Dodge Durango Forum banner

True dual exhaust??

14K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  98BigGreenTank 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay guys and gals, I bout my brother in laws 98 durango 5.2, I was wondering would true dual no cats x pipe with flowmaster mufflers work and not mess up my baby??? I know some vehicle you can bypass the o2 sensors and delete the cats but I don't know if my durango has to have a cat,and before you say it's illegal not where I'm from here in bama they don't inspect(unless it's a bought outa state vehicle) cars, but if I can't do true duals what are aome good thrush alternatives?? Thanks......I've heard that a high flow cat and a super 10 muffler sounds good, I wants something that let's people know when I'm coming and going but I don't want something that will be to loud and obnoxious.

#2 ·
I'm curious what you mean by true dual since you also said you intend to use an x pipe?

True dual exhaust means the left bank and right bank never mix....1 separate pipe from each cylinder head to each tip...and is horrible for performance when compared to equal sized pipes with a crossover. By using an x-pipe, that's not a true dual....it's just a dual exhaust system.

#4 ·
usually need a crossover passage at some point, even with "true duals"

#7 ·
It looks like you can get a tuner for your D so you should be able to turn the sensors off.

I could go into a long discussion about how "back pressure" is one of the most misunderstood concepts in exhaust design and how Bernoulli's principle and the venturi effect come into play....but I just won't. If back pressure was a good thing, shoving a potato in your muffler would be beneficial and I think we can all agree that it's not. You want maximum scavenging and not back pressure. For maximum power and efficiency, get a crossover and skip the "true dual" stuff: x-pipe vs h-pipe is really irrelevant as long as there's some type of crossover.

BTW--welcome to the forum. Where in Alabama are you from? Daleville is my home, down in the Wiregrass/Dothan area.

#9 ·
The real ? is why? Just to cut out the cat and make more noise and loose performance? You would be better off with a 3" cat back system with a different muffler than the stock unit. The 98/99 cat is a high-flow design, so there really isn't enough loss to gain anything from removing it. Other than bragging rights there wouldn't be enough, if any, gain over the above mentioned approach. Unless you build a monster motor for it. Sometimes just because isn't the best reason.

#13 ·
That's something like what it has, my brother in law got the muffler cut off and got a y pipe welded in its place, and it sound good it's just I want it done right, so I should just get a flowmaster super 10 dual outlet muffler?? Since the cat on the D is already a high flo cat

#10 ·
MWeed asks a good question.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...8+4294918862&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Default

For anywhere from $300-$600 you can get a well-designed system that'll out-perform cutting your cat and keeping the rest of the stock pipes intact. For a stock motor that produced about 250hp and 300tq, you won't need a dual system and you really won't need 3" duals. Some of the kits above have 3" pipes and some have 2.5", but they're all single exit. If you want 2 pipes for the look, I wouldn't go anything over 2" - 2 1/4" unless you like losing power.

#11 ·
I had a 98 5.2 SLT D and if I recall, there wasn't clearance on the left side for a dual exhaust. A good cat-back single works nicely. I went with the Flowmaster 50 series and it sounded and ran PDG.

#12 ·
I run a CAT back 3" SS Magnaflow single exhaust on my 5.9. I replaced my cat at the same time and it can get quite loud, especially towing. No more needed than that to turn heads. Keep it simple. if you want it REALLY loud, put in a good cutout before the muffler so you can open it when you want.

#15 ·
Then save your money and just have a Flowmaster 40 put in. It will be plenty loud and really make it sound better if not too loud inside the D. If you like to hear music while driving or talk with a passenger it may be too much but otherwise it should solve your problem for a lot less money.

#17 ·
I had the 40 series, but it was a bit too much for me (let's just say I an old f@rt). It became annoying on long trips. The 50 series with 3" pipes did the trick for me. Oh, and I did have headers too. In any case, I would highly recommend welding

#21 ·
Lol I'm one of those young 16 year old that like being heard a block before I get there, like I don't want too loud I want loud enough to e heard but not where I can't have a conversation, put it this way, the tank without a muffler and a y pip for the dual look is defiantly loud enough but I want a more thrush sound and not a ringing of the pipe sound, so I think the 40 series would be good for me, and someone said that the cat in my D is already a high flow design but imma go through and get it completely redone,new 2" piping new cat and the 40 series mufflers.

#18 ·
I tried several different mufflers. The wife likes to talk with me (go figure) while we drive and we like to listen to good tunes while driving. Now I am of the old school when it comes to sound. If it's too loud you are too old. The best choice for us was the SUV muffler from Flowmaster.

#20 ·
It gives a good exhaust note without being too loud for conversation inside unless you really got on it. In my opinion Chrysler exhaust sounds like you are f@#$@%ing through a straw rather than a good healthy exhaust note. I don't know why but they really need some help in that area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.