Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Front turn signal LED conversion

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    I put these in and hyper flashes for a few minutes then stopped and work fine so far.

2Pcs Aaron Amber 3157 3156 3057 60W Epistar LED Bulbs for Blinker Turn Signals DRL Day Time Running Lights https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L6SDPK2..._t25TxbD0AG28Q

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD

Thumbs up

For anyone with a 2014 Durango Limited (not an SXT!), I can confirm that the JDM AStar 3157s (item #JDM ASTAR-3157-5730-21Y) found on Amazon do in fact work right out of the package with no resistors necessary. My Durango has the LED DRL strips under the headlights, along with the LED supplementary signals in the mirrors (I'm assuming all Durangos with the "racetrack" tails have LED in the rear). I was a BIT skeptical, as earlier references to these bulbs seemed to be from guys who have SXT trim and I don't believe that trim has the LED DRLs or supplementary mirror signals. Other comments/recommendations were from owners of 2013. Furthermore, the product description on the Amazon page DOES state: "Note you might need to add 50W 6-Ohm load resistors or change flasher rely to prevent the LED bulbs from hyper flashing". Given that the two locally purchased options I tried (see below) needed resistors to work right, I wasn't overly confident.

Since I'm impatient, and because I could get them right away, I tried the Pilot 3157A bulbs that claimed to be CANBUS-Ready from Wally World, and they worked as HAZARDS (although I don't think they were much brighter than the incandescent bulbs), but not as turn signals- I got the 'bulb out' error on the dash and the dash indicators and mirror lights hyper-flashed. I got the SAME result using the Sylvania ZEVO Super Bright 3157A LED bulbs from AutoZone: hazards flashed normally, but using the actual TURN SIGNAL caused the hyper-flashing indicators/mirrors and a "bulb out" error. I did NOT try the Sylvania LED 3157A bulbs that were also available at AutoZone.

Again, I tried those two bulbs only because they were locally available and I could try them right away. Once I found they would require resisitors I returned them both and ordered the JDM AStars (ordered on Friday 9/30, they were delivered today 10/2, a Sunday. Thanks Amazon Prime!). I was a bit skeptical if these would work right out of the box on my Limited, but I quickly installed the passenger bulb (since that one takes all of 30 seconds to swap), and first off, I was thrilled when I oriented it correctly the first time (quick test: hit your remote unlock button, and the signals flash- if your LED bulb doesn't light up, turn it around and re-seat it). The initial act was to activate the hazards which of course worked fine (supplementary signals do NOT light up with the hazards), then I turned the Durango on and activated the turn signal. I expected a few flashes then the error, but no error was noted! So I swapped in the driver side bulb (that side is NOT just a 30 second swap...I want to throat punch the engineer who arranged that! Although even with moving the airbox around, it's only a couple minute job, but it's a tight squeeze on the forearm), and then took a short drive to get some coffee, and no errors popped up even with all the left and right turns I need to make to get around the maze of one-way streets near my house.

I hope this might help someone who's running a Durango that DOES have the LED DRLs/Supplementary mirror signals to know that these JDM AStars DO work, and are pretty darn bright as well. For my money, they should do the job pretty well. I obviously can't yet speak to the durability...that remains to be seen, but you can get four sets of these bulbs shipped to you for less than one pair of the Amber-only Triton V3s ($110/pr). The JDM AStars may not be as bright as the Tritons, but they ARE brighter than stock to my eye. I don't have pics/vids, but perhaps if requested, I can do so.
    davewg, caskey_b, Tweak and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    458 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Crew / 2014 Limited
    Mods
    HIDs, Mopar Hitch/wiring, Mopar splash guards, Heated leather conversion in 2011 Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by vhmike73 View Post
    For anyone with a 2014 Durango Limited (not an SXT!), I can confirm that the JDM AStar 3157s (item #JDM ASTAR-3157-5730-21Y) found on Amazon do in fact work right out of the package with no resistors necessary. My Durango has the LED DRL strips under the headlights, along with the LED supplementary signals in the mirrors (I'm assuming all Durangos with the "racetrack" tails have LED in the rear). I was a BIT skeptical, as earlier references to these bulbs seemed to be from guys who have SXT trim and I don't believe that trim has the LED DRLs or supplementary mirror signals. Other comments/recommendations were from owners of 2013. Furthermore, the product description on the Amazon page DOES state: "Note you might need to add 50W 6-Ohm load resistors or change flasher rely to prevent the LED bulbs from hyper flashing". Given that the two locally purchased options I tried (see below) needed resistors to work right, I wasn't overly confident.

Since I'm impatient, and because I could get them right away, I tried the Pilot 3157A bulbs that claimed to be CANBUS-Ready from Wally World, and they worked as HAZARDS (although I don't think they were much brighter than the incandescent bulbs), but not as turn signals- I got the 'bulb out' error on the dash and the dash indicators and mirror lights hyper-flashed. I got the SAME result using the Sylvania ZEVO Super Bright 3157A LED bulbs from AutoZone: hazards flashed normally, but using the actual TURN SIGNAL caused the hyper-flashing indicators/mirrors and a "bulb out" error. I did NOT try the Sylvania LED 3157A bulbs that were also available at AutoZone.

