Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Vehicle
    15 Dodge Durango Limited V6 AWD

Tire chains suggestions

Hey all,

I've done some searching on here and couldn't really find a definitive answer. I know there are limited clearance issues when using chains. I know the manual states to use the Thule XG-12 tire chains. Those cost like $250ish!

I looked on the SCC (Security Chain Company) fit guide and saw the Z-579, ZT747 and the SZ447 claim to fit the stock 18" tires. But when using the Amazon fit guide, it shows nothing fits.

What chains have you got to work on the stock 18" wheels/tires, 265/60r18?

Thanks.
    David
    15 Dodge Durango LImited V6 AWD - Granite Crystal Metallic
    10 Mazda 3 HB S Grand Touring

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Brilliant Black Dodge Durango Limited Blacktop Edition
    Nice looking used set here for $150 Thule 12mm XG12 Pro Deluxe SUV/Crossover Snow Chain, Size 225 (Sold in pairs) - | eBay
    Its illegal here to use chains so I'm not sure if used is bad or not. Just throwing out a link.

Another http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thule-12MM-X...3D282109671014
    Last edited by Tweak; 12-05-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
    Nice looking used set here for $150 Thule 12mm XG12 Pro Deluxe SUV/Crossover Snow Chain, Size 225 (Sold in pairs) - | eBay
    Its illegal here to use chains so I'm not sure if used is bad or not. Just throwing out a link.

Another Thule 12MM XG -12 Pro SUV/Crossover Snow Chains. Size 247.
    Thanks for the ideas. But I could still get the SCC chains for cheaper. They claim to fit the tire size, and meet the limited clearance needs (down to 6mm).

I'm surprised more people don't have chains just in case. I doubt I'll have to use them, but it sometimes is required on the roads.

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by DHall View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. But I could still get the SCC chains for cheaper. They claim to fit the tire size, and meet the limited clearance needs (down to 6mm).

I'm surprised more people don't have chains just in case. I doubt I'll have to use them, but it sometimes is required on the roads.
    You're welcome, well why not get the SCC chains and try them? I typically follow the advise of the manufacture on things like that, as I wouldn't want to eat my paint or anything else a chain might do if it doesn't have enough clearance. A limited sits about 0.75" to 1" higher than a R/T so make sure its accounting for that maybe? I would think if its within clearance requirements, it should work. And sadly have no recommendations on brands, Thrule is trusted for roof racks, no clue how they do with chains.

As far as wondering why more people don't run them, I believe chains and studded tires are illegal in MANY places because of destroying the roadways. Michigan gets lake effect snow....daily...and we can't even run them. I heard they are allowed in the mountains tho. And this concludes your free bump to the top of the forum!

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Vehicle
    The manual says the THULE XG-12 PRO traction device or equivalent. So they aren't saying the Thule ones are the only ones that work. There are other comparable ones out there.

I saw a review of the SCC SZ447 on Amazon that was from a Durango owner. He said they fit fine so far. With that, I felt comfortable buying them. I'll post back here when I test fit them in the garage.

I don't plan on having to use the chains too often. We're not getting snow tires this year to see how the all season tires work out. If we need extra traction, then I'll have the chains. The only time I see using the chains would be on the mountain passes. We sometimes get 'chains required except on AWD/4WD' advisories. Yes I have AWD but it'll be nice to know I've got chains if it gets any worse.

Studded tires are legal in WA, along with chains if needed.

Thanks and I'll post again when I test fit the chains.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Vehicle
    The SCC SZ447 chains do not fit. They would hit the brake line causing severe damage. May have to bite the bullet and spend a bit more.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Vehicle
    2016 AWD Platinum Citadel V8
    The SCC SZ447 chains do not fit. They would hit the brake line causing severe damage. May have to bite the bullet and spend a bit more.
    Did you happen to take a picture of the clearance issues? I am shopping for chains right now. What part of the chain would hit the brake line?

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by skypants View Post
    Did you happen to take a picture of the clearance issues? I am shopping for chains right now. What part of the chain would hit the brake line?
    No picture. The chains went far down the sidewalls. Even when I took the slack out, the cables would hit the brake line. I didn't try moving the car due to fear it would get caught and snag the line immediately.

I've given up on chains since I knew I was going to get dedicated winter tires. I just ordered some yesterday. With winter tires and AWD I doubt I'll need chains.
    Tweak and Robfrmny21 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Vehicle
    I've given up on chains since I knew I was going to get dedicated winter tires. I just ordered some yesterday. With winter tires and AWD I doubt I'll need chains.
    Its a pain having dedicated tires because the labor/time/storage but I find our safety/performance is worth the mild hassle. Between the girls' cars and the ones I drive year round, thats 4-6 sets of winter wheels/tires to store and swap out 2x a year. I can't stand "All Seasons", they suck during all of the seasons. The multiple AWD vehicles with blizzaks i've had were just insane, they drop on glare ice like it was summer. One thing was, you never knew how bad it was till you tried to stop since they are directional and faced for forward motion more some than braking.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    '14 Durango Citadel AWD Hemi, Max Steel
    I have the SZ447 chains, and they fit fine for me. But I have 20" wheels, and the Hemi AWD, where the OP appears to have 18" wheels and the Pentastar AWD, so all those differences prob explain why it works for me but not for OP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links