Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2012 durango 5,7 engine stalls while driving no lights or code set

Grasshopper
    Member #
    I having the same issue, each stall happened while I was slowing down to take a turn. As soon as I let off the brake, she would stall. Any chance you found a fix? TIA

Member #
    Liked
    1043 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    My shots would be
    1: dirty throttle body - there is no separate IAC on the 5.7, and if the bore or throttle valve are dirty it may not be able to hold idle.
    2: bad battery - unstable line voltage has been causing idle stalls on Mopars forever, it seems..
    What?
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

JCC
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    My best guess is fuel pump was the root cause for all these issues, but since the fuel pump still works even though it causes the fuel relay to trip it was more cost effective for Dodge to bypass the internal relay with $20 in parts vs the $300 in parts and 4-6 hours of labor to replace the fuel pump. The easiest solution here is to replace the fuel relay as a brand new relay tends to be less prone to cutting off the fuel pump. Keep a spare in your glove box and when new one starts tripping swap them out again. Best solution would be replace the fuel pump, but may not fix is and pricey. Appears the fuel pump has been updated several times, and I believe the current version of the pump does not have the same voltage/amperage swings that kicks off the relay have no proof of this though. Would be great if Dodge owned up to this and replaced the fuel pumps instead of trying to get by with a $20 rig job. I imagine someone with a good grasp on the wiring could replace the relay with a fuse (or place on inline with relay) rated to fail at the same point as the relay trips and could confirm by the fuse blowing that fuel pump was creating a spike. Would just suck that vehicle would not restart till fuse was replaced, but would prove the relays themselves were not the problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    366 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD
    Mods
    LED Fog Lamps
    Quote Originally Posted by JCC View Post
    My best guess is fuel pump was the root cause for all these issues, but since the fuel pump still works even though it causes the fuel relay to trip it was more cost effective for Dodge to bypass the internal relay with $20 in parts vs the $300 in parts and 4-6 hours of labor to replace the fuel pump. The easiest solution here is to replace the fuel relay as a brand new relay tends to be less prone to cutting off the fuel pump. Keep a spare in your glove box and when new one starts tripping swap them out again. Best solution would be replace the fuel pump, but may not fix is and pricey. Appears the fuel pump has been updated several times, and I believe the current version of the pump does not have the same voltage/amperage swings that kicks off the relay have no proof of this though. Would be great if Dodge owned up to this and replaced the fuel pumps instead of trying to get by with a $20 rig job. I imagine someone with a good grasp on the wiring could replace the relay with a fuse (or place on inline with relay) rated to fail at the same point as the relay trips and could confirm by the fuse blowing that fuel pump was creating a spike. Would just suck that vehicle would not restart till fuse was replaced, but would prove the relays themselves were not the problem.
    Wish I would of known about this... Got the bypass done and roughly a year later the fuel pump totally died.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    2011 HEMI Citadel AWD aka "Klaus"
    Mopar Cold Air Intake
    Gibson Axle back exhaust
    Osram CBI 5500k 35W low beam HID

2012 Dodge Caliber SXT aka Trixie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links