Dodge Durango Forum banner

Any feedback on 2016 MY clearance deals?

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  gonzo628 
#1 ·
I've been shopping around for a leftover 2016 model at the end of the year. I've gotten some decent quotes, but not all that much better than the quotes I've seen on 2017s.

Is anyone else searching for closeout 2016s?

I did see an advertisement from an Orlando dealership that said in the fine print that a "$1000 Southeast Region Black Friday" rebate was applied. I can't seem to figure out if that applies to all 2016 models or only dealer select ones.

Obviously the inventory is only going to dwindle as time goes on, but I've got 5 potential cars that would work for us within driving distance and I'm wondering if I should wait until the end of the year or do a deal now at the end of the month.

#2 ·
A few of those 5 will probably get sold, maybe all, but waiting til end of the year will only lower the prices even more

#4 ·
Another thing to consider is how long you plan to keep the car. If you only plan on keeping it for a few years, any savings from buying a left over may be lost when you trade in a car that is a model year older. If you plan on keeping it for many years this will not be a significant concern.

#5 ·
I would just order a 2017 model. This way you can order exactly what you want and you don't lose as much depreciation after delivery. The rebates might not be as high as a 2016 but I'm sure a reputable dealership will work with you on getting the best price. You might want to join truecar.com like I did because you will be eligible for an extra $500.00 off after rebates.

#6 ·
Well, we pulled the trigger on a 2017 yesterday. I wasnt all that concerned with the model year differences, but the 2017 was the only car that really had everything we wanted and my wife fell in love with the Bomber Brown color so I said ok.

I got a killer deal (I think, anyway) and really like the car. We'll see how Chrysler reliability plays out. Now I just need to decide if I want the extended warranty and I need to get building my Kodi project for the kids rear entertainment system.

#8 ·
Looking forward to seeing this new Brown color
There was a limited color in the gen 1's that was a dark Brown and it was quite impressive on the Durango.
STEVE

#11 ·
I recently joined this forum..........my wife and I thought we had a 2016 in the bag but.............long story short, it wasn't what we wanted. I have done a search and my wife and I cannot find one Durango with the options we like or want. Dealers either overload the options and want or shall we say expect you to pay for things you don't need. We went to a dealership this past weekend.............1 Durango on their lot of over 40 had the safety and technology package. Of course it was on a R/T overloaded past 50K. And the bad part was, the dealership wouldn't allow a test drive on the freeway allowing me to see how the adjustable cruise works. Nope....6 right turns around the block and back on the lot. :mad:

I asked of they could find me a dealer trade with the option I wanted. The sales mgr looked as if I just asked for his last kidney. I even said to his face, this looks like this is too much work for you. And he began a list of things HE PERSONALLY would need to do, between very heavy sighs, and wiping his brow, and staring at the floor with minimal eye contact.

I told my wife we'll order a 2017 and bypass all the male cow feces. The Dodge website is a joke trying to build your own. So we are going to a small town dealership and give them our business. Maybe I was wrong for telling the big dealership I think $299 is a lot to pay for pin striping. Two pieces of vinyl stretched along the side of the vehicle............oh and $399 to tint two windows. :cool: Maybe they use 14 karat gold leaf.

I'm glad I found this forum and I hope come the New Year my wife and I will receive notice our Durango is on it's way to the dealership. I haven't ordered a car since the late muscle car days. So like others have said, why pay for a 2016 with things I do not want, when the 2017 is priced and will be equipped as I want it.

Oh I did get a free turkey;) from the big dealership for our test drive which wasn't really a "TEST" drive since I didn't get to test what I wanted to test. Now they questioned my downloaded certificate for the turkey asking me where I got it.:( They made me believe it was an advertising mistake since I was told the offer was only sent to their customer base and since I was not one...........how did I get it?:confused::naughty:

Needless to say, I haven't heard from the sales mgr regarding his locating me a Durango. And so...........Larry H. Miller Dodge in Tucson AZ will not get my business.

