Dodge Durango Forum banner

aFe Momentum GT CAI Fitment on 2016 Durango R/T

21K views 59 replies 13 participants last post by  stoopalini 
#1 ·
Well, the aFe Momentum GT intake arrived today, and I was able to check out the fitment. Short version is ....... it doesn't fit. Keep reading for the long version.

The guys at aFe sent this to me with the understanding it may not fit, and I was acting as their beta installer for the 2016 Durango R/T. So some fitment issues aren't unexpected here. I advised them I would test fit it and send them info on what I found.

1st off, this thing has QUALITY written all over it! Night and day difference between the Volant and aFe. Not that the Volant felt or appeared cheap in any way, but the aFe is really well done. It was packaged in an aFe marketing box, which was then inside another aFe shipping box. So kudos for double boxing it. Inside was the tube, the filter housing, the filter (in it's own box), well written instructions, plenty of aFe stickers, a license plate frame, and high quality band clamps. Not the cheap autozone style band clamps, but very nice, heavy duty ones.

Box Plastic bag Carton Technology Room

So after removing the factory air intake tube and filter housing, I went to fit the aFe. 1st thing I noticed was the 3 lines in the clip, against the fender well, were in the way:

Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Automotive exterior

So I removed them from the clip, repositioned the clip the inside of the bracket, and reconnected the 3 lines:

Auto part Vehicle Fuel line Engine Car

Then I went to slide the filter housing in place. The tab on the firewall, which I think is for the power steering reservoir mount on the 2015s, was really tight against the box. I was able to get it to slide down, although it's pressed hard against the tab. That said, the factory mounting standoffs do appear to be aligned to the mount points on the aFe filter box.

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Vehicle Auto part

Here it is slid down into place. It looks really nice, but obviously there are some alignment/fitment issues:

Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Fuel line

Here, you can see the snorkel doesn't align properly. Comparing pictures of a 2015 R/T to a 2016 R/T, I think Chrysler actually moved the snorkel a bit between the two years. This would also explain why the hole drilled on the Volant for the hood seal didn't align properly. If the tab on the fender well wasn't there, I think I could pivot the filter housing so the snorkel would fit, but that may cause the mounting standoffs to then become misaligned with the mount points.

Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Mid-size car

Also, the way it sits right now, it appears the windshield washer cap may interfere with the intake tube. Not sure though, as I wasn't able to get the filter housing seated well enough to fit the tube:

Auto part Motor vehicle Engine Vehicle Car

Looking down the inner side of the filter housing, I don't think the aFe would have the same issue as the Volant did with sitting on the brake lines. It appears if I were able to push it all the way down, it would clear the lines:

Auto part Fuel line Tire Suspension Brake

So, I will be sending aFe this info and see what they have to say. My guess is they will ask me to return the unit and go to work on a redesign for the 2016s. I'll keep you guys updated as I hear more.

See less See more
Reactions: Absolut
#2 ·
Ah man, what a huge let down. Looks like they would just have to tweak a few areas to make it work. I wonder if they would even bother with a redesign as '16's will be a smaller market group. I hope they do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I think it would fit there are no changes in that area of engine compartment the new airbox has to be up tight to the right and under the rubber strip

#5 ·
I wish it would fit. The new air box will not position to be tight on the right, therefore it cannot go under the rubber hood seal because the snorkel won't drop in to the OEM groove.

You can see in this picture that the air box is wedged against the mounting tab which I suppose was used in the 2015's as a mounting point for the steering reservoir. This prevents it from moving any further to the right. It won't pivot either.

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Vehicle

I even tried removing the fastener holding the windshield washer reservoir neck, and moved it out of the way. It still would not line up. If there's some trick I'm missing, I'd love for this thing to fit in there

#6 · (Edited)
Looking through pictures of the Jeep, they don't have that tab there. I wonder if I cut it off (it seems to serve no purpose), if it would then fit?

Here's a better look at how it interferes with the box

Auto part Vehicle Helmet Automotive exterior Car

#7 ·
Here are a couple more pictures to show the challenge. This time, I removed several move fastening points of the hood seal so I could show what it would be like if the snorkel was in the channel.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Light Automotive lighting

As you can see, if that tab wasn't there, it looks like it would drop right in.

#9 ·
Well, I decided to bend that tab downward enough for the filter box to clear, and here is the result. I think if I cut it off instead, it would allow the box to twist clockwise a bit more and then the snorkel would be even. But as it stands, the factory mounting grommets do all line up, and the relief in the bottom of the tube also lines up with the AC line (it's a molded channel in the intake tube to clear the AC line).

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Vehicle Car Auto part Trunk Engine

Light Automotive lighting Auto part Vehicle Technology

Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Car

And as I suspected, the brake lines also clear

Auto part Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Tire

The only other issue, and it's a small one, is the windshield washer fluid cap is touching the intake tube.