Again, I tried those two bulbs only because they were locally available and I could try them right away. Once I found they would require resisitors I returned them both and ordered the JDM AStars (ordered on Friday 9/30, they were delivered today 10/2, a Sunday. Thanks Amazon Prime!). I was a bit skeptical if these would work right out of the box on my Limited, but I quickly installed the passenger bulb (since that one takes all of 30 seconds to swap), and first off, I was thrilled when I oriented it correctly the first time (quick test: hit your remote unlock button, and the signals flash- if your LED bulb doesn't light up, turn it around and re-seat it). The initial act was to activate the hazards which of course worked fine (supplementary signals do NOT light up with the hazards), then I turned the Durango on and activated the turn signal. I expected a few flashes then the error, but no error was noted! So I swapped in the driver side bulb (that side is NOT just a 30 second swap...I want to throat punch the engineer who arranged that! Although even with moving the airbox around, it's only a couple minute job, but it's a tight squeeze on the forearm), and then took a short drive to get some coffee, and no errors popped up even with all the left and right turns I need to make to get around the maze of one-way streets near my house.

I hope this might help someone who's running a Durango that DOES have the LED DRLs/Supplementary mirror signals to know that these JDM AStars DO work, and are pretty darn bright as well. For my money, they should do the job pretty well. I obviously can't yet speak to the durability...that remains to be seen, but you can get four sets of these bulbs shipped to you for less than one pair of the Amber-only Triton V3s ($110/pr). The JDM AStars may not be as bright as the Tritons, but they ARE brighter than stock to my eye. I don't have pics/vids, but perhaps if requested, I can do so.
    might have to try them if they truly are plug and play... was considering the Sylvania Zevo 3157 Amber and adding resistors.. but I'd be about $30 going that route while having to tap in the resistors... but for $25, and no wiring, gunna have to try these.. thanks for the detailed post on them... as I will be putting them in a 2014 Limited as well!
    -Brian
    '11 Crew AWD 3.6L
    Spectre intake
    OPT7 HIDs
    OPT7 CREE V2 fogs (wired as DRL)
    Mopar steps
    Mopar hitch/wiring
    Mopar mud guards
    WeatherTech mats
    Mopar door sill guards
    OPT7 FluxBeam DRLs
    Cloth to Leather Conversion
    '14 Limited 2WD 3.6L
    AFE Intake
    Opt7 LEDs
    Opt7 HID 3000k fogs
    Go Rhino steps
    Clean Cut Decals door sill guards
    Mopar hitch/wiring
    Mopar mud guards
    Husky mats
    Luverne 3" bull bar
    255/75R17 Wranglers
    Vvivid vinyl interior trim
    Custom license plate LED mod

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    These JDM Astar LED bulbs linked above are amber only, correct?
    2015 SXT Plus, Billet silver

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Vehicle
    15DDRT
    Mods
    2.9 Whipple SC | ARH 1 & 7/8 Headers & Pipes (no cats) | Alchy 100% Meth Kit
    Quote Originally Posted by SDelaney76 View Post
    I put these in and hyper flashes for a few minutes then stopped and work fine so far.

2Pcs Aaron Amber 3157 3156 3057 60W Epistar LED Bulbs for Blinker Turn Signals DRL Day Time Running Lights https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L6SDPK2..._t25TxbD0AG28Q

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    I used these on my 15 and had no issues.

DD15-R/T-RWD

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Vehicle
    2015 RT
    Mods
    Bilstein 5100's, TJ coil spacers, JDM astar bulbs
    I have used these in my 15 RT for the last 8-9 months without any issues.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Vehicle
    2015 RT
    Mods
    Bilstein 5100's, TJ coil spacers, JDM astar bulbs
    I meant the JDM AStars. Sorry.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Save a few bucks and grab these, no hyper flash on my '16 RT. Just as bright if not brighter than stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Member #
    Liked
    458 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Crew / 2014 Limited
    Mods
    HIDs, Mopar Hitch/wiring, Mopar splash guards, Heated leather conversion in 2011 Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by rayjj View Post
    Save a few bucks and grab these, no hyper flash on my '16 RT. Just as bright if not brighter than stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Plug and play? No light out warning OR hyperflash?
    -Brian
    '11 Crew AWD 3.6L
    Spectre intake
    OPT7 HIDs
    OPT7 CREE V2 fogs (wired as DRL)
    Mopar steps
    Mopar hitch/wiring
    Mopar mud guards
    WeatherTech mats
    Mopar door sill guards
    OPT7 FluxBeam DRLs
    Cloth to Leather Conversion
    '14 Limited 2WD 3.6L
    AFE Intake
    Opt7 LEDs
    Opt7 HID 3000k fogs
    Go Rhino steps
    Clean Cut Decals door sill guards
    Mopar hitch/wiring
    Mopar mud guards
    Husky mats
    Luverne 3" bull bar
    255/75R17 Wranglers
    Vvivid vinyl interior trim
    Custom license plate LED mod

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by caskey_b View Post
    Plug and play? No light out warning OR hyperflash?
    Yup!!

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links