As far as the free turkey................it's my only reward for my effort at trying to secure a Durango at yet another dealer who wants you to walk in, hand them the cash and drive away and receive a free turkey coupon in the mail trying to lure you back in to another vehicle.

So we will visit the little Dodge dealership in the town of 15,000 people on Black Friday and hopefully close a deal on a 2017. I hope to get a good deal, and maybe pay even less for being treated like a valued customer with money to spend and benefit a small town business and if they offer a free turkey........why not..........turkey is good no matter when you eat it. In conclusion, the sales manager at the big dealership can eat CROW.........with Humble PIE for dessert.:D:cheesy:

#12 ·
I purchased from Bill Luke (Phoenix). While the price was good, the sales experience was mediocre and the time at the dealership was excessive. I kid you not, we arrived at the dealership at approximately 1330 on Sunday...I already knew they had the car we had settled on (Red, RT, Blacktop, captains chairs, tow package). We drove that car. Talked numbers and had a sales contract by 1500. Then came the WAIT. They are a volume dealer and have a lot of people they funnel through the "back of the house", but don't see properly staffing the back of the house as important. We waited probably 2 hours for an opportunity to be sold more stuff we did not want, then waited better than 1.5 hours for them to prep the truck (which they should have been doing, or have done, when we agreed to purchase), only to find out that finance did not tell them we were not taking the alarm and so the truck had to go back and have it removed. When it finally was presented to us, they did not put it in their "delivery" area, they simply pulled it up in an open space on the side of the dealership. They also did not do a good job of detailing the car before delivery.... But at just shy of 20:00 (some 6.5 hours later) I was just DONE with the whole experience!

#13 ·
Both of these write-ups sound like every damned dealer within 100 miles of Memphis. I had to go 300 miles away, to INDIANA, to find a dealer that would deal first of all, and second, follow-through on commitments. The deal's not sealed just yet so I'll refrain from naming them but so far it's working out really well.

#15 ·
this is true. Also, Bill Luke's pricing is contingent on your using their finance company (read: Expensive). The website mentions this (and that the price of the vehicle will be $1000 more if you don't use their financing). To protect yourself, get your own financing (or at least the promise of) and have a big down payment. (when using their financing, they won't let you put more than 10% down. My 50%'ish down really messed with them.

#16 ·
I have found the dealerships, as you said, don't care to allow US to set the terms. I told the dealership I do NOT have a trade...(insert sad dealer face here) :-|...that I had my own financing (insert dealer tears in eyes) :(and that I wanted to use my Costco, AAA, AARP discount, (insert dealer crying hysterically):mad: and the final blow, just do the dealer prep that MOPAR is paying for and no desert packages or lifetime sealer or tint or pin stripe or anything..................(insert dealer throwing tantrum on floor in office):wall:

WHAT IS THE PRICE????????????????????????????????:?

And I am still waiting for an answer.........

#17 · (Edited)
Im not sure why on earth you guys choose to work with dealers on their turf (ie, at the dealership).

Ive bought 2 new FCA vehicles over the past 1.5 yrs and I did this SOLEY via phone, text, and email. I even get them to bring me the paperwork to MY HOUSE. Its very simple, and going into the dealership puts you at a serious disadvantage. Their goal to to WASTE YOUR EFFING TIME AND GET A MERCY KILL. So dont do it, simply call/text and work the deal entirely this way, work with multiple dealerships, get them all bidding against 1 another, and when you finally settle on the terms, have them drive their happy asses on over to your house and sit down at your table to sign the papers.

The ONLY time you EVER walk into a dealership is to :

1. test drive and explore the options, if you don't already know exactly what you want. Dont bother asking the sales rep ANYTHING regarding ANY options as they DO NOT KNOW JACK. Research the options via internet/forums, ask us on here, and establish your own knowledge base. They will just tell you that your RT will get 45 mpg, and other assorted incorrect bullshit. THEN PROMPTLY LEAVE to do your negotiating on your own terms via email, phone.

