Alternator issue or something more? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Alternator issue or something more?

Member #
    Liked
    897 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    looks like an engine RFI ground
    What?
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My wife got home tonight and asked me to come outside. Car was running ok, but battery light was on. She said it made a horrible noise when she left(I wasn't home), but quit making it soon after she got out of our subdivision. Anyways, after finding my meter, I was able to read 11.5 V with the engine running at the posts under the hood, and with the engine off, 12.5V at the battery. I need to go check what the voltage is at the posts under the hood with it off too. UPDATED - 12.5V at the Posts. I'm assuming that means the alternator is toast. Have the 220A one. I was considering ordering the Remy from RockAuto. It is $267 with a $50 core, so final price will be around $220. Much less expensive than any local shop.

The really worrying thing is that is smells like magic smoke in the car, but the battery isn't hot. Anyone else notice that when the alternator went bad?

I just changed the alternator on my 2006 LR3 over the weekend, and it was a bear, with removing armor, the viscous coupling fan, pulley and bearing, fan belt and main drive belt. The Durango looks dead simple by comparison.
    Last edited by johnsoax; 01-11-2017 at 07:33 PM. Reason: More info

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ordered the Remy from RockAuto, even with $55 for "next day express shipping" it is cheaper than anyone else has it for by far. Supposed to have it Friday.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Hope it works out.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I didn't smell anything in the cabin while I had it running but the battery was killed had that tested today as well. It was dead and wouldn't take a charge.

My alternator will be in tomorrow morning, ended up going with one from Dodge as it's rebuild by the manufacturer and has a 2 year warranty, it was comparably priced to the ones rebuilt by a 3rd party. The guy that tested the alternator showed me all the burnt diodes and other damage from it overheating and it got really hot while they had it on the tester for a couple of minutes.

Curious to see if my PCM was damaged or the root cause of the issue, seems the PCM controls the voltage regulator in these cars.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    New alternator and battery are in, started up ok and got no warning lights. Stuck my multi-meter on the battery and it ready 12.53 (engine off) and check what was coming off the alternator and it was 14.7. Not sure what they consider too high for voltage but 14.7 seems ok to me.

I assume the only way to get the voltage regulator checked out would be to get a diagnostic run on the PCM at Dodge? I might do that just for peace of mind I don't want to destroy another alternator and battery.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnNick View Post
    New alternator and battery are in, started up ok and got no warning lights. Stuck my multi-meter on the battery and it ready 12.53 (engine off) and check what was coming off the alternator and it was 14.7. Not sure what they consider too high for voltage but 14.7 seems ok to me.

I assume the only way to get the voltage regulator checked out would be to get a diagnostic run on the PCM at Dodge? I might do that just for peace of mind I don't want to destroy another alternator and battery.
    14.7 is fine. Most automotive 12v systems have 12v batteries charged to 14.5v or as high as 18v. 28v systems usually consist of two 12v batteries charged to 14v and connected in series.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Double Post
    Last edited by johnsoax; 01-13-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Double post

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Pulled the Durango into the garage this morning due to weather coming, so I can replace the alternator in a heated dry area....

Smoke poured out of the existing alternator.... Hoping the battery didn't get cooked.

On the plus side, the Durango takes the exact same battery as my Rover, and on the minus side, the Durango takes the same $200 battery as my Rover.

I also noticed that the ground cable that Nick found broken is also broken on my Durango... Will have to find one of those too.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    $220 for the battery I picked up, Dodge wanted $351 for theirs.

I didn't have any smoke but the alternator repair shop showed me all the things that were burnt on the inside. Took about 45 minutes to install everything last night so not bad for my first time doing this.
    johnsoax likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links