Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2012 durango 5,7 engine stalls while driving no lights or code set

Grasshopper
    Member #

2012 durango 5,7 engine stalls while driving no lights or code set

i have a 2012 durango Citadel with the 5,7 hemi engine that has stalled several times over the last two months ,sometimes taking off from a light or while driving. Has been back to the dealer 3 times for same issue with out solution because no lights come on the dash and does not set any code. Recall for fuel relay was done. Anybody else have this issue??? Going back to dealer again on tuesday any info would be appreciated. thanx

Member #
    Liked
    366 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD
    Mods
    LED Fog Lamps
    Make sure they actually did the relay bypass, there will be a relay cube near the TIPM. Your symptoms sound exactly like an intermittent cut out on the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 HEMI Citadel AWD aka "Klaus"
    Mopar Cold Air Intake
    Gibson Axle back exhaust
    Osram CBI 5500k 35W low beam HID

2012 Dodge Caliber SXT aka Trixie

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Durango Hemi Citadel
    Good luck. Mine does the exact same thing. It's happened to me twice in the last two months, both times it cut out immediately after letting up on the brake. One time I was turning, another time I was trying to leave a traffic light. Not fun stuff. My dealer hasn't found anything either. It's starting to sound like a TIPM issue, but it's a $1000 part, so it's pretty expensive to just guess, and there's apparently no way to test it.
    Laurie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Durango Crew, Lux Package, 5.7L HEMI
    guys, there IS a way to test it. go to Vertical Visions - Engineering Services, TIPM Cables, Human Catapulting, BASE Jumping and look right on the home page for the TIPM test/bypass cables. the owner (Jason, if I remember) was an Electrical Engr grad and got tired of his JGC issue and came up with a plug in bypass that piggy-backs off another relay at the same time to provide alternate power. I bought one for about $26 shipped and ran it for a couple months until the local dealer had the parts for the recall. absolutely did the trick. only difference was I didn't have remote start once my fuel pump relay totally went. the Remote Start sequence is very selective on what it powers up.

you probably want to email Jason and get his input on the correct way to plug in the bypass with the recall bypass already being done. I took enough engineering and physics and have spliced enough wires to get what he did but I'd have to sit down and study it to tell you the correct connections with the recall bypass.

the basic theory is IF your TIPM is failing in the area of the fuel pump relay or your new bypass relay for the fuel pump is failing, you can simultaneously draw power from another relay that turns on with the key and it can power your fuel pump. if you run the relay and the D does not stall when it normally would then very good chance it is the fuel pump relay. however, if it keeps stalling even with the piggy-back bypass installed then your answer lies somewhere else.
    -Dan

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have a 2012 Durango Crew, which stalls when coming to a stop. Iahve had two case numbers with Dodge. Several visits to the dealer. Even left vehicle with dealer (twice). They could not duplicate the problem. Made a 1200 mile trip last month no problem. In the past three weeks it has stalled 5 times. All when coming to a stop. At this point no one seems to give a hoot about the problem. Does something serious have to happen to get a fix???????

03/25/16 At the dealer after 7 more stalls in a week. Been escalated at Chrysler. Will let you know outcome.

5/9/16 Went to the dealer a month ago with the same issue. Ended up talking to the scheduler who happen to have years of experience with he I stalling. I had a K N filter in my hemi. He told me there was an issue the oil in the filter. H e said the oil will atomizes when engine running. This oil will accumulate in the throttle body. There are some small orifices in the throttle body. So it was decided to remove the KN filter and install a stock filter. Sat the same had the throttle body cleaned.. To date (5weeks) my Durango has not stalled at all. Will continue to monitor.
    Last edited by russb; 05-09-2016 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Update

Grasshopper
    Member #

total incompetant cust service

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    I have a 2012 Durango Crew, which stalls when coming to a stop. Iahve had two case numbers with Dodge. Several visits to the dealer. Even left vehicle with dealer (twice). They could not duplicate the problem. Made a 1200 mile trip last month no problem. In the past three weeks it has stalled 5 times. All when coming to a stop. At this point no one seems to give a hoot about the problem. Does something serious have to happen to get a fix???????

03/25/16 At the dealer after 7 more stalls in a week. Been escalated at Chrysler. Will let you know outcome.
    I have been to 3 differernt dealers without result.the stalling has happened since last oct or so changed air filter and seemed to go away for a couple of weeks ,then got recall notice for fuel pump relay, and had it done figuring that was problem,nope still happening.I have a case# and have been though several levels of Chryslers so called customer service, they are totally incompetent. they made me a service appointment and a week later didnt even know what dealer it was at. got a call today from service manager saying they were going to hook up a "flight recorder" which monitors the sensors. we will see.

Member #
    Liked
    158 times
    Vehicle
    2016 R/T | RWD
    My old 2012 Crew (V6) had the TIPM recall work done last year, and I have since sold it to my brother. A few weeks back, he also experienced a no start condition which acted like the fuel pump relay was bad. It did it 3 times in one day, and hasn't done it again. He called me when it happened, and I asked him to check the external relay which was added by the recall work, and to see if anything was loose. He wiggled it all, and said nothing was loose.

I wonder if there's a bad connection in some of the vehicles with the bypass. When I experienced the issue, before the recall work was done, I bought two "add-a-circuits" and soldered them together to make my own bypass cable. Basically, what this cable does, is take 12v power from the accessory circuit (fuse location M7) and route it to the fuel pump circuit (fuse location M25) and bypasses the fuel pump relay which is integrated into the TIPM.

With this bypass cable in place, when the key is "on", the fuel pump energizes and runs constantly.

This is what the jumper looks like after connecting the two add-a-circuits
    2012 durango  5,7 engine stalls while driving  no lights or code set-img_1436.jpg

And here is where you connect the ends. Remove the fuses from M7 and M25, and insert the jumper into those locations. the M7 location has 3 pins, so there's 2 locations the end can be inserted. Put it into the left side location. This will send power to the fuel pump only when the key is on. If you put it into the right side location, it will send constant power ro the fuel pump, even when the key is off.
    2012 durango  5,7 engine stalls while driving  no lights or code set-tipm_jumper2.jpg

JCC
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Bumping this to the top of the forum as this last post maybe the fix I go with if Dodge wont own up to it.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Had Same problem

Quote Originally Posted by majikman View Post
    i have a 2012 durango Citadel with the 5,7 hemi engine that has stalled several times over the last two months ,sometimes taking off from a light or while driving. Has been back to the dealer 3 times for same issue with out solution because no lights come on the dash and does not set any code. Recall for fuel relay was done. Anybody else have this issue??? Going back to dealer again on tuesday any info would be appreciated. thanx
    I was using a KN filter, which was causing a film of oil to collect in the throttle body. Fix was to have the throttle body cleaned and installed a stock air filter. I'm running a 2012 Durango Crew with 5.7 Hemi.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    I also have a 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel, 5.7 Hemi. My vehicle has stalled five times in the last month or so. Very scary, each stalled happened while I was slowing down to take a yield/corner. It stalled with morning on me and it wouldn't start while in neutral like the times before. Has anyone found a fix for this issue?! Dealership not helpful at all.

2012 durango  5,7 engine stalls while driving  no lights or code set-dodge.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links