2. Once the paperwork is signed (at your house), you show up at dealer simply to pick up the vehicle. Go on a Tuesday morning around 10am, this takes all of 20 minutes to sign a few more papers, inspect your new vehicle, and get the hell out of there never to return (except maybe for the 4 free oil changes if you are feeling risky).

Not sure why everyone doesnt already know this. Someone helped me figure it out and now its the ONLY way I'd ever buy a vehicle.

#19 · (Edited)
I know some people would argue my tactic and say you will only get the best deal if you sit in there and allow the sales guy to keep "going back to my manager to check" bs. They would argue that you are not showing your intent to buy and thus wont take it seriously enough to put together a good offer. And I have found this to be true, at certain dealerships. But those are the dealerships you dont want to waste your time at anyways. Its always funny when they call back and say, Ok we got your email, stating the exact stock # of the vehicle you are interested, now why dont you come in and we can talk about exactly what you want ? Hahah I just gave you the effing STOCK #, thats what I want !! No need for the time suck, buddy.

For instance, I worked in this manner with a dealership in Charlotte. We verbally agreed to my target price, all was looking perfect. Then they said OK just come in here and we can finalize all this. I told them we already finalized all this, send me the paperwork via email, I will look it over, sign, and return it via email then come pick up my new vehicle. They stammered on this, kept saying we cant just email the paperwork, its a federal document and we use hillarys email server ... ect ... ect ... ect ... bs. Just come in here, we will "work it all out when you get here". Red flag. Finally, they sent over the paperwork after a few more calls, now from the sales manager himself. He took the liberty of adding in $500 for wheel locks (really? wheel locks are $30). $495 for tint (I dont want tint, I prefer NOT to be harassed by the cops), and $995 for some other misc dealer prep. So my target price just got blown up by +$2K. Had I not insisted on the paperwork 1st via email, I'd of just wasted about 10 hours driving back/forth from Atlanta-Charlotte. See, these guys are slimy be careful how you handle them.

Heres another thing I learned - get the web url / stock # of the vehicle you want and send that out to as many dealerships as you want. They all work with 1 another and can basically get any vehicle anywhere, and often do trades between their inventory. So dont think hitting a brick wall at the dealer your stock # is sitting at means another dealer cant it for you for less. Case and point - I just bought a 2016 JGC overland. It was sitting at a dealership in TN (Im in Atlanta). I negotiated with the dealer (Rocky Top) for about 2 weeks, we got down to a price they would not budge on. They also needed me to make the 6 hrs round trip to get it. So I called Ed Voyles in Marietta (about 15 min from my house). Told them about the vehicle, and viola, they found an extra $500 off, AND went and picked it up for me. They said they did an internal "trade" with that dealer and were able to get it. Was sorta funny when the sales advisor from the TN dealer called me back to tell me "sorry, the vehicle has been sold you shouldnt of waited" to which I responded, "I know, Im the 1 who bought it, you should of lowered your asking price and delivered it!". That deal could of only been worked through another dealer who could trade them something, so just saying keep that option open.

But the #1 mistake in my opinion is to actually go sit in the snake pit and talk $ with those guys. All you are in there for is to test drive, decide on options, and colors, then GTFO as quickly as possible and start your internet hunt.

#23 ·
Was sorta funny when the sales advisor from the TN dealer called me back to tell me "sorry, the vehicle has been sold you shouldnt of waited" to which I responded, "I know, Im the 1 who bought it, you should of lowered your asking price and delivered it!".
Savage man! Haha, you're hilarious, Hillary email server! LOL

Completely agree though, negotiate EVERYTHING via email, then it's in writing. If you're trying to negotiate at the stealership you have zero leverage.

#22 ·
I'm blessed to have a long friendship with a GM of a dealership. Not that he's giving vehicles away ..... but he makes it possible for me to avoid all of the drama. It plays out very similar to what a2t described ..... everything is done via phone and email and we show up to pick up the vehicle. In fact, we visit a different dealership when we're shopping options just because it's closer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.