Dodge Durango Forum banner

Durango towing questions

14K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  steveg 
#1 ·
Hello folks,

I'm new to this forum and I'm getting ready to purchase a used 05-06 Durango. I'm headed out to a couple of dealerships in my area tomorrow to see a few D's. I plan on using my new truck to tow a 6x12 ft motorcycle trailer and will more than likely be purchasing a D with the 4.7 Hemi? would be nice if I can locate one for a reasonable price.

About towing? Is there a difference in models with regard to towing ability? I see 4x2 and 4x4 model D's and I'm wondering if the full time 4WD D is tow capable? Is there switchable 4x2, 4x4 drive selectors on the Durango LTD?

Thanks in advance.
Ken

#2 ·
The AWD Durango is perfectly capable of towing. In general there's about 150 lbs difference in tow rating between the AWD and the 2WD - mostly because the weight of the transfer case takes away from what's available from the GVWR and GCWR.

Tow rating will depend on the engine (4.7 vs 5.7) and gearing (3.55 vs 3.92) with the 5.7 & 3.92 gears having the highest towing capability and the 4.7 & 3.55 gears the lowest (check out TrailerLife Tow Ratings.)

You can't get a swichable transfer case (2WD/4WD) on the Gen2 Durango.

Joe

#4 ·
If you find one with the trailer tow group, here's what you get:<ul>[*]7 and 4 pin wiring harness[*]Auxiliary transmission oil cooler[*]Heated exterior mirrors[*]Heavy duty engine cooling[*]Heavy duty service group[*]Class IV Hitch receiver[*]6x9 power fold-away mirrors[*]Power steering cooler[/list]It'll make life a lot easier rather than trying to piece it together.

Joe

#5 ·
Appreciate the information. I didn't realize the OEM towing package came with so much gear. I thought the package just included the Class IV receiver, tranny cooler and wiring harness. I can see trying to piece it together afterwards costing a fortune!

<u>Update</u>
Anyone have information on a soure or part number for an OEM oil cooler? My truck has a power steering cooler and tranny cooler already, just want to add the oil cooler if I can.
Thanks.
Ken

#6 ·
I'd just research aftermarket oil coolers from B&M. They should have a decent one.
Steve
DOC Pres

#8 ·
Thebugman said:
Ken, not to be picky but the 4.7 is not a Hemi. There's a big difference in design and power. Go for more power. UHHHH UHHHHH UHHHHH! Remember Tim the toolman :cheesy: :] :]
Forgive my ignorance, what should I be doing?

I bought this as a tow vehicle and I was looking for the things that would make it easier on the motor and drive train.
Ken

#9 ·
You have to go for the power. Let me tell you first hand, when you have something else to compare it to, the Gen2 4.7l is a real dog. You may be interested in reading my A Gen1 owners review of a Gen2 thread.

Get the bigger powerplant and enjoy your new vehicle. Best of luck.

IndyDurango

#10 ·
I beg to differ slightly.
First off we don't know what he's towing. Secondly we don't know how much it weighs.
For the record I do agree with you that, with bigger trailers, having a 5.9 or Hemi will give you a lot more torque, in the case of the hemi, or a bit more torque with a 5.9. I'm guessing you're towing a couple bikes to the track and some gear, so about 3000-3500 lbs total. In the past I've towed 2 quads weighing 900 + each on a 1000 pound trailer when I still had the 3.55 gears and there was no problem. As a matter of fact, it really didn't slow me down.
So give us some more info stripes. If ya gonna be towing a big trailer home, I'm going to agree you should get the Hemi.
If you're towing as I stated above, keep what you got and mod it a bit with a TB and exhaust system and it'll have the same HP as a stock 5.9 with a tad less torque (and I mean a tad.)
Above all enjoy your D and don't be afraid to use it.
Flame away big engine boys (go ahead Indy, ya know ya cant wait!)
Steve
DOC Pres

#11 ·
Holy crap! I can't believe I beat Rob to the punch!

Ummm?so how tall are you, Steve? LMAO! I've got to get back there one day and see what that little 4.7 will do!

Go big magnums!

#12 ·
Considering your list of mods, M1, FM TB, B&G flash, JBA, 3.5" ex, CAI with IAT, Ign., I think maybe your D isn't a stock 5.9 DUH!
BTW, I'm sure Indy has read this and he'll follow up with a tutorial on why the 5.9 is better than a 4.7 and how much more power he has and? yawn! I hope he posts it soon as I need to fall asleep and his speaches generally do that to me, especially the one about the mighty 5.9 LOL :wall:
Anyway come on down. It'll be great to have you visit the Northeast!
Steve
DOC Pres

#13 ·
Ya know, this is kind of fun, taking pot shots at him when he's not on-line! Maybe you need to create an entirely new category!

ROFL!!

#14 ·
He's online!
No pot shots!
We're just bustin on each other!

