Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tire chains suggestions

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Vehicle
    15 Dodge Durango Limited V6 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
    Its a pain having dedicated tires because the labor/time/storage but I find our safety/performance is worth the mild hassle. Between the girls' cars and the ones I drive year round, thats 4-6 sets of winter wheels/tires to store and swap out 2x a year. I can't stand "All Seasons", they suck during all of the seasons. The multiple AWD vehicles with blizzaks i've had were just insane, they drop on glare ice like it was summer. One thing was, you never knew how bad it was till you tried to stop since they are directional and faced for forward motion more some than braking.
    We only have two cars, so two set of tires/wheels isn't bad. And i don't mind spending the time to swap the tires. Safety is my number one goal.
    15 Dodge Durango LImited V6 AWD GCM
    Husky Mud Guards, Debadged Rear, 18" 7 Spoke Wrangler wheels, some plasti dip
    10 Mazda 3 HB S Grand Touring
    MGB GT....coming soon

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by frankd1 View Post
    I have the SZ447 chains, and they fit fine for me. But I have 20" wheels, and the Hemi AWD, where the OP appears to have 18" wheels and the Pentastar AWD, so all those differences prob explain why it works for me but not for OP.
    I wonder why that is...maybe because of the profile difference of the tires, 20 vs 18".

Are the rear brakes different too? Could be another reason depending on caliper/lines.
    MGB GT....coming soon

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    '14 Durango Citadel AWD Hemi, Max Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by DHall View Post
    I wonder why that is...maybe because of the profile difference of the tires, 20 vs 18".

Are the rear brakes different too? Could be another reason depending on caliper/lines.
    I just checked the mfg website out of curiosity... for 20" (265/50-20), they recommend SZ447, but for 18" (265/60-18) they recommend SZ441. Maybe their fit guide was messed up back when you checked it out, but it sounds like they steered you to the wrong size.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Vehicle
    I just checked the mfg website out of curiosity... for 20" (265/50-20), they recommend SZ447, but for 18" (265/60-18) they recommend SZ441. Maybe their fit guide was messed up back when you checked it out, but it sounds like they steered you to the wrong size.
    When I checked it before, it said both those would fit. I remember reading that number as well. But now I only see the SZ441, like you mention.

Either I looked it up wrong, or their info was incorrect at the time of my purchase.

In the end, we have confirmation that the ones you have, SZ447, do fit the 20" DD tires. But no confirmation for the 18" tires with the SZ441.
    MGB GT....coming soon

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Vehicle
    I went through the history of my computer and found the chart I was using to look up the chains. It was an old version. I looked it up again on their site and they have an updated 2016 version that is different from what I looked at.
    I had to prove to myself I didn't look it up incorrectly. Glad I looked. I feel better about not being wrong.
    MGB GT....coming soon

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    An addendum... I used the SZ447s last winter with no problem. This past fall, I replaced the factory Fortera tires with Michelin Premier LTXs. This coming weekend we're doing our annual Yosemite trip, so between this thread and the storms that just passed through NorCal, I got paranoid and decided to make sure there was no issues with the SZ447s and the new tires. It makes absolutely NO sense to me, because I can't explain why it would make a difference, but if the chains aren't positioned exactly right, they CAN hit the brake line with the new tires (where last winter there was no clearance issue).

I decided to go ahead and buy the Thule/Konig XG12s (even though the price SUCKS right now, they're half this price during the off season), because I don't want to have to be struggling at a chain control stop this weekend to get the chains positioned correctly. If there is an upside, I'm glad this thread made me double check... it would be a lousy weekend if I went with the SZ447s, and had to turn around because I noticed the issue and couldn't use the chains, or worse- lost my brakes because I didn't notice the issue.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Vehicle
    An addendum... I used the SZ447s last winter with no problem. This past fall, I replaced the factory Fortera tires with Michelin Premier LTXs. This coming weekend we're doing our annual Yosemite trip, so between this thread and the storms that just passed through NorCal, I got paranoid and decided to make sure there was no issues with the SZ447s and the new tires. It makes absolutely NO sense to me, because I can't explain why it would make a difference, but if the chains aren't positioned exactly right, they CAN hit the brake line with the new tires (where last winter there was no clearance issue).

I decided to go ahead and buy the Thule/Konig XG12s (even though the price SUCKS right now, they're half this price during the off season), because I don't want to have to be struggling at a chain control stop this weekend to get the chains positioned correctly. If there is an upside, I'm glad this thread made me double check... it would be a lousy weekend if I went with the SZ447s, and had to turn around because I noticed the issue and couldn't use the chains, or worse- lost my brakes because I didn't notice the issue.
    Interesting...please confirm the Thule XG12's fit when you get them.
    MGB GT....coming soon

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    Will do. They're supposed to arrive tomorrow. Will definitely be trying them on before we leave Fri.
    justchilin likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    520 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
    Its a pain having dedicated tires because the labor/time/storage but I find our safety/performance is worth the mild hassle. Between the girls' cars and the ones I drive year round, thats 4-6 sets of winter wheels/tires to store and swap out 2x a year. I can't stand "All Seasons", they suck during all of the seasons. The multiple AWD vehicles with blizzaks i've had were just insane, they drop on glare ice like it was summer. One thing was, you never knew how bad it was till you tried to stop since they are directional and faced for forward motion more some than braking.
    If I recall your dealer should store them for you
    2015 rt silver metallic blk top AKA Str8 dud
    Never buying another fca product as I have awd dud nothing but problems!! I post using my cell phone so please forgive misspellings and grammar errors .

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    Got the XG12s last night, just tried them on this morning after dropping my daughter off at school. Very easy to install (compared to the SZ447s), and no problem with the brake line. When I get back from Yosemite, and the weather dries out, I might try to go back and figure out how the SZ447s worked for me last year (before I eBay them).
    DHall and justchilin like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links