Thread: Advice Needed - 2014 SXT AWD

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2000 Toyota Sienna, 266K miles; recently totaled 2004 Camry XLE 180K

Advice Needed - 2014 SXT AWD

I'll try to keep this brief: Toyota owner forever, hoping to make the switch to Dodge Durango. Live in Poconos region of PA. No plans for off-roading or hauling. Want AWD for winter weather conditions. Currently have 2000 Toyota Sienna LE (266K), had 2004 Toyota Camry XLE (180K) that my teen daughter totaled in late October. Must be budget-conscious; recently widowed with four kids ages 19-7. Doing this all on my own; been researching vehicles for 6 weeks; done with minivan road handling and lack of driving enjoyment; after extensive research based on my wants and needs, all roads leading to Durango!

Current prospect: 2014 SXT AWD at local "highly-rated" dealership. Listed 106 days ago. 13,380 miles, $26,994. Dealership offering "Abeloff Advantage": 10 yr, 100,000 mile Powertrain Certified; and "Abeloff Advantage Rewards Program": maintenance for 2 yrs, Lifetime PA State safety inspections.

According to iSeeCars, price is currently $608 below market; here's price history:
    12/12: 26,994
    12/03: 27,987
    11/16: 26,840
    11/11: 25,963
    8/29: 27,990

Carfax indicates personal vehicle, regular oil changes, no accidents or recalls reported. Vehicle sold on 3/16/15; vehicle offered for sale 8/25/16 w/ 13,142 miles; on 8/27/16 "Accessories repaired/replaced" (?) during pre-delivery inspection & offered for sale w/ 13,378 miles as Dodge CPO; 11/29/16 sold at auction to Abeloff Buick GMC dealership.

Haven't seen car in person yet. Haven't personally bought a car in 17 years. Any advice/feedback greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    Cant figure out how to edit my post: Just want to add I have my mechanic and local body shop willing to inspect any car I'm considering.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Vehicle
    2003 Dodge Durango SXT
    sounds like you have covered everything. Anytime you buy used you are taking a chance, but you are asking all the right questions to mitigate that risk. having your mechanics look at it is always a good idea. Based on just the information you provided above, I would feel comfortable purchasing it.
    I love my Mini Hemi

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    by the way, I have similar problem?

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by ctfolmar View Post
    sounds like you have covered everything. Anytime you buy used you are taking a chance, but you are asking all the right questions to mitigate that risk. having your mechanics look at it is always a good idea. Based on just the information you provided above, I would feel comfortable purchasing it.
    Thank you for responding! I appreciate your input. This may not be something you or others are capable/comfortable answering, but I'll throw it out there: If I end up really liking the car after test-driving, do I try to get an even better price? The two things I don't love about the car on paper are the color (red), and the fact that it's the base model SXT. It's end of the year sales on new Durangos of course, and I'm wondering if it's worth pursuing a new vehicle for maybe another 3-4K? If I had another 10K to play with I'd look towards new Limited in the blue color; new 2016 is totally fine with me. But if I'm gonna stick with base model, perhaps smarter to stretch for new. Only incentive that really applies for me is reduced price incentive since I plan to pay for it outright as opposed to financing or leasing. Any opinions?

Member #
    Liked
    366 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD
    Mods
    LED Fog Lamps
    Quote Originally Posted by FifiDanon View Post
    Thank you for responding! I appreciate your input. This may not be something you or others are capable/comfortable answering, but I'll throw it out there: If I end up really liking the car after test-driving, do I try to get an even better price? The two things I don't love about the car on paper are the color (red), and the fact that it's the base model SXT. It's end of the year sales on new Durangos of course, and I'm wondering if it's worth pursuing a new vehicle for maybe another 3-4K? If I had another 10K to play with I'd look towards new Limited in the blue color; new 2016 is totally fine with me. But if I'm gonna stick with base model, perhaps smarter to stretch for new. Only incentive that really applies for me is reduced price incentive since I plan to pay for it outright as opposed to financing or leasing. Any opinions?
    For 3,000-4,000 more I'd buy a new one myself.

