Adding Skid Plates to 2015 Durango (With Part Numbers)
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Adding Skid Plates to 2015 Durango (With Part Numbers)

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Adding Skid Plates to 2015 Durango (With Part Numbers)

I've now installed the skid plates on my 2015 Durango Citadel. The parts are the same as those utilized on Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2s.

There is a front skid plate that goes roughly from the front of the lower suspension cradle to the rear of the cradle (protecting engine oil pan). (Engine Skid)

There is a skid plate that covers the transfer case and mounts to the center transfer case support and left body rail. (Transfer Case Skid)

There is a skid plate that goes from the transfer case skid plate rearward towards the fuel tanks, protecting fuel system components. (Secondary Skid)

There are 2 skid plates that separately cover each gas tank. (Gas Tank Skids).

These are the parts you need:

82211994AB Skid Plate Transfer Case Skid and Secondary Skid
    82211995 Skid Plate Front Skid
    82211999 Skid Plate Gas Tank Skids

If you go to mopar online parts dot com, they have the PDF'd installation instructions for all three sets. Those sets come all-inclusive with all hardware required for the installation. All you need for the install is:

1) A way to raise the vehicle off of the ground (ramps, floor jack + jack stands, or a lift).

2) A set of Metric sockets in common sizes (from memory, I think 13MM-20mm) and a ratchet

3) Some Never-seize or a suitable lubricant.

That's it. I used an impact gun in lieu of a ratchet. Installation took about 45 minutes for all three, and I did it by myself. For the fuel tanks, I ran the car down to just about empty before installing them, as you unbolt the tanks to install the skids. The skids install in place over the tanks.

For the Secondary Skid, you remove a plastic guard that is installed from the factory, over the fuel lines.

There is not a skid plate that goes over the transmission oil pan. I suppose that it's high enough to be out of harm's way. There is also NOT A FRONT SKID PLATE that replaces the plastic piece under the radiator. I'd love to find a replacement for that, but haven't done so yet.

All in all, installation was a breeze, and the products seem good. I'm not planning on rock crawling, but I like having the skids to protect the fuel tanks and such from errant sticks, cornstalks, road debris and other similar impediments. I didn't take pictures with the install because: a) it's ridiculously easy; and, b) I was using never-seize, and didn't want to get it on my phone. There is no driving, no new holes, and no real challenges. These are the part numbers that I ordered and used--again, all hardware is included. The hardware included also includes a lot of new bolts that are the same as the existing bolts on the truck--so if you lose a bolt, you'll have replacements (I guess). Follow the instructions for a simple install. Total cost was about $450, shipped. I'd have gotten this from the factory, but the Citadel I wanted didn't have them installed.

Member #
    Liked
    119 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango R/T Blacktop Edition | Granite Crystal Metallic/Radar Red Napa Leather | RWD
    Thank you for this very in-depth review. This is definitely going on my modifications list.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD w/ Premium Group
    Pics????

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Szy_szka View Post
    Pics????
    What would you like pics of? The installed plates on the bottom of the car? Happy to take some if that's helpful.
    amelnik likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Vehicle
    2015 R/T AWD Brilliant Black
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    What would you like pics of? The installed plates on the bottom of the car? Happy to take some if that's helpful.
    Yes, please take some from the bottom, would love to see how everything looks installed.

a2t
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango R/T
    Mods
    Legmaker CAI, gorilla locks, viper start button, husky weatherbeater mats
    If someone wants to help, i can make a skid plate for under the radiator. Email me - paul@gruvenparts.com
    2015 Granite, Nappa Red Leather, AWD, Tow, S/R, 2nd Row Bench

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    There is not a skid plate that goes over the transmission oil pan.
    Lawfarm, there isn't a skid plate for the Durango, but the Jeep Grand Cherokee comes with a factory transmission belly pan cover (the same plastic type of material as the forward underbody cover). I just installed it on mine, the cover is part # 05182517AB. It'll need two bolts like the front axle/oil pan skid plate uses. Also, there are two companies that make metal covers for the transmission belly pan for the Grand Cherokee. There's the Australian company Chief Products: WK2 Transmission Protection Plate | Chief Products
    It uses the same mounting points so shouldn't have any issue installing on the D.
    There's also Shield Productions: Shield Productions WK2 Transmission Shield for Jeep Grand Cherokee
    They use slightly different mounting points it looks like so I don't know how compatible it would be with the D.

For anyone interested, here's the pics of my covers. I first installed the front axle/oil pan skid plate only since I wasn't aware of the Jeep's transmission pan cover. This was the axle/oil pan skid installed:

I've liked the piece of mind having it, and pretty sure it was useful one day following a storm when I ended up having to straddle over a tree lim. The part I haven't liked is that the transmission oil pan has no protection as you can see in the picture. While it does sit up a bit, I still don't like that it could be exposed to bouncing debris. Heres the transmission pan, seems pretty exposed for what looks like an aluminum pan:

The metal front axle/oil pan skid plate covers this transmission belly pan cover, so it needed to come down:

Here's the front axle/oil pan skid plate with the rear of it dropped to install the belly pan cover:
    [/url]
    With it lowered you can see how the oil pan sits in the front axle area a bit exposed:

Time to install the transmission belly pan cover, here it is:

Here it is installed, looking at it from the side:

And with the front axle/oil pan skid plate and transmission belly pan cover from the side:

Below are the two covers looking at them from just inside the front tire. You can see that they will do exactly what is needed from them, protecting the pans from any road debris:

I don't have the intension of heavy off roading or such, so I don't need to add further

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Anyone have pictures of "82211994AB Skid Plate Transfer Case Skid and Secondary Skid", installed? Can't figure orientation, while laying on my back.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Dodge Durango Limited
    has anyone installed these on a 2016? is it the same part numbers?

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2013 AWD SXT Durango
    Mods
    Lift, intake, exaust
    Does anyone know why there is a weight attached to the transfer case skid plate? I had to move mine because my exhaust pipe was hitting the weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links