Anyone purchase Maximum Care (MOPAR Vehicle Protection) for new vehicles? - Page 26
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Anyone purchase Maximum Care (MOPAR Vehicle Protection) for new vehicles?

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKY R/T View Post
    I am in the business and have been for 15 years so I am well up to date on this industry.

Second off a quick search of the internet will also show how dissatisfied consumers are of both non manufactured backed and manufactured back extended service contracts. Research also shows that FCA USA LLC, Chrysler group service contracts LLC has over 778 complaints just with the BBB and many more hundreds through various other sources. GMPP which is GM's extended warranty was sold to ALLY after the bailout and currently is sitting at 1397 complaints with again many more hundreds through other resources. So it is not all peaches and cream with manufactured back as well.

Your 11 year old article, while having valid information, seems to imply all 3rd parties are bad and go bankrupt. Reputable companies are going to be reinsured for this reason and no they are not all bad which is why the companies I represent have been around for almost 30 years.

Lastly, I have worked at a Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep dealer for 7 years before I got into the business I am in now and personally have never and probably will never buy an extended warranty/service contract on a vehicle...unless it is a German company such as BMW or Mercedes however I would never own one of those vehicles either.

I am not arguing with you fltru103 because a manufacturer backed policy is a great policy and is a great choice, the problem I have with them is they, meaning the selling party, usually rape people on costs and therefore becomes not worth the cost...in my opinion.

To each their own and I know some will disagree with my perception or may want to comment back but this is my feeling for any who wants an "opinion" on this subject. These policies are negotiable and unless the vehicle is a real known problem child, you should be in teens $1100-$1999 for costs. Also, if your vehicle is new do not waste your money buying it now you CAN buy it later. If someone selling a policy says other wise it is a lie.

Have a great day all!
    Agree with all this. I feel like I'm seeing some misinformation being perpetuated by the belief that OEM is best. I have a friend who's been educating me in-depth on this, and talked me out of buying the extended warranty offered with my recent purchase. Not to mention the fact that my dealer never offered me MaxCare in the 1st place and were pitching a 3rd party warranty. This dealership even offers a 'Free Powertrain Warranty for Life" on every new vehicle they sell.

It is true that OEMs are generally more protected from losses on many levels, whereas independent administrators can be tricky – some truly are solid, and some maybe not as much, but the industry is highly regulated today, unlike a few years ago.

The real issue for consumers in the independent market is the dealerships as much as the Administrators. Most service contracts/extended warranties sold by franchise dealerships are solidly insured from loss whether they’re OEM or not (reference solid aftermarket companies like AFAS and Gulf States Financial Services widely used by dealerships here in the Houston area).

The aftermarket warranty industry generally has a bad rap because of a few companies (namely US Fidelis) that completely trashed their customer’s trust and ran off with millions back a few years ago. Since that time, most states have severely cracked down on regulation, making that type of fraudulent behavior illegal and costly to the perpetrators. So, you might easily draw the conclusion that you’re better off with an OEM warranty program.
    Here’s the rub though – you pay for that whether you realize it or not. First, the dealership always marks up the warranty (not by a little amount, typically more than double its actual cost to them). The cost they pay is also already packed with a commission paid to a sales agent who maintains the relationship between the administrator and the dealership (average of $200 regardless of OEM or not). Dealers are going to sell you what makes them more money…period…not what protects you the most. That’s not picking on them, but they don’t operate as a charity.
    ROCKY R/T likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango Limited Rallye
    In response to ROCKY R/T and 17blcktp.
    The one thing you failed to mention about those third party contract companies ( they are contracts, not warranty's ) is the fact that while some have gone bankrupt, not a single major manufacturer backed contract company has left any customer holding the bag.
    Tens of thousands of people paid for contracts that are worthless pieces of paper.
    Are there good ones ? I am sure, but to me, it's not worth the chance.
    Besides the fact, with a manufacturer backed contract, you can visit any branded dealer for those repairs and they will accept the contract. Not so with a third party contract. You may need to pay out of pocket first before any reimbursement. What good is a service contract sold in an east coast state when your traveling on the west coast and you need a transmission replaced ? ( I know, they have special arrangements with major transmission companies all over the country ) Then change that to a TCM/PCM module that only a dealer has. Your still paying out of pocket and waiting for a possible reimbursement.

Lastly, everybody is entitled to make a profit. Not disputing that.
    If you shop wisely, the price you pay for a Mopar contract is comparable to any of those dealer offered contracts.
    I have 3 FCA / Chrysler products, all with Mopar contracts purchased from other then the selling dealer.
    They were all cheaper then the contracts I was offered by the selling dealers too.

