Member #
    Liked
    180 times
    Vehicle
    '99 Durango, '69 Satellite , '14 Charger R/T
    Mods
    Too much to fit in this box

Good Article on Problems with pnp HIDs in Halogen Housings

I've been seeing a lot of people talking about throwing pnp HIDs (and LEDs too) into their headlights and foglights, and thought I'd share this article. While projectors aren't bad for glare usually, reflectors are an entirely different story. Daniel Stern does a good job of explaining the physics responsible for the problems, glare being the worst of them. There's also a video in there too.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
    -Matt

Intense Blue '99 Durango SLT 5.2L V8 FT4X4
    Ivy Green '69 Plymouth Satellite 318
    Pitch Black '14 Charger R/T Awd
    Picture/Mod Conglomeration Thread
    Why not to put pnp HIDs in halogen reflectors

Member #
    Liked
    1046 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    Agree 100%.

But people will continue to do because it "looks cool!" or "seems brighter!" ..

What?
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Member #
    Liked
    180 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    I'm sure people will, but maybe some will listen. Retrofitting hid projectors is always an option if you want better light without blinding others.
    -Matt

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango R/T RWD, Max Steel Metallic
    Mods
    CUSTOM "CROSS-HARE" GRILL
    Just keep preachin', maybe, just maybe someone will listen one day.
    ZeRoDaJuggalo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    251 times
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango RT
    Mods
    20" SRT rep rims, WeatherTech deflectors, oem mud guards, front tints, Rhino rack and wind fairing
    Thanks for posting this! The fog lights in my 2010 ram were SO bright and wide that when I got my 13 ram I had a hard time adjusting to the dimmer fogs. The Durango fogs aren't any better and I would like a brighter or even just wider fog. Any suggestions would be appreciated as long as it's legal as well . Can the fogs be adjusted so they shine farther to the sides of the d? Can I just install brighter halogen lights?
    2015 Durango RT true blue (mine)
    2015 Sienna XLE premium (hers)
    2014 Durango limited awd (gone)

Member #
    Liked
    180 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Don't know about aiming them out, but you might be able to use an h9 bulb in place of the h11. (55w to 65w) Although more light up close to you does hurt your distance vision.
    -Matt

Member #
    Vehicle
    1998 Durango 4x4 360 swap, 2004 Ram 1500 slt w/Hemi, 84 F250 4x4 w/351W
    Mods
    360 swap
    So... If I have projector style Halos in my Durango, I can safely convert to HID?? Or is this not what is meant by "projectors arent bad for glare"?
    ZeRo

Member #
    Liked
    180 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeRoDaJuggalo View Post
    So... If I have projector style Halos in my Durango, I can safely convert to HID?? Or is this not what is meant by "projectors arent bad for glare"?
    Halogen projectors usually aren't too bad for glare with hids in them, it just depends. In general though halogen projectors have much less glare than halogen reflectors. That said those ebay special projector headlights have horrible projectors that have an absolutely terrible beam pattern (glare isn't too bad from what I've seen though).
    -Matt

Member #
    Vehicle
    1998 Durango 4x4 360 swap, 2004 Ram 1500 slt w/Hemi, 84 F250 4x4 w/351W
    Mods
    360 swap
    Dangit!!! I JUST so happen to have some "Ebay special Halo projectors"... So.... In retrospect; I should look for some NOT ebay special Halos that are already equipped with HIDs??? I hear a lot about Oracle lighting... Would you recommend them, or do you know of something better.... I was SOOOO gonna purchase a conversion kit for mine, but I am one whom tries to look at other drivers on the road the same as I would people in the grocery store.... I am a courteous and mannerful person. So, reading your thread has now caused a change of heart. Also, though, I am living and building on a budget, so I have to shop thriftily and cost is a determining factor. I DO thank you for the info. P.S..... Your blue baby is beautiful!!!! Mine is a 98. NOT so pretty. I bought her about 3 years ago, and Ive been budget building her since.... Ive got big plans for her, but its gonna take awhile before shes near as pretty as yours.... And your Satellite isnt too shabby either. I used to have a 73, but it was a 4dr ex-police car from Washington state... Again; not NEARLY as beautiful as yours!!! Thanxx again bud!
    ZeRo

Member #
    Liked
    180 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeRoDaJuggalo View Post
    Dangit!!! I JUST so happen to have some "Ebay special Halo projectors"... So.... In retrospect; I should look for some NOT ebay special Halos that are already equipped with HIDs??? I hear a lot about Oracle lighting... Would you recommend them, or do you know of something better.... I was SOOOO gonna purchase a conversion kit for mine, but I am one whom tries to look at other drivers on the road the same as I would people in the grocery store.... I am a courteous and mannerful person. So, reading your thread has now caused a change of heart. Also, though, I am living and building on a budget, so I have to shop thriftily and cost is a determining factor. I DO thank you for the info. P.S..... Your blue baby is beautiful!!!! Mine is a 98. NOT so pretty. I bought her about 3 years ago, and Ive been budget building her since.... Ive got big plans for her, but its gonna take awhile before shes near as pretty as yours.... And your Satellite isnt too shabby either. I used to have a 73, but it was a 4dr ex-police car from Washington state... Again; not NEARLY as beautiful as yours!!! Thanxx again bud!
    It doesn't really make a difference whether they came with HIDs already or not, they typically all use the same projectors. From pictures I've seen they don't really cause glare, so you could try hids in them and see what you think. Halos don't necessarily mean projectors either. I think there are only two styles of projector housings out there for our 1st gens too.

These
    Name:  51d3M8IPJSL._SY300_.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  25.0 KB

And these

The second ones probably have the better projectors in them, but I honestly don't care for the looks of either of them.

Can't say for sure, but I think this is what the projector they put in those will look like.
    Good Article on Problems with pnp HIDs in Halogen Housings-p1158183.jpg

Now as far as projectors go they're pretty bad (beam pattern), but compared to reflectors they're much better than throwing in pnps. They'll probably give you better light than the stock lights did too. Just do get a cheap chinese no name hid setup, because poor bulb alignment is a big issue with those. I'd suggest a setup from DDM, VVME, or The Retrofit Source (theirs are the best, but most expensive).

What I'd ultimately recommend doing is retrofitting in some hid projectors. I don't know how it would go with those projector housings, but in the factory style 2 piece housings like I have (with the clear lens, not fluted lens) all you have to do is bake off the lens, and then the H1 projectors will screw right in. TRS has the best h1 projectors out there, but they're not cheap at $140. They do sell scratch and dent ones for $50 and old versions of them for $20.

Thanks for the compliments too. My Durango has been in the family since new and I got it 6 years ago when I got my licence, so I've been modding it on a college students budget recently The Satellite my grandpap drove to Westinghouse from the early 70s up to the early 90s and gave it to me to restore. It's going to need an engine rebuild since it's got over 300k miles on it, but it still runs. So far I've just been doing body work on it.
    Last edited by that_guy; 09-14-2014 at 08:22 AM.
    -Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links