Dodge Durango Forum banner

New to me '04 Durango. Questions on towing etc?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  FSTDANGO3 
#1 ·
Hi all, This past Friday, my wife and I purchased a new to us '04 Durango with the 4.7 engine and just under 19K of mileage. Not many options, but the intention is to tow our existing camper with the possiblity of upgrading to a larger camper. Currently, the D doesn't have a towing package. From my research, I have gathered that I have a tow capacity of 5,850 pounds. Is there anything I could do to boost this such as add coolers or something, or is this a limitation with engine / frame / transmission? Also, since I currently don't have a tow package, and will need to install one, do all the D's come pre-wired for towing lights / brake controllers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
mule said:
Hi all, This past Friday, my wife and I purchased a new to us '04 Durango with the 4.7 engine and just under 19K of mileage. Not many options, but the intention is to tow our existing camper with the possiblity of upgrading to a larger camper. Currently, the D doesn't have a towing package. From my research, I have gathered that I have a tow capacity of 5,850 pounds. Is there anything I could do to boost this such as add coolers or something, or is this a limitation with engine / frame / transmission? Also, since I currently don't have a tow package, and will need to install one, do all the D's come pre-wired for towing lights / brake controllers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
According to Dodge Towing (2006 ratings) you probably have the 3.55 axle to get that 5850 tow rating. Changing out to a 3.92 axle will get you to 7350 lbs. At 3.55 with the 4.7, you'll really be stressing the engine as you'll be in the wrong place on the torque curve. In general, the transmission is fine - it's the same one that's in my Ram 2500 Hemi.
You should add a transmission cooler (not sure if it's standard on non-towing equipped D's. Most likely you'll need to add a 7-pin plug for lights and brakes and hardwire a brake controller (D's equipped with towing package have a plug available for the electric brake controller pigtail.) I'd have your local RV dealer check it all over for you - he should be able to tell you what's there and what you might need.
Also, have any Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep dealer get you a print-out of your D's "build sheet". It lists virtually every component on your truck so will tell you about the tranny cooler, trailer wiring, etc. if they're there.

BTW - welcome to the DOC Forums. Please feel free to ask away. Someone is usually around to help answer your questions or give you guidance on where to go to get help.

Joe

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I think changing the axle etc. is way to much to do. I'll certainly go and get the build data on it. I need to visit a dealer anyway since the latest recall wasn't done on it. Right now, I'm pulling a 2600 lb. dry camper, even loaded up, I won't have a problem. I was towing it with a 2007 Nissan Murano without issue.

#4 ·
Out of curiosity, and not to hijack the thread, but why is a Gen 2 with 4.7 and 3.55 rated at 5,800 lbs. and a Gen 1 with 4.7 and 3.55 is rated at 4,300 lbs.?

You'll tow that trailer with no problems. If you're towing any distance you'll want the transmission cooler if not already installed. If you buy the bigger trailer and needed more capacity, changing out the 3.55 for 3.92 (or higher) gears will be worth it, I don't think it's a huge job but have never had it done myself.

#6 ·
If I'm correct from reading, didn't they change the frame style to a full box for the gen 2? I could be complelty wrong that they did that, but it might be frame related? I'm no mechanic, and I really don't want to stress the engine since I want it to be around for a bit. I don't know what's involved and the cost to do it, but I'll definitely add a trany cooler. I'm bringing it to the dealer on Saturday to do recall work, while there, I'm going to have them look it over and give me my options and pricing. Once I get their list and prices, I can go out shopping for better prices.

Thanks again,

#7 ·
You won't stress that D with that Load you have
By the way all Gen 2's have a separate tranny cooler if I recall with a separate electric fan.
Steve
DOC Pres

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.