Though to be honest, I get the appeal of no payment. But you could probably take the money you were going to buy this one with, use it as a down payment, and then get a stupid low interest or even 0% loan and have a stupid cheap monthly payment on the vehicle you really want. $10,000 loan and 0% interest is $167 a month for 60 months. That's what I would do myself in that position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 HEMI Citadel AWD aka "Klaus"
    Mopar Cold Air Intake
    Gibson Axle back exhaust
    Osram CBI 5500k 35W low beam HID

2012 Dodge Caliber SXT aka Trixie

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango Rallye
    Mods
    It K&N CAI, Debadged, weathertech mats, Mopar sport pedals,
    The price is on the high side. Even with it being cpo. I paid 24k for my 2014 sxt plus rallye with 23k on it over a year ago. Blue book on mine is about 22 right now with 42k.

I'd go with all your info and make an offer of about 23-24. You can do it online. Tell them you already have the money/financing. All they can say is no. Its been sitting for a 1/3 of a year so they need to move it.

If they reject the offer tell them it's still open for debate and see what they come back with. I guarantee you'll get a call in a few days with a slightly better one.

Don't let them ask about your trade, try to hook you up with their finance guy etc. Get a set price on the truck first in writing before you even step in the door. If they pull the people are looking at it game tell them good luck with the sale.

Member #
    Liked
    458 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Crew / 2014 Limited
    Mods
    HIDs, Mopar Hitch/wiring, Mopar splash guards, Heated leather conversion in 2011 Crew
    Agree, the price seems a little on the high side. 24-25 seems a little more reasonable to me
    -Brian
    '11 Crew AWD 3.6L
    Spectre intake
    OPT7 HIDs
    OPT7 CREE V2 fogs (wired as DRL)
    Mopar steps
    Mopar hitch/wiring
    Mopar mud guards
    WeatherTech mats
    Mopar door sill guards
    OPT7 FluxBeam DRLs
    Cloth to Leather Conversion
    '14 Limited 2WD 3.6L
    AFE Intake
    Opt7 LEDs
    Opt7 HID 3000k fogs
    Go Rhino steps
    Clean Cut Decals door sill guards
    Mopar hitch/wiring
    Mopar mud guards
    Husky mats
    Luverne 3" bull bar
    255/75R17 Wranglers
    Vvivid vinyl interior trim
    Custom license plate LED mod

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    Thank you for your responses! After six weeks deliberating which vehicle to buy and another two weeks losing my marbles over the search for a decent used Durango that meets all my preferences, I've decided to pull the trigger and go for new! Yet the thought of going through the arduous task of orchestrating the purchase is making my stomach turn. I can think of precious few things in life that I detest more than dealing with car salespeople and car dealerships.

I am intrigued by the idea of getting the 2017 GT (the renamed Limited?) with a hefty down payment as you suggested. My credit worthiness is awful however; my late husband was the sole income provider and I have yet to return to the workforce. I have the funds to buy outright (to a point; my 2000 Sienna with 266k miles will have to be replaced sooner than later and need to be prepared for that) but not sure how I would achieve financing without being currently employed. I also have no car to trade in since my daughter totaled our 2004 Camry in October. We have a 2003 Camry with a blown engine sitting in the driveway, but I doubt that would qualify for trading in unless I had it towed to the dealership lol.

Perhaps a new 2017 SXT off the lot is a better option? Although if I'm gonna go new, I'd kinda like to be in the driver's seat (no pun intended) of the deal, ya know? Then again, maybe I should be talking to a financial advisor as opposed to a message board? LOL Call me crazy, or just very skeptical and suspicious by nature, but I'm not necessarily convinced I'd trust a financial planner or even an attorney over complete strangers who love their Durangos and love talking about them!
    Skippy426 likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Vehicle
    Durango SXT 2015 AWD
    If you haven't made the purchase yet and you want to avoid all the little things the dealership adds on at closing on a new car, go with the 2014 you were looking at.
    A year down the road swap out the u connect for the latest with apple and Android integration.
    SXT is fine except for the base u connect and no dial for terrain/locking differential.
    BTW I have a 2015 SXT AWD with the convenience package aka heated seats, reverse view cam.
    Good luck and hope you also find a good job.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links