Thread: blue smoke at startup/oil usage star case s1418000028

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango RT

blue smoke at startup/oil usage star case s1418000028

just got my d back from the dealer...

I've been experiencing blue smoke at start up along with an oil usage problem (2 liters in 3500km)

well apparently there is a star case #s1418000028 that relates to my problem.

here's from my invoice:

cause:
    Burning oil

correction:
    remove intake manifold to pressure test PCV passage as per star case s1418000028. PCV passage leaks. Intake manifold requires replacement. re-install intake. Parts on order.

there is another line on my invoice that has my complaint about blue smoke... it just says to see above.

now... i'm trying to understand how the PCV passage leaking would add oil to the intake? the PCV is supposed to exit into the intake... idk...

wondering if anyone here has ever had there intake manifold off and could share some insight...

or maybe the leak is in a spot where there is allot of oil spray and it picks up more oil...

anyone have any thoughts?
    claudio.anveres likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1806 times
    Vehicle
    2013 R/T D HEMI
    Mods
    DIABLO TUNING, 22 SRT WHEELS, AFE CAI, BILLET TECH GOODIES, CORSA
    The passage is supposed to be a specific path the recirculating oil fumes travel into, if that is compromised oil fumes and oil (with no catch can) will go right down in main intake and into cylinders burning the oil
    STEVE

BRIGHT WHITE R/T, HEMIFEVER TUNING, CORSA EXHAUST, FMTB, AFE CAI
    BT GOODIES, 22" SRT8 REPS, RK SPORTS HOOD,KATZKIN INTERIOR

"Dodgedurango.net welcomes all members with open arms, regardless of social status, creed, color, vehicle color, vehicle model or how it is modded. The only thing we discriminate against is DISRESPECT... We're not friends we are FAMILY"
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/6411..._comment_reply

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango RT
    Add to that you would think that it would cause a lean condition... Unless it's before the pcv valve (valve is located on/in the intake manifold)

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango RT
    Edit:

The more I think about it I guess the leak is either before or after the pcv valve into the crank case...

Man I hope this is the fix...

Edit:

Looks like there is a hose coming off the valve ( thought it might be integral) means the leak has to be before the valve
    Last edited by goodB0Y; 11-13-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Vehicle
    1998 D, base SLT, '14 R/T Black Crystal
    I have issue with this DX. If there's any intake leak at all, PCV or otherwise, there will be fuel trim compensation. This SHOULD cause a MIL.
    '14 Durango R/T, Black Crystal. Midnight
    '98 Durango 5.2, Chilipepper red. Big Red
    '04 Cummins Ram 3500 6 speed (TDR member) The Blue Buggy
    '71 340 Duster bracket car, under transformation back to street duty- The car I drove to high school.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango RT
    What do you mean by a mill ?

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    MIL= Malfunction Indicator Lamp (check engine light), I completely disagree with Wayne in his assumption that the car would throw a check engine light in this situation, i see leaking intake manifolds all the time with no check engine light at all, the fact is the computer can compensate and has a threshold to where its going to trigger the lamp and set a code. a small leak may only require the fuel adaptations to need to be slightly adjusted to compensate to the point where that threshold has not been exceeded. I think this diagnosis is 100% plausible as a cause of oil consumption and not triggering the check engine light as the condition is most prevalent at startup where the vehicle is in a rich running condition and is in open loop not actively monitoring fuel trim information via the O2 sensors. I could go on and on about this.... But i say this is a valid attempt the dealer is making to address your situation. Oil consumption issues are not clear cut easy to fix issues and be glad they came up with something that at least makes sense to try and remedy your issue.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango RT
    I agree with you ... If the leak was small enough there is a very good chance it wouldn't set the check engine light... And I am very pleased that we have something to try...

If the passage is of any length longer than a couple of inches then there is also a good chance it will collect oil... Putting that oil directly into the manifold

Member #
    Liked
    1046 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    it doesn't take much of a leak to get a puddle of oil in the intake manifold..

I suspect an air leak into the intake manifold won't cause a fuel trim MIL under most conditions.. it would be more likely to trip an idle control MIL.

Good info about the passage leak, though.. that is a diagnosis we have not seen, and might explain why the TSB doesn't cure all instances of blue smoke..

...tom
    What?
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Member #
    Liked
    113 times
    Vehicle
    14' R/T
    Mods
    InTune, AFE, Corsa.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3 View Post
    The passage is supposed to be a specific path the recirculating oil fumes travel into, if that is compromised oil fumes and oil (with no catch can) will go right down in main intake and into cylinders burning the oil
    STEVE
    So if I have a catch can and still see oil on cold start on level ground what should I do? I didn't see the blue smoke until I put the Corsa on which I know didnt affect it but makes it visible due to the more free flow. I have 5k miles and want to go for my first oil change soon. My catch can has been 50% full the past 1k miles and I just emptied it so I know the drainage is working from the way I routed the lines to and from the BT can. No puddling effect going on there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links