My time spent in the dealer business was not in sales, but service. I knew all to well the problems associated with those ABC service contracts.
    I'll stick with ( in my case ) a Mopar contract.
    Pappy35 and Don Fox like this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have a life time warranty with $100 deductible for my '14 DD SXT AWD and just learned a harsh lesson. I have the bad rear shocks/mounts and stealership is stating since they don't have parts in stock, I'll have to pay the $100 deductible twice, once for the first "visit" and another for when I take it back when the mounts and shocks get in. The contract states per "repair visit" and I've made 2 calls up the chain at the warranty help number without any help. They are all standing firm on the contract word "visit". Good luck if they don't have the parts in stock and hopefully they fix it right on the first try. Time to find a new dealership.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    158 times
    Vehicle
    2016 R/T | RWD
    I don't think that's right, at least for the non-lifetime. My brother bought a 3 year on the 2012 Crew he bought from me, and paid the deducible once for an issue that ended up requiring 3 visits to two different dealers. He had the Mopar max care warranty, just not the lifetime one.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    My warranty is the Lifetime Mopar Max Care with the $100 deductible that I paid $2115 over 2 years ago. I also know I could insist on a rental ($35/day with 5 day max) that is covered in my warranty... Bottom line is I think it all comes down to how helpful (or not) the dealership wants to be. Next time I'll drive the 30 to 50 miles to other dealerships to see how helpful they are. Or I'll send in my wife to try to sweet talk 'em! Just a warning about the word "visit" on page 2 of the contract.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by previousamigo View Post
    I have a life time warranty with $100 deductible for my '14 DD SXT AWD and just learned a harsh lesson. I have the bad rear shocks/mounts and stealership is stating since they don't have parts in stock, I'll have to pay the $100 deductible twice, once for the first "visit" and another for when I take it back when the mounts and shocks get in. The contract states per "repair visit" and I've made 2 calls up the chain at the warranty help number without any help. They are all standing firm on the contract word "visit". Good luck if they don't have the parts in stock and hopefully they fix it right on the first try. Time to find a new dealership.
    Yes, time to find a new dealership. That's a pretty BS response from them, and are just trying to milk you for an extra $100 for them not having the part to correctly fix your car. Plus, I bet once they did fix it, they would only submit one claim with the warranty company, and would pocket your extra $100.

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    PA:
    Add me to the list of folks calling BS on your dealer's nonsense. Given the $100 deductible per "repair visit", ask them what exactly was repaired that you should pay the $100 for? If you pay it when they order the parts, you damn sure should not have to pay it again on a second visit unless they are also addressing a different issue.
    I would lay dimes to dollars they are doing this to try to make up for the known fact that warranty labor is not paid by FCA to them at the same amount they would charge the customer if the warranty was not involved.
    I also had a dealer try to tell me that diagnostic time was not covered on the Mopar warranty, which is also a load of buffalo bagels!!!!!!!!!

While I am at it, I also went with Clay to get the Lifetime Maximum Care for my '14 Charger Hemi AWD. Per the usual, he had the best price.
    I plan on keeping it a long time, at least 10 years. I figured that $250 a year for piece of mind was a steal! The rental car, trip interruption, keyfob repair/replacement is all icing on the cake. That part of it goes away at 7 years or 100K, but the other coverage will be around a good, long time.

Don
    Last edited by Don Fox; 02-22-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    2004 Durango SLT Hemi AWD "The Flame Red Rocket." ( 3/26/10 Cleveland, OH.)
    2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD (10/27/16 Dundee, MI.)
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers) (8/21/14 Chattanooga, TN.)

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Vehicle
    2013 Durango Crew Hemi

This is definitely not right. I had an issue with my ac and leaking refrigerant on my 2013 durango and it required 3 visits to finally solve the problem (leak in lines going to rear ac) but I was only charged the $100 deductible on the first visit. And was given a rental each time for a total of 9 days (including a holiday weekend which was a delay). I had the lifetime Maxcare plan and I have it again now on my 2015 durango

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango Limited Rallye
    Perhaps they should "stand" on the words repair. I understand the wording, but if your vehicle isn't repaired, then why charge a fee to order parts ? What happens if the wrong parts, or a defective part arrives at the dealer ?
    I think a talk with someone higher up the ladder may help.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Vehicle
    2015 DD SXT, Bright White
    Mods
    Steelcraft 121120 Running Boards
    Man -

That just sounds like so much dealer BS. I am continually amazed reading all the dealer statements and comments on this forum. The dealerships MUST think we're as stupid as they are! Or at least as gullible. I would like to think most of our members are probably a little bit sharper than the average walk-through-the-door customer. If we didn't like our DDs as much as we do, or care how to get answers to questions, we wouldn't be on this forum in the first place.

Do NOT accept that steaming load of crap from the dealer. You should pay ONCE for the REPAIR, not the DIAGNOSIS.

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Sponsored Links