Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hellcat Throttle Body

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Vehicle
    15DDRT
    Mods
    2.9 Whipple SC | ARH 1 & 7/8 Headers & Pipes (no cats) | Alchy 100% Meth Kit

Hellcat Throttle Body

Had this thought broached to me today with my whipple supercharger. Figured if I'm going to do it... Do it before I get it tuned again here on 1/20/17. They do exist, and work on the 5.7. What are your thoughts?

Hellcat 95mm Throttle Body Adapter to 5.7L 6.1L HEMI Intake by Modern Muscle - Modern Muscle Xtreme

https://www.thefastman.com/throttlebodiesHemi.php

Hellcat Throttle Body-img_20161231_110542664.jpg

DD15-R/T-RWD

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Brilliant Black Dodge Durango Limited Blacktop Edition
    On my turbo vehicles, the throttle body was noticable but not as much as exhaust or cams. Naturally Aspirated get choked down the most by throttle bodies, because they suck for performance (pun WAS intended). But seeing as the supercharger is on the engine side of the throttle body, I'm not sure. You know if the hole in the Wipple's flange is even that large or will you have to port that to reap the true benefit? (shavings + Wipple = DANGER).

You are cramming air into the motor, with force, but its trying to basicly free flow out the tailpipe aside from what little force the exhaust stroke gets. Headers and large exhaust would help create a more suction on the exhaust ports know as scavenging.

The cams with differant lift/duration allow more air to flow in and and open the exhaust earlier to help evacuate it. Scavenging would suck on the cylinder helping the piston come up faster improving engine response, AND with the overlap the intake will open while exhaust is still open briefly and SUCK the intake change in a bit more by "overlapping". Overlap is also what gives that trademark "muscle car idle".

Personally if I was you, which I'm not, I would go with this cam to perk up that "weak" range on your dyno sheet I seen under 2,400RPM, some long tube headers, corsa, etc. Cam would require of R&R (Remove&Reinstall) of the Wipple unfortunately.

5.7L HEMI VVT Performance S/C Camshaft by Modern Muscle - Modern Muscle Xtreme
    HEMI MDS Delete Kit by MOPAR
    HEMI VVT Limiter

End of my $0.02
    Last edited by Tweak; 01-08-2017 at 02:43 AM.
    DD2015RT likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Vehicle
    15DDRT
    Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
    On my turbo vehicles, the throttle body was noticable but not as much as exhaust or cams. Naturally Aspirated get choked down the most by throttle bodies, because they suck for performance (pun WAS intended). But seeing as the supercharger is on the engine side of the throttle body, I'm not sure. You know if the hole in the Wipple's flange is even that large or will you have to port that to reap the true benefit? (shavings + Wipple = DANGER).

You are cramming air into the motor, with force, but its trying to basicly free flow out the tailpipe aside from what little force the exhaust stroke gets. Headers and large exhaust would help create a more suction on the exhaust ports know as scavenging.

The cams with differant lift/duration allow more air to flow in and and open the exhaust earlier to help evacuate it. Scavenging would suck on the cylinder helping the piston come up faster improving engine response, AND with the overlap the intake will open while exhaust is still open briefly and SUCK the intake change in a bit more by "overlapping". Overlap is also what gives that trademark "muscle car idle".

Personally if I was you, which I'm not, I would go with this cam to perk up that "weak" range on your dyno sheet I seen under 2,400RPM, some long tube headers, corsa, etc. Cam would require of R&R (Remove&Reinstall) of the Wipple unfortunately.

5.7L HEMI VVT Performance S/C Camshaft by Modern Muscle - Modern Muscle Xtreme
    HEMI MDS Delete Kit by MOPAR
    HEMI VVT Limiter

End of my $0.02
    Thanks for the reply, I believe I understand what you've said - the cam stuff I need to learn more about. I should of mentioned I have the ARH 1 & 7/8 headers with a no cat straight pipe. Furthermore I did ceramic coating on the whole kit to not only reduce engine bay heat but to push out exhaust/heat faster. Part of my research led me to determine the pushing of air in via the whipple sc, that I needed a good exit via the exhaust - the ARH heads. I did the 7/8 rather than the 3/4 due to future planned mods (financial dependent, lol).

This TB, going to get confirmation, is a straight replacement to the stock one. Same fit.

I don't know how costly it would be to do the cam install. The TB would be a quicky, yet not a complete super expense. This is something I feel comfortable installing myself where I'd have to pay for the cam.
    Last edited by DD2015RT; 01-08-2017 at 07:38 AM.

DD15-R/T-RWD

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    501 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Dodge Durango RT AWD
    Mods
    Whipple 2.9L Supercharger, Magnaflow cat-back, Tuned by Peitz Performance Tunes
    Quote Originally Posted by DD2015RT View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I believe I understand what you've said - the cam stuff I need to learn more about. I should of mentioned I have the ARH 1 & 7/8 headers with a no cat straight pipe. Furthermore I did ceramic coating on the whole kit to not only reduce engine bay heat but to push out exhaust/heat faster. Part of my research led me to determine the pushing of air in via the whipple sc, that I needed a good exit via the exhaust - the ARH heads. I did the 7/8 rather than the 3/4 due to future planned mods (financial dependent, lol).

