Anyone purchase Maximum Care (MOPAR Vehicle Protection) for new vehicles? - Page 25
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Anyone purchase Maximum Care (MOPAR Vehicle Protection) for new vehicles?

Durango Guru
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    From my view on my 2014.
    Factory warranty covers everything for 3 yrs/36K miles.
    Then the Powertrain warranty kicks in which covers the engine, transmission and rear end..all high cost items for another 2 yrs or until 100K miles.
    Also for 8 yrs or 80K miles the Powertrain Control Module and Catalytic converter is covered.

So I do see the benefit if of a low cost warranty extension that is transferable for those thinking they will sell by or before 100K.
    Otherwise the lifetime coverage is the only one making sense IMO and with that you have to know you're keeping the vehicle 10+ years for any payback chance.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fltru103 View Post
    The 8 year has several mileage options. Which did you get ?
    I just checked my other car, those mileage limits start at 60K, then on to 75K, 85K, 100K, 125K.
    For mine, it's only 8 Year 60k miles. I never exceed 5,000/year average in mileage on any one car. Shorter commutes, etc.
    fltru103 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Vehicle
    '17 Durango Citadel
    2017 powertrains are only covered for 5yr/60k. They dropped it down.
    '17 Durango Citadel, White, Tech, and Tow

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango Limited Rallye
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy35 View Post
    2017 powertrains are only covered for 5yr/60k. They dropped it down.
    Good reason to get a service contract that would take coverage to 8 years and 125K miles. Unless you trade up often !

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Vehicle
    '17 Durango Citadel
    I know. Already talked to Clay about it. I was pointing out that the powertrain warrantee changed down from 5yr/100k.
    '17 Durango Citadel, White, Tech, and Tow

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango Limited AWD Billet Silver Sunroof Nav Power Liftgate
    Quote Originally Posted by tomk View Post
    Agree with all.

Only thing I'd add is that sometimes your local dealer will meet Clay's price on a mopar plan.. that's what mine did.

at least some realize a little profit is better than no profit..
    Probably. I bought mine from Clay. He was nice and helpful and efficient. Going to my dealer would have been none of those things. I can't say that my dealer wouldn't have met the price but it would have meant me sitting there while they talked to managers and tried to sell me on whatever else they're trying to push. I never walk out of a dealership feeling good about a purchase, even when I know I got a good deal. I'd probably feel just as bad if I walked into Zeller Motors. But handing everything by phone and email with no haggling just makes the whole thing more pleasant.
    Eric_USCG likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    17 Citadel AWD V8
    Mods
    Husky floor liners & Aries cargo liner. Front window tint. Dash cam.
    It took the dealership two months after I sent them the cancellation notice, but I have finally received a full refund of the third-party warranty they had sold me when I bought my car. I plan to reach out to Clay again and get the MaxCare, probably for 7 years. We don't typically keep a car for longer than that.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango R/T
    Mods
    Deleted Muffler Replace with Straight Pipes still has back 2 resonators with factory tips
    Every warranty is underwritten through a third party if you read the fine print. Also, you have a 3 year 36k policy on it now you are wasting your money to buy it now. You can buy it later and no it will not be more money....that is a sales tactic.

Also do you know if you lets say have the vehicle totaled in 2 1/2 years you will lose that money paid in and only get a prorated refund back even though it is still under the factory warranty? Wait until the 3 years is up and you can get a warranty from a reputable source for $1500 on up depending on miles and years of coverage.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango Limited Rallye
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKY R/T View Post
    Every warranty is underwritten through a third party if you read the fine print. Also, you have a 3 year 36k policy on it now you are wasting your money to buy it now. You can buy it later and no it will not be more money....that is a sales tactic.
    While that statement is true, wouldn't you rather have a service contact written, and backed by the manufacturer's own company ? The fine print on a Mopar contract states "Mopar vehicle protection department", FCA USA LLC, Chrysler group service contracts LLC.
    Other third party contracts are usually based on an insurance policy, underwritten by another company that may ... or may not be in business a few years down the road. It's happened all to frequently.

Also do you know if you lets say have the vehicle totaled in 2 1/2 years you will lose that money paid in and only get a prorated refund back even though it is still under the factory warranty? Wait until the 3 years is up and you can get a warranty from a reputable source for $1500 on up depending on miles and years of coverage.
    Contracts vary on pricing with the mileage/time of ownership. If you cancel, due to total loss for example, and the vehicle is still under the basic warranty, your prorated refund from Mopar will be for time and mileage used.
    A quick search on the internet will provide many stories related to third party service contracts that are scams, and other companies that have went bankrupt leaving the consumer holding the bag.
    In my opinion, it's best to buy the manufacturer backed service contracts.
    Here's a good story about the service contract warranty bankruptcies. Extended Warranty Bankruptcies, 7 February 2006

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango R/T
    Mods
    Deleted Muffler Replace with Straight Pipes still has back 2 resonators with factory tips
    I am in the business and have been for 15 years so I am well up to date on this industry.

Second off a quick search of the internet will also show how dissatisfied consumers are of both non manufactured backed and manufactured back extended service contracts. Research also shows that FCA USA LLC, Chrysler group service contracts LLC has over 778 complaints just with the BBB and many more hundreds through various other sources. GMPP which is GM's extended warranty was sold to ALLY after the bailout and currently is sitting at 1397 complaints with again many more hundreds through other resources. So it is not all peaches and cream with manufactured back as well.

Your 11 year old article, while having valid information, seems to imply all 3rd parties are bad and go bankrupt. Reputable companies are going to be reinsured for this reason and no they are not all bad which is why the companies I represent have been around for almost 30 years.

Lastly, I have worked at a Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep dealer for 7 years before I got into the business I am in now and personally have never and probably will never buy an extended warranty/service contract on a vehicle...unless it is a German company such as BMW or Mercedes however I would never own one of those vehicles either.

I am not arguing with you fltru103 because a manufacturer backed policy is a great policy and is a great choice, the problem I have with them is they, meaning the selling party, usually rape people on costs and therefore becomes not worth the cost...in my opinion.

To each their own and I know some will disagree with my perception or may want to comment back but this is my feeling for any who wants an "opinion" on this subject. These policies are negotiable and unless the vehicle is a real known problem child, you should be in teens $1100-$1999 for costs. Also, if your vehicle is new do not waste your money buying it now you CAN buy it later. If someone selling a policy says other wise it is a lie.

Have a great day all!

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Sponsored Links