Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pontetial Durango Purchase

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    Vehicle
    2014 R/T & 2016 Ford Interceptor SUV
    I'd agree with others here, look for a 14+.

I had a 2014 V6 as a work vehicle, which led me to buy my '14 R/T. So I've driven both. The mileage on the V6 will be better, 25+ at times on long trips. I take really long trips in my R/T (Driven to all 4 corners of the US in the last few years) and I can get 22-23mpg if I set the cruise and stay off the gas.

The V6 will be just fine and you can get all of the things you're needing. If the extra power isn't a necessity then go for it. If you don't mind 15mpg in town and want extra power here and there then go for the R/T.

Good luck with your search!

PS: My Durango R/T has been the best vehicle (and traveling vehicle) I've ever owned, hands down.
    caskey_b, Moose135 and 1BADR/T like this.
    2016 Ford Interceptor SUV (Work Vehicle)
    2014 Durango R/T Black (Personal Vehicle)

Where has your Durango been lately?
    June 2016....Minnesota to Maine, 4300 miles...next trip soon!

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango R/T AWD
    Mods
    Tint
    Quote Originally Posted by unxpctd View Post
    PS: My Durango R/T has been the best vehicle (and traveling vehicle) I've ever owned, hands down.
    Agreed!!!
    2014 Durango R/T AWD, Granite Crystal, Tech&Tow Pkg, Nappa, Captains, Sunroof

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djbock View Post
    Thanks everyone for the information so far. Did not realize that '14 was the trans change. So will narrow the focus to 14's and newer. MPG is high on the priority list as my vehicle is a 12 Ram 1500, so want the MPG for when carrying the family. She is coming from an '11 BMW X5 which is getting mid 20's MPG with the 6 cylinder in it, but are starting to get into things starting to wear our so a $1k bill every fix is becoming the norm. Hence the search for somethieng newer, less mechanical costs with comparable mileage.
    I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. I didn't care about AWD, but I we were looking at 14-15 Citadel's. In our area, there were two 2015 Citadel's with around 30k on them, and after taxes and everything, it would have been close to 34k for either of them (asking price was around 34k-35k, talk them down a few k, then around 3.5k for TTL). We ended up with a brand new 2017 for 38k out the door. The extra few thousand for a brand new vehicle only made sense, then a 2 year old one with hardly any warranty left.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD V6 Premium, Safe/Convince & Tow packages
    Over the past few months I had narrowed down the search to a '14-15 AWD V6 Limited with the; Premium, S/S & C packages as well as the Tow group (for the HD equipment). Reasons as stated above, new dash with the 8.4 as well as the 8-spd. Why the optioned up Limited vs. the easier to find no stress Citadel? I personally could not justify the $3K step up for what amounted to the handy cooled front seats and the tasteful chrome exterior touches - to each his own. I ended up with a '14 because of the mileage, color and it was only 3hrs away. The cost difference between '14 with 32K miles and 2-months left on the bumper-to-bumper warranty plus a discounted 24 month Max Care plan, worked out to be about the same as a similarly optioned '15 with similar miles and a year left on the bumper-to-bumper, but in the "wrong" (per the wife) color. I have only gone through four tanks of gas in mixed traffic so far with cold remote start warm-ups and have been getting 19 MPG. That and it runs on 87 octane - all my other vehicles do not. One thing I figured out quickly was to just leave it in Eco mode and use a gentle foot - the MPG will surprise you. It has plenty of power to get you or your wife in trouble fast. I have to use cruise on the highway or I find myself doing 10-15 MPH over the limit without even realizing it.

I drove an R/T and fell in love with it, but knew it would be a real hot rod in my hands. "Hey guys let's swap in a 6.4L or install a s/c kit. Hellcat anyone!" There is a specialty salvage yard here in town that specializes in SRT models among other HP vehicles. Been there and done that with several other vehicles over the years - that's not the plan with this one though

Member #
    Liked
    393 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Crew / 2014 Limited
    Mods
    HIDs, Mopar Hitch/wiring, Mopar splash guards, Heated leather conversion in 2011 Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBlue View Post
    Over the past few months I had narrowed down the search to a '14-15 AWD V6 Limited with the; Premium, S/S & C packages as well as the Tow group (for the HD equipment). Reasons as stated above, new dash with the 8.4 as well as the 8-spd. Why the optioned up Limited vs. the easier to find no stress Citadel? I personally could not justify the $3K step up for what amounted to the handy cooled front seats and the tasteful chrome exterior touches - to each his own. I ended up with a '14 because of the mileage, color and it was only 3hrs away. The cost difference between '14 with 32K miles and 2-months left on the bumper-to-bumper warranty plus a discounted 24 month Max Care plan, worked out to be about the same as a similarly optioned '15 with similar miles and a year left on the bumper-to-bumper, but in the "wrong" (per the wife) color. I have only gone through four tanks of gas in mixed traffic so far with cold remote start warm-ups and have been getting 19 MPG. That and it runs on 87 octane - all my other vehicles do not. One thing I figured out quickly was to just leave it in Eco mode and use a gentle foot - the MPG will surprise you. It has plenty of power to get you or your wife in trouble fast. I have to use cruise on the highway or I find myself doing 10-15 MPH over the limit without even realizing it.

I drove an R/T and fell in love with it, but knew it would be a real hot rod in my hands. "Hey guys let's swap in a 6.4L or install a s/c kit. Hellcat anyone!" There is a specialty salvage yard here in town that specializes in SRT models among other HP vehicles. Been there and done that with several other vehicles over the years - that's not the plan with this one though
    My limited is optioned like your... with all that you are close to a Citadel. I love mine!
    '11 Crew AWD 3.6L
    Spectre intake
    5000k HIDs
    Mopar hitch
    Mopar steps
    Mopar mud guards
    Mopar stainless door sill guards
    WeatherTech liners
    Opt7 FluxBeam DRLs http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/d...2011-crew.html
    Heated leather cloth to leather conversion

'14 Limited 2WD 3.6L
    AFE Intake
    5000k/3000k HIDs
    Mopar hitch
    Go Rhino steps
    Mopar mud guards
    Husky liners
    Vvivid vinyl interior trim
    Custom license plate lights '14 license plate LED mod

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD V6 Premium, Safe/Convince & Tow packages
    Quote Originally Posted by caskey_b View Post
    My limited is optioned like your... with all that you are close to a Citadel. I love mine!
    Exactly. Love mine too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links