Dodge Durango Forum banner

Towing with New Durango

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  FINELINETOYS 
#1 ·
Guys, I have ordered a 2014 Red Durango R/T, it just so happens that I am moving the week that the Durango is arriving and I am thinking about using it to tow a moving trailer, the total weight of the trailer will be around 3000 - 4000LBS. Is this ok to do with a Durango with less than 500 miles on it?

Thanks for the advice. Paul.

#2 ·
Here is a thread I started about my experience with towing right after delivery.

And this is where I put my brake controller.

The owner's manual recommends the following:

Towing Requirements
To promote proper break-in of your new vehicle drivetrain components, the following guidelines are recommended.
CAUTION!
• Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
• Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

Maybe you can bo back and forth to the store....in the next town....alot. Modern engines should be ready to rock right away and I didn't lose any oil over the break-in period, despite the owner's manual saying it may happen anyway. If you can't get 500 miles, I'd say get as many as possible.

The search function may bring up a few other threads as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.