Auto part Vehicle Car

I'll leave it like this for now, and see what aFe has to say when their tech guy gets a chance to call me.

#10 ·
I have my AFE out to do the plugs and here are some shots for comparison

#11 ·
Perfect! Thank you for that. So the 2016 does have more material on that bracket for some reason. From the looks of it, if I cut mine off, it would be exactly like what you have.

#13 ·
Yep, looks like the tab design on the 2016 wouldn't interfere with that one. Should fit just fine.

#15 ·
The aFe fits after modifying the tab on the fender well, so it's staying. Thanks anyway.

#17 ·
Great Job Looks Pretty good in there.
STEVE

#18 ·
Thanks. I ended up ordering a Redline touch up pen, and when it gets here, I will cut the tab cleanly off with my Dremel. Then will touch up the cut to prevent rust.

With the tab gone, the aFe should rotate and align a bit better.

#25 ·
Well, the pen showed up today, so I broke out the dremel and cut the tab off.

Here is the tab which causes the issue. Notice how it has a section which extends forward, towards the front of the vehicle, unlike the 2015 and previous models which have it extending backward.

Fuel line Auto part Vehicle Engine Wire

If you scroll up in this thread, you can see a 2015 model, and obviously the tab is different on the 2016s.

Here is the aFe before I did anything:

Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Family car

With the aFe removed, you can see how I bent the tab downward so the intake could fit:

Auto part Vehicle Car Fuel line Trunk

So with a cutoff wheel on my dremel, I trimmed the tab off at a point where I thought it would look symmetrical

Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Car Fuel line

Then I took the touch up paint pen, and covered the bare metal

Vehicle Auto part Car Fuel line Engine

And here is the aFe reinstalled:

Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Compact car

As you can see, it didn't do much of anything to correct the alignment. It's still very functional, and fits into the three OEM mounting posts, but appears the snorkel is a bit off for a perfect alignment. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. The bent tab was bothering me, and I'm sure if I ever needed to reinstall the OEM air intake for warranty work, the tech's would wonder why the tab was bent down. With it cut off and painted, I'll bet they wouldn't even notice anything is missing.

I'll send this info to aFe, and maybe they will do a redesign for the 2016s.

Reactions: FiveO13
#26 ·
Just an update after running this for a few weeks.

I opened the hood the other day to find the filter partially pulled out of the filter housing

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Fuel line

It seems the tension placed on the intake tube by the throttle body coupler is pulling the filter out a bit.

I pushed it back in, and tightened up the clamps, and it seems to be seated correctly:

Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Family car

But a closer look at the throttle body coupler shows it is shifted a bit to the side, so I expect it to pull out of the filter housing again after a few miles.

Auto part Fuel line Vehicle Automotive fuel system Engine

I've emailed this info to aFe, as I did all the previous info, but haven't heard anything back from them. I suppose I should call their support number and see if they have any plans to update the intake for us 2016 guys.

#28 · (Edited)
Just an update after running this for a few weeks.

I opened the hood the other day to find the filter partially pulled out of the filter housing

View attachment 28563

It seems the tension placed on the intake tube by the throttle body coupler is pulling the filter out a bit.

I pushed it back in, and tightened up the clamps, and it seems to be seated correctly:

View attachment 28564

But a closer look at the throttle body coupler shows it is shifted a bit to the side, so I expect it to pull out of the filter housing again after a few miles.

View attachment 28565

I've emailed this info to aFe, as I did all the previous info, but haven't heard anything back from them. I suppose I should call their support number and see if they have any plans to update the intake for us 2016 guys.
You have to tighten the shit out of the clamp , same thing happened to me.

#27 ·
I hope they take care of you and come up with a solution. I have the stage 2 sitting in my garage. With any luck I can take delivery of my Durango this weekend and I'll install on Monday.

Side bar: Are you running the Corsa on your 16?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Ya, the throttle body ones are standard screw type clamps. The two at the filter housing are T-bolt style. They are definitely tight enough, the issue is it doesn't fit right. Look at how the intake tube aligns to the throttle body. Notice the tube is shifted out of center, toward the driver's side, from the throttle body's center. Because of this, the stress on the coupler causes the tube to pull back to center with the throttle body, and thus pulls the filter out.

I have the clamp on the filter side tightened all the way. It can't go any tighter. An even if I used a smaller clamp, the relief cuts in the housing itself are completely closed up, so I don't think it could go any tighter anyway.

I think it's a small difference between the 2015 and 2016 year models.

Still waiting for aFe to get back to me. I emailed them several times, called their support number (which no one answered), and then filled out their website's support contact form. The online form says someone will respond within one business day, so hopefully I get a reply tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.