Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Aftermarket backup camera install questions

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The PAC BCI-CH41 does not require a trip to the dealer and comes with a harness that allows you to plug in an aftermarket reverse camera to the back of the radio.

The BCI-CH41 also has quite a few other features you may like. I would recommend reading the BCI's instructions to see what it can do.

I'm an engineer at PAC and made this part. A lot of the features just come from me personally owing a 2014 Durango Limited, and now a 15 Citadel.

Grasshopper
    Member #

Backup Camera

Netmaster,

It appears the harness has a 12V power connector? So if I understand this correctly, I should be able to pickup a camera on Amazon and run the RCA and Power to the harness near the back of the head unit and it will work? I shouldn't need to tie into power from the reverse light or something like it? Also, does it support two video sources like a front and rear camera and can I access both while driving?

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Netmaster View Post
    The PAC BCI-CH41 does not require a trip to the dealer and comes with a harness that allows you to plug in an aftermarket reverse camera to the back of the radio.

The BCI-CH41 also has quite a few other features you may like. I would recommend reading the BCI's instructions to see what it can do.

I'm an engineer at PAC and made this part. A lot of the features just come from me personally owing a 2014 Durango Limited, and now a 15 Citadel.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango SXT Ralley
    Quote Originally Posted by jack0910 View Post
    No problem VTOLdriver, did you have any other questions? Citadel Brian, what did you mean as a sticky?
    Sticky just makes it easy to reference in the list of topics. Think of it as a bookmark at the top of a specific forum page. Thanks again for the help with this dude. I'm trying to figure out now which module I'd like to go with specifically what the PAC BCI-CH41 provides that the Crutchfield hardware doesn't and will I need that capability in the future.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Dodge Durango SXT
    Ah ok, so have you installed your camera yet VTOLdriver?

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepin View Post
    Netmaster,

It appears the harness has a 12V power connector? So if I understand this correctly, I should be able to pickup a camera on Amazon and run the RCA and Power to the harness near the back of the head unit and it will work? I shouldn't need to tie into power from the reverse light or something like it? Also, does it support two video sources like a front and rear camera and can I access both while driving?

Thanks for the info.
    You are 100% correct, the module has an 12 accessory output that can be used to trigger/turn on the aftermarket reverse camera. If your backup camera draws more then ~1 Amp, you may want to use a relay.

You can add front camera using our AVS21 video switcher and the "AV in Aux" feature of the BCI-CH41.
    Durangutan likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango SXT
    Does the PAC BCI-CH41 come with good instructions? I am not the handiest person but am interested in adding this module with backup camera

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnyd85 View Post
    Does the PAC BCI-CH41 come with good instructions? I am not the handiest person but am interested in adding this module with backup camera
    Vinny: I've slowly been putting in the PAC in my Durango hooked up with one of the Esky bullet cams. Getting the PAC hooked up behind the 8.4 was literally a matter of minutes provided you get a set of nylon trim removal tools (if you have a Harbor Freight nearby, a set of 5 tools was maybe $6, and they work just fine) Make sure you sequentially follow the directions 1-5 on the first page, and everything fits with no issue behind the head unit. Once you get it hooked up, follow the directions to get to the menu which works within the Audio setting in your central dash display next to your speedometer. Love the fact that it will remember my Eco setting (I hate Eco mode) and I can call up/turn off the camera at any time holding the left central button on back of wheel for a few seconds. I did lots of researching online, and while there are some cool functions with NAV TV and Lockpick - the PAC seems to be the best value if you're just trying to get a rear camera set up.

I just hooked up my newly mounted cam without hiding the wires (I highly recommend this) to make sure it all worked. Now it's a matter of sending the long RCA cable and power cable from the cam itself to the front dash hiding it all along the way.

The slow part has been getting all the panels out prepping to wire the thing from the back (I'm still not done with that) As you probably saw, Jack posted some pix on the first page of this which helped me out pretty well, and also answered some questions I had along the way. My big issue is actually getting the RCA/power wires through the dash area and down along the sides so I can tuck it under the carpet. I made the mistake of dislodging the glued panel for an airbag (had no clue it even existed!) directly under the steering column. DON'T DO THAT (a few dots of epoxy took care of it)

Good luck...

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango SXT
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Necked View Post
    Vinny: I've slowly been putting in the PAC in my Durango hooked up with one of the Esky bullet cams. Getting the PAC hooked up behind the 8.4 was literally a matter of minutes provided you get a set of nylon trim removal tools (if you have a Harbor Freight nearby, a set of 5 tools was maybe $6, and they work just fine) Make sure you sequentially follow the directions 1-5 on the first page, and everything fits with no issue behind the head unit. Once you get it hooked up, follow the directions to get to the menu which works within the Audio setting in your central dash display next to your speedometer. Love the fact that it will remember my Eco setting (I hate Eco mode) and I can call up/turn off the camera at any time holding the left central button on back of wheel for a few seconds. I did lots of researching online, and while there are some cool functions with NAV TV and Lockpick - the PAC seems to be the best value if you're just trying to get a rear camera set up.

I just hooked up my newly mounted cam without hiding the wires (I highly recommend this) to make sure it all worked. Now it's a matter of sending the long RCA cable and power cable from the cam itself to the front dash hiding it all along the way.

The slow part has been getting all the panels out prepping to wire the thing from the back (I'm still not done with that) As you probably saw, Jack posted some pix on the first page of this which helped me out pretty well, and also answered some questions I had along the way. My big issue is actually getting the RCA/power wires through the dash area and down along the sides so I can tuck it under the carpet. I made the mistake of dislodging the glued panel for an airbag (had no clue it even existed!) directly under the steering column. DON'T DO THAT (a few dots of epoxy took care of it)

Good luck...
    Thanks buck, good info here. I am in the process now of doing all the research and think I am going with the PAC. I also view Eco mode memory as a huge plus.and when compared price wise to what is out there, it's a great value.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango RT AWD
    Mods
    Front & Rear SRT Brembo Package, 20x10 SRT Black Wheels Toyo Proxies, SRT Jeep GC Mirrors
    I got a nearly new rear light assembly with the camera in it for a 2015 if anyone is interested, let me know. Barely more than that Crutchfield purchase.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links