Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Moisture inside the headlights

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango R/T

Moisture inside the headlights

I'm not sure if this is normal or if it is a result water condensation on a hot area. I first noticed it after driving home and having a rainstorm hit. As I got out I noticed the cloudiness of moisture. The second time was yesterday. i drove home had dinner then went outside to wash the lovebugs off my car. Bam! More moisture. Both times the lights were warm from use and both times they got fogged up. Later it was gone. I guess it could be normal condensation like on a cold glass on a hot day but shouldn't a headlight be a sealed unit that has no moisture inside? Anyone else having this issue?
    2014 Durango R/T
    Premium Nappa leather group | Captain's Chairs w/second row console | Uconnect 8.4 AN | Trailer Tow Group

Member #
    Liked
    326 times
    I have had that too a few times.it clears itself up and I can't see any actual drops of water ,only a fog. Mine did it when it was being washed.it hasn't happened for a while.I mentioned it to Dodge and they didn't seem concerned. I keep an eye on it. It might be our HIGH HUMIDITY locations where we are at.

Member #
    Liked
    848 times
    Vehicle
    2014 R/T & 2015 Citadel
    Mods
    Enough to cause a divorce
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobstah Slayah View Post
    I'm not sure if this is normal or if it is a result water condensation on a hot area. I first noticed it after driving home and having a rainstorm hit. As I got out I noticed the cloudiness of moisture. The second time was yesterday. i drove home had dinner then went outside to wash the lovebugs off my car. Bam! More moisture. Both times the lights were warm from use and both times they got fogged up. Later it was gone. I guess it could be normal condensation like on a cold glass on a hot day but shouldn't a headlight be a sealed unit that has no moisture inside? Anyone else having this issue?
    Had the same issue with mine when I 1st got it, but it went away after time. Dealer said it primarily had to do with the amt of heat that the HIDs produced - it happens on a lot of their cars apparently (300Cs particularly) if you do some google searches on it.
    2014 Durango R/T
    K&N CAI I 22" Viper Reps I MGP Caliper Covers I Corsa Exhaust I Diablotoona Tune I Modern Muscle TB I 180 TStat
    BT Catch Can I Lots of Billet Goodies I Tinted Tailights I Mopar Hitch I Mopar Stainless Pedals & Sill Guards I Triton LEDs I DDM 3000K HID Fogs I Husky Splash Guards

Check out my noob's guide to gen 3 modding: http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/d...3-durango.html

dodgedurango.net - Often Imitated, Never Duplicated

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    861 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Dodge Durango R/T Red
    I had this in a few different vehicles that had this and the assemblies were replaced under warranty, I can't stand when there is moisture in the light assembly.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango R/T
    Mods
    K&N Intake, Tint, HID Fogs, R/T Fender Hash, De-badged, 22" XO Monaco's, CF Caliper Covers
    I also have encountered this, but on the driver's side only. 3k miles so far, so I will definitely bring it to the dealer for a look. I am concerned that it will eventually have water sitting in the bottom of the unit.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Sounds like the factory seal between clear plastic and the rear housing is not good...
    1999 Durango 360 FM 50mm, PS Headers, K&N FIPK, Rancho RSX's, SuperChips 3865, T/S lift, Hughes plenum/rebuild
    2012 Challenger SXT 3.6l, 267HP, 254 torque, Diablo Intune, FM 74/80mm_GONE
    2015 Dart Aero turbo1.4t, GFB DV+ BOV
    2004 RAM HEMI QC LB 7" lifted 2WD Rancho9000x, FM 84mm, SC 3815, factory freak
    2005 Magnum R/T 2WD "police package"

Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Vehicle
    '99 Durango, '69 Satellite , '14 Charger R/T
    Mods
    Too much to fit in this box
    Let it dry out and check the seals on the caps or whatever on the lights. If it keeps getting moisture inside have the dealer replace it. Moisture can degrade the reflective surface in the projectors and it isn't exactly good for bulbs either.
    -Matt

Intense Blue '99 Durango SLT 5.2L V8 FT4X4
    Ivy Green '69 Plymouth Satellite 318
    Pitch Black '14 Charger R/T Awd
    Picture/Mod Conglomeration Thread
    Why not to put pnp HIDs in halogen reflectors

Member #
    Liked
    848 times
    Vehicle
    2014 R/T & 2015 Citadel
    Mods
    Enough to cause a divorce
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyD View Post
    Sounds like the factory seal between clear plastic and the rear housing is not good...
    Curious about this - the Service guy mentioned that the lenses vented to let heat out - don't know if that is only on those with HIDs or all 2014 Ds. Then again, he could have just been feeding me a heaping pile of horsesh*t
    2014 Durango R/T
    K&N CAI I 22" Viper Reps I MGP Caliper Covers I Corsa Exhaust I Diablotoona Tune I Modern Muscle TB I 180 TStat
    BT Catch Can I Lots of Billet Goodies I Tinted Tailights I Mopar Hitch I Mopar Stainless Pedals & Sill Guards I Triton LEDs I DDM 3000K HID Fogs I Husky Splash Guards

Check out my noob's guide to gen 3 modding: http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/d...3-durango.html

dodgedurango.net - Often Imitated, Never Duplicated

Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Vehicle
    '99 Durango, '69 Satellite , '14 Charger R/T
    Mods
    Too much to fit in this box
    There usually are some sorts of vents in headlights, but they're meant to keep moisture out. The problem with projectors is that the heat is concentrated in one place, which creates differential temperatures in the light, which can create condensation.
    -Matt

Intense Blue '99 Durango SLT 5.2L V8 FT4X4
    Ivy Green '69 Plymouth Satellite 318
    Pitch Black '14 Charger R/T Awd
    Picture/Mod Conglomeration Thread
    Why not to put pnp HIDs in halogen reflectors

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Grand Cherokee Summitt
    Mods
    Front tint, catch can, whipple supercharger ordered
    just returned from the dealer today - had the tranny TSB done. They washed my car, then I noticed the fog/moisture - not a happy camper. I turned about and approached my dealership contact. He pulled up a tsb online stating that dodge recognizes the problem. They will only do repair work on it, if it's actually beeding up with water droplets - IE not just fog alone. They also state that if the fog disappears after 20mins, then it's OK, no need to do anything. They also referenced their is venting to let heat out. Not sure myself. ALso, not very happy about condensation building up in there. I suppose I will watch it too - however there is a TSB on it and consumers have 'bitched' about it.....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links