Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Need Gas Door HELP

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Need Gas Door HELP

I have a 2014 Durango and the gas door hinge appears to be broken. The mechanism works to release the door, but the door will not pop open. You have to pry the door open while someone hits the button. Once the door is open, it very floppy and the bottom part of the hinge is not attached. The top part of the hinge is still attached. So, I know that its broken, but I cant figure out how to get the door off to replace it. Does anyone know how to get the gas door assembly off? The shitty part is, they dont sell the doors painted, so you have to take it to a shop to get it color matched.... which we know is never correct. WTF DODGE? Thanks for any help.

Member #
    Liked
    903 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Citadel
    Mods
    None worth mentioning
    Quote Originally Posted by random155 View Post
    I have a 2014 Durango and the gas door hinge appears to be broken. The mechanism works to release the door, but the door will not pop open. You have to pry the door open while someone hits the button. Once the door is open, it very floppy and the bottom part of the hinge is not attached. The top part of the hinge is still attached. So, I know that its broken, but I cant figure out how to get the door off to replace it. Does anyone know how to get the gas door assembly off? The shitty part is, they dont sell the doors painted, so you have to take it to a shop to get it color matched.... which we know is never correct. WTF DODGE? Thanks for any help.
    Assuming you are out of warranty at this point? There should be a manual door release in the left side cargo compartment, but I'm not sure if you can access the assembly from there and not just the manual release cable... if not there, you may want to pry the wheel well plastic back to see if you can get at it that way. Hopefully you dont have to start pulling out interior panels

I personally haven't had any issues with color matching. I unfortunately have had to have both my D's painted and you can't tell the difference whatsoever between the factory finish and body shop.
    Ansar likes this.
    Current:

2015 Durango Citadel
    2017 Daytona 392 Charger

Gone, but not forgotten:
    2014 Durango R/T
    K&N CAI I 22" Viper Reps I MGP Caliper Covers I Corsa Exhaust I Diablotoona Tune I Modern Muscle TB I 180 TStat
    BT Catch Can I Lots of Billet Goodies I Tinted Tailights I Mopar Hitch I Mopar Stainless Pedals & Sill Guards I Triton LEDs I DDM 3000K HID Fogs I Husky Splash Guards

Check out my noob's guide to gen 3 modding: http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/d...3-durango.html

dodgedurango.net - Often Imitated, Never Duplicated

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thanks for the help. For now I just put a piece of foam with an adhesive strip on one side on the inside of the door. This way, when the release button is pushed the foam pushes the door out. Once the snow clears Ill take the wheel and take out the fender well to see how to get the thing off.
    Ansar likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Durango SXT PLUS RWD
    This is from another forum that I came across.... I do hope you are still covered under some kind of warranty.... "UPDATE: Had the dealer replace the faulty fuel door under warrenty. They had to remove the rear wheel, remove the fender liner and go up under the wheel well to access the fuel neck assembly and housing to replace the door. Took about 1 1/2 hours to do the repair, said it was only the second one they had done."

"Help" My Fuel Door won't open - DodgeForum.com
    2015 Dodge Durango SXT PLUS RWD.... That's right, PLUS!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Vehicle
    2014 R/T AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by justchilin View Post
    This is from another forum that I came across.... I do hope you are still covered under some kind of warranty.... "UPDATE: Had the dealer replace the faulty fuel door under warrenty. They had to remove the rear wheel, remove the fender liner and go up under the wheel well to access the fuel neck assembly and housing to replace the door. Took about 1 1/2 hours to do the repair, said it was only the second one they had done."

"Help" My Fuel Door won't open - DodgeForum.com
    I've been having off and on issues opening my fuel door. It will eventually open but it is becoming a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
    "It's like buying a car where the salesman states a top speed of 200 mph only to find out that it does 100 mph straightline or 200mph when falling off a cliff." -SelousSizzle (HardOCP Forums)

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Im out of warranty. Called my dealer and the part is pretty cheap about $45. But, it needs to get painted to match my color since Dodge doesnt sell them pre-painted and the door isnt removeable from the hinge (who's the genius that designed that?). The quite was $120-$140 for the whole shabang. Problem is, they need my car for a few days to paint and replace. HUGE problem with my current situation. This is very annoying. There has to be a way to remove the door from the hinge... thats just ridiculous.
    Ansar likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Vehicle
    Durango SXT 2015 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by random155 View Post
    Im out of warranty. Called my dealer and the part is pretty cheap about $45. But, it needs to get painted to match my color since Dodge doesnt sell them pre-painted and the door isnt removeable from the hinge (who's the genius that designed that?). The quite was $120-$140 for the whole shabang. Problem is, they need my car for a few days to paint and replace. HUGE problem with my current situation. This is very annoying. There has to be a way to remove the door from the hinge... thats just ridiculous.
    Same issue here. I wedge a used gift card in the door then press the button to open. It magically works fine at the dealership!!!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    458 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Crew / 2014 Limited
    Mods
    HIDs, Mopar Hitch/wiring, Mopar splash guards, Heated leather conversion in 2011 Crew
    following... had a little hiccup with my 2014 Limited fuel door today... pressed release button at the pump, walked back to the fuel door and it was BARELY popped open... I was able to get a finger behind it and open it...... hopefully just a one time thing... but following this thread!!!!
    -Brian
    '11 Crew AWD 3.6L
    Spectre intake
    OPT7 HIDs
    OPT7 CREE V2 fogs (wired as DRL)
    Mopar steps
    Mopar hitch/wiring
    Mopar mud guards
    WeatherTech mats
    Mopar door sill guards
    OPT7 FluxBeam DRLs
    Cloth to Leather Conversion
    '14 Limited 2WD 3.6L
    AFE Intake
    Opt7 LEDs
    Opt7 HID 3000k fogs
    Go Rhino steps
    Clean Cut Decals door sill guards
    Mopar hitch/wiring
    Mopar mud guards
    Husky mats
    Luverne 3" bull bar
    255/75R17 Wranglers
    Vvivid vinyl interior trim
    Custom license plate LED mod

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Vehicle
    2014 R/T AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by caskey_b View Post
    following... had a little hiccup with my 2014 Limited fuel door today... pressed release button at the pump, walked back to the fuel door and it was BARELY popped open... I was able to get a finger behind it and open it...... hopefully just a one time thing... but following this thread!!!!
    Since I'm working from home and I fill up once a month it seems that this problem happens each time I go to use the door. It seemed like if my door got more exercise it would work more often. Once I get it open at a gas pump, if I close it again and hit the button to open it will pop right out like it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
    "It's like buying a car where the salesman states a top speed of 200 mph only to find out that it does 100 mph straightline or 200mph when falling off a cliff." -SelousSizzle (HardOCP Forums)

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Just a little update... So the doors do come painted to match. The first dealer I called was clueless. The second dealer I called said they come painted to match your D. But, before ordering he mentioned that the fuel door housing contains part of the hinge. So, I'll be taking the whole thing apart and seeing what is broken before I order anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links