This TB, going to get confirmation, is a straight replacement to the stock one. Same fit.

I don't know how costly it would be to do the cam install. The TB would be a quicky, yet not a complete super expense. This is something I feel comfortable installing myself where I'd have to pay for the cam.
    I would not be surprised to see $1000-1500 for a cam/lifters install. These engines require the heads to come off to get to the lifters. It is not a quick or easy job and that's without having a blower to deal with. If you're going to consider a cam swap I would HIGHLY recommend just having the bottom end forged at the same time since everything is going to be taken out anyway. I don't know if I am willing to pay for a set of expensive heads but it probably wouldn't hurt to have your OEM heads freshened up with a basic port/polish job at your local machine shop. Any new cam/lifter kit should also include upgraded springs so (again) you might as well do it all while you're in there. Just my thoughts on that....

The Whipple already has an adapter to mount your OEM TB to the Whipple snout and it tapers from the 85mm OEM TB to the giant opening inside the Whipple. You should call Modern Muscle to make sure you get whatever correct adapters you need. You don't want to go from the 95mm Hellcat TB to the 85mm OEM adapter to the Whipple snout. With that said, I would do the HC TB before you get tuned. It's a bolt-on mod that you'll see a benefit from, unlike people with completely stock NA un-tuned motors bolting on a ported TB and claiming ridiculous HP gains. Let me know how it works for you. I'm about to sell my house and I may be able to convince my wife to spend the money on a TB for ours.
    DD2015RT and Tweak like this.
    -Bryan

2014 Durango RT: Road Magnet springs, 2.9L Whipple, Magnaflow cat-back, ARH LT headers, tuned by Peitz Performance Tunes (No Updated Time Yet)

2006 Charger SRT8: Nitrous Outlet plate w/ 100hp shot, Paramount trans and 2800 converter, Getrag 3.91, tuned by Peitz Performance Tunes. (11.809 @ 116.15 mph)

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    I have seen benefit on Whipple superchargers installed on 8.2L GM engines swapping out the factory TB for a larger Whipple TB. Better response and power...though the better throttle response the big gain.

Modern Muscle is a good source for VVT Hemi upgrades, but swapping a cam in is a big job and IMO one you would do before Whipple install.
    Then when swapping out a cam, you can run into other needed upgrades to get the most out of the cam install...so in this case I'd stick with the stock cam.

Better gains with exhaust mods such as Long Tube headers, but those too can be a pain to install...at least they are in a LX, not sure on a D, but in a LX you might as well just pull the heads its that much a pain.

Also, I've used a Fastman modded TB on a 4.7L with a cam swap and didn't see any real gain. I think it was a waste of coin.
    Problem is it was just a taper bore, the TB blade was the same size as OEM, its like putting a 3" on in place of the 2.5" exhaust but leaving the 2.5" muffler on.
    Bottom line is unless the TB blade is replaced with a larger diameter and the entire TB bored out you won't see any real gain.

I like the Hellcat TB swap or Whipple TB swap much better than modifying the OEM TB.
    Bryali and DD2015RT like this.

Member #
    Liked
    514 times
    This guy I know who did a cam on his 2015 charger rt told me he paid 4500$ parts n labor n tune.
    1000 was for ecu n tuner. He went with a inertia Motorsports cam, car made 440whp and 415wtq from a 5.7 bottom.
    Safe to say our oem cam is deff a power robber
    2015 rt silver metallic blk top AKA BEAST MODE
    Afe momentum intake ,vled tritons, Ddm tuning can bus hid 3k fogs ,upr catch can, weather tech floor mats,Corsa cat back!! I post using my cell phone so please forgive misspellings and grammar errors .

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Vehicle
    15DDRT
    Mods
    FYI. Talked to Modern Muscle and they confirmed a fit with the Whipple. Ordering one today.
    Bryali likes this.

DD15-R/T-RWD

Member #
    Liked
    514 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DD2015RT View Post
    FYI. Talked to Modern Muscle and they confirmed a fit with the Whipple. Ordering one today.
    Dude the hell cat tb are like 220-250 just buy the adapter 450 is really over priced
    2015 rt silver metallic blk top AKA BEAST MODE
    Afe momentum intake ,vled tritons, Ddm tuning can bus hid 3k fogs ,upr catch can, weather tech floor mats,Corsa cat back!! I post using my cell phone so please forgive misspellings and grammar errors .

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Vehicle
    15DDRT
    Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Robfrmny21 View Post
    Dude the hell cat tb are like 220-250 just buy the adapter 450 is really over priced
    I definitely looked at that prior to making my purchase, and factoring in with them making sure it works on my Whipple. Figured with the port/polish and the experience of MM... it was a worthy investment.

DD15-R/T-RWD

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    DD2015RT. How much the custom grill cost you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links