Need Help : Whipple SC : Can it break a water pump?
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need Help : Whipple SC : Can it break a water pump?

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Vehicle
    15DDRT
    Mods
    2.9 Whipple SC | ARH 1 & 7/8 Headers & Pipes (no cats) | Alchy 100% Meth Kit

Need Help : Whipple SC : Can it break a water pump?

Had my Whipple SC'd Durango for about two weeks now.

So I thought I smelled coolant the first day I had picked it up, and was told it would go away. I also mentioned that temps appearing to be a bit high, particularly taking a bit of time to cool down, and said that would go away... Well it didn't, and after further investigating it, there's a small leak on the water pump I believe near the pulley of the water pump.

Dodge/Fiat C are refusing to warranty it (obviously so), and at 24k miles - my truck was flawless before bringing it to the shop.

When I spoke with the installer, he said something to the effect of the pulley pulling different, and that may have caused it - my BS trigger in my head is going off. They've already done body damage to my vehicle, and some old parts they took money off of. My gut leads me to believe that the installer did something to prompt this.

Thoughts?

DD15-R/T-RWD

Member #
    Liked
    366 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD
    Mods
    LED Fog Lamps
    Make sure the belt isn't too tight, otherwise I'd say just an unlucky break and you somehow got one of the bad ones a lot of us got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 HEMI Citadel AWD aka "Klaus"
    Mopar Cold Air Intake
    Gibson Axle back exhaust
    Osram CBI 5500k 35W low beam HID

2012 Dodge Caliber SXT aka Trixie

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    yea there are a lot of dd's that had bad water pumps....I'm guessing its just bad luck

Quote Originally Posted by DD2015RT View Post
    Had my Whipple SC'd Durango for about two weeks now.

So I thought I smelled coolant the first day I had picked it up, and was told it would go away. I also mentioned that temps appearing to be a bit high, particularly taking a bit of time to cool down, and said that would go away... Well it didn't, and after further investigating it, there's a small leak on the water pump I believe near the pulley of the water pump.

Dodge/Fiat C are refusing to warranty it (obviously so), and at 24k miles - my truck was flawless before bringing it to the shop.

When I spoke with the installer, he said something to the effect of the pulley pulling different, and that may have caused it - my BS trigger in my head is going off. They've already done body damage to my vehicle, and some old parts they took money off of. My gut leads me to believe that the installer did something to prompt this.

Thoughts?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    To answer you...No, the Whipple can't break a water pump.
    Sounds like the seal is bad on the water pump...there is a weep hole built in to water pumps which will leak small amount of coolant when the seal is bad.
    Its a sign to replace before the bearing locks up and disables the truck on the side of the road.

Keep the coolant topped off and seeing Mopar won't cover it now that the engine is modified, find a good local repair shop and I would bring them a new Mopar water pump to install.

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Brilliant Black Dodge Durango Limited Blacktop Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    To answer you...No, the Whipple can't break a water pump.
    Sounds like the seal is bad on the water pump...there is a weep hole built in to water pumps which will leak small amount of coolant when the seal is bad.
    Its a sign to replace before the bearing locks up and disables the truck on the side of the road.

Keep the coolant topped off and seeing Mopar won't cover it now that the engine is modified, find a good local repair shop and I would bring them a new Mopar water pump to install.
    ^This, and you made it 4x the miles that my 2008 Dodge Avenger made it, at 5,700 the was a terrible sound and the bearings were on the way out. Its a crap shoot, some people buy used cars and drive them for YEARS with no problem, others buy new and have nothing BUT problems.
    Robfrmny21 likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Dodge Durango RT
    Mods
    2.9l Whipple Super Charger
    I had a coolant smell day one after my install, and after Bryali's story of his radiator cracking during his install I feared perhaps that happened during the install. Mind you, they also installed a new thermostat and intercooler...there was bound to be spillage from that.

It's been a week for me since I got mine back and I don't recall smelling any coolant since the beginning of the weekend, but I'll keep an eye on mine. For the most part I've been behaving in the truck, save a few wot pulls just to make sure the ponies are there, you know, for science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD2015RT likes this.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    The other thing that comes to mind is that maybe they didn't burp the cooling system when refilling it after the thermostat replacement/radiator removal and re-install or after draining the coolant.
    If you don't purge the air out of the system, you'll see the exact symptoms you mentioned of the truck running hotter and not cooling down.

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Vehicle
    15DDRT
    Mods
    2.9 Whipple SC | ARH 1 & 7/8 Headers & Pipes (no cats) | Alchy 100% Meth Kit
    Dealership is saying in their opinion, looking at it... That the pump having the leak that it has, is quite premature. Stopping by there today. Asking them to document everything in case.

Does anyone know, by off chance, if there's a different water pump set up between an RT and a SRT? Thinking outside the box. This is regards to FCC vehicles overall.

DD15-R/T-RWD

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    The water pumps will interchange...the difference is the water pump for the 6.4L has a note for an oil cooler which I'm not sure all 5.7L have. Might be just special service 5.7L as I see a listing for the same water pump the 6.4L has but a note that it is for 5.7L with oil cooler.
    So it might have another outlet, nipple or maybe slightly higher output...would be nice to compare the two side by side.
    Its also A LOT less expensive.

6.4L Water Pump P/N 5038677AD $85
    5.7L Water Pump w/o oil cooler P/N 5038668AD $187
    5.7L Water Pump w/oil cooler P/N 5038677AD...same as 6.4L.

Both Water Pumps use same gasket P/N 4792922AD
    DD2015RT likes this.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Found this over on a Jeep site....and I would think worthwhile for heavy towing or all you Whipple D's!

The 2013 and 2014 WD (Durango) has an available oil cooler for the 5.7 as part of the police service package {AHV Production code}. As it turns out, with some part swapping, all the parts which make this up are a direct fit for the 5.7L WK2. It does involve some work though and it's not just an oil cooler.

You will need:

05038677AB Water pump. It's different from the stock one in that it has an outlet for the oil cooler inlet.

05038697AA Oil cooler tube connector (goes onto the water pump nipple).

52014895AC Radiator outlet hose. Includes the hose to the oil cooler.

52014896AB Engine coolant to oil cooler hose. This one goes from the water pump to the oil cooler. Includes a bracket that mounts to the engine.

06509216AA Bolt. For mounting the bracket from the above hose.

04893310AA Engine oil cooler. Mounts onto the existing oil filter adapter. Includes seal and extended oil filter fitting. Check out the link below for pics of this setup.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...4893310AA.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links