:cheesy:

I'm telling you, he's just waiting!
Steve
DOC Pres

#15 ·
Geeze! Kick a guy while he's reading other posts why don't 'cha!! :)

First, the Gen1 powerplants aren't necessarily an equal comparison to the Gen2 powerplants. The Ds themselves are way too different to be compared equally.

I don't believe I said, "My 5.9 Gen1 is better than the 4.7 Gen2." What I believe I said was, "Here? take a look at a write up from my perspective of the Gen2." My take was mainly in the environment and in the usage I put the Gen2 4.7l through for 1200 miles and my main gripe was it was underpowered. On that analysis alone, which I believe was a good one, a first hand experienced, and one that took over a week plus and 1200 miles, get the bigger engine. Simple.

As for the 4.7l little guys in the Gen1s, Warren and I'll always be happy to play lead dogs for the pack and we can all hunt down ricers together :cheesy:

There, your "speech." You can sleep now Steve. Someone must have pissed in your cereal today because you were fairly emblazoned and illustrious in your retort (here? look 'em up: www.dictionary.com LOL)

The IndyD

#16 ·
I'm going to be towing a 6x12 or 7x12 ft enclosed trailer with two 500 lbs sport bikes and related track gear, electric generator and some tools. All together less than 3500 lbs including the weight of the trailer.
I'm heading out to see a used 7x12 trailer for sale tomorrow. With any luck it'll be as nice as it looks in the pictures and I'll have a new bike trailer with electric brakes.
Considering I used to pull a small 4x8 open trailer with my 96 Explorer Sport with a 4L 6 cyl, having the 4.7 V8 is a huge step in the right direction. So far I'm quite happy with the truck.
Ken

#17 ·
No dictionary required Indy!
No one pissed in my Wheaties.
I appreciate you and Warren taking the lead!
Stripes, you'll have no problem with that trailer at all.
Steve
DOC Pres

#19 ·
Just a random datapoint:

Last weekend I had to go fetch my brother, his family, and his daughter's car up in White River Junction. My '03 Gen 1 4.7/3.55/AWD towed the 3000 lbs of trailer+dolly, along with four adults, up and down the hills of I-91 in VT at 65 MPH with no trouble at all? and got 14+ MPG to boot on the 100-mile tow!

#20 ·
Somebody hit a nerve with the prez. It's okay, I'm a fellow 4.7 owner and can take the abuse :) With the 4.7, and assuming the 3.55 gears, I'm looking at towing very little? maybe a jetski or bike trailer at some point down the road. I have the stock SXT so would probably want to upgrade to an inline tranny cooler at the least.

I'd really like to move up to an '03 4x4 but have already gotten my '02 ship shape with all the recalls and maintenance. Hate to have to start over but on the other hand I'm one of those who keeps just about everything until it falls apart. In FL there's really no need for 4x4 if you stick to pavement, but there's a possibility of an Arkansas relocation at some point. Guess I can always move up at then.

With used cars I can't help thinking that somebody is driving my car around right now? doing God knows what.

#21 ·
Just to add fuel to the fire, I towed my 3500# car on a ~1800# trailer with my wife and vacation equipment for about a 3.5 hour trip each way a couple years ago with no troubles, other than slow starts and stops. (4.7 with 3.55's) That was pretty much on flat land though, and only done once. ;)

#22 ·
This is a Gen2 forum area thread.

For all the Gen1 4.7 referrences. Go rent a Gen2 4.7 and report back your findings. I think you'll find the Gen1 to Gen2 power gap on the 4.7s dramatic. Couple that with a TSB on the tranny and goofy shift points and you'll be glad you have the Gen1 regardless of the 4.7L.

NYCStripes could save the money now and then kick himself for the lack of power later on the Gen2 4.7. Who knows. DC only provided the 4.7 to help the CAFE numbers on the Gen2 anyways. It's not their preferred powerplant for the platform. Ever hear then proudly pronounce, "Successfully gets up hill while saving fuel." Nope. The marketing spin is more like, "Eat mountains with the optional Hemi powered Durango." Nuff said.

ROTFL. Pres Steve is okay, no nerves? he and I talk all the time and are just playing with one another. Forum posts don't always get that across. LOL :)

IndyD

#23 ·
IndyDurango said:
This is a Gen2 forum area thread.
OOPS! I retract my last statement, then! :lol:

I didn't realize there was a power difference between Gen 1 and 2.

#24 ·
I don't think there's a power difference per se between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Durangos (the 4.7 powertrain is the same in both Gens.) It's just the fact that the Gen 2's are significantly larger (but, suprisingly not much heavier) and quieter than the Gen 1's. Actual towing capacity of Gen 2's is higher for comparable powertrains.
That being said, the 4.7 engine wouldn't be my choice for towing, but will get the job done for the type of loads NYCSTRIPES intends to tow.

Joe

#25 ·
At the speed you drive Joe, a turtle with a Class 4 hitch would do the job LOL
Safety first!
Steve
DOC Pres

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.