Using the dry specs I calculated that the tongue weight is approximately 10.5% of the trailer weight. From this I calculated the loaded tongue weight in the ballpark of 630lbs.

So, even if the trailer is maxed out on weight, it looks like it's still within the Durango's towing limits, however, I wanted to post here for real world experience as I have none with towing large trailers. It would seem that the trailer, loaded to its 6,000lb max (another online debate on whether or not people max out their trailer weights), would leave a 1,200lb cushion. Well, actually, I would have to take out the weight of the passengers and any gear stowed in the Durango. Passengers would be a wife and 4 small children. Most likely there would be no gear in the Durango as it would all go into the trailer.

I hadn't originally been looking at trailers this large but started to after reading two positive reviews about the Durango's towing prowess. A Consumer Reports review stating the Durango was a pleasure to drive with a 6,000lb Airstream attached. And a Trailer Life article saying the Durango handled a 31' Shadow Cruiser S-280QBS very well.

So I'm looking for some advice on my proposed setup, if it seems reasonable or not towing this trailer. At this point I'm inclined to say it is reasonable as the maximum weights for the trailer are within the Durango's specs. Anyone have any experience towing trailers of this size or bigger?

Also, why has the Durango's towing capacity gone down over the years? I read where a Durango from 4-5 years ago had a max towing capacity around 8,900lbs.

I'm also looking for some recommendations on a WDH.

Thanks.
    Your Citadel will Tow this pkg nicely. As for towing capacities being reduced you are correct, later Gen 2's were Tow Beast. At one point the Hemi in the Gen 2 was rated at 390 HP and the D had a Full Frame, not a unibody. I believe these ratings may have been inflated a bit and real world towing was about par with what we are seeing today
    Good Luck and happy Towing
    STEVE
    HemiSphere likes this.

BRIGHT WHITE R/T, HEMIFEVER TUNING, CORSA EXHAUST, FMTB, AFE CAI
    BT GOODIES, 22" SRT8 REPS, RK SPORTS HOOD,KATZKIN INTERIOR

"Dodgedurango.net welcomes all members with open arms, regardless of social status, creed, color, vehicle color, vehicle model or how it is modded. The only thing we discriminate against is DISRESPECT... We're not friends we are FAMILY"
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/6411..._comment_reply

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    I would also add the uni-body is the downfall of towing #'s
    HemiSphere likes this.
    1999 Durango 360 FM 50mm, PS Headers, K&N FIPK, Rancho RSX's, SuperChips 3865, T/S lift, Hughes plenum/rebuild
    2012 Challenger SXT 3.6l, 267HP, 254 torque, Diablo Intune, FM 74/80mm_GONE
    2015 Dart Aero turbo1.4t, GFB DV+ BOV
    2004 RAM HEMI QC LB 7" lifted 2WD Rancho9000x, FM 84mm, SC 3815, factory freak
    2005 Magnum R/T 2WD "police package"

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely keep the X23F on my list of possible trailers!

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Vehicle
    2014 R/T Granite Crystal Metallic
    So whatever hapenned? Did you wind up towing this trailer?
    Brian
    2014 R/T Granite Crystal Metallic

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I ended up getting a Coachmen 21tqx expandable trailer which has an empty weight of around 3,800 lbs if I remember right. I think the Durango pulls it great. Fully loaded for camping I still maintain the general traffic speed up I-70 out of Denver. No problem going up and over Colorado passes. So far I'm very happy with the truck.

Sponsored Links