Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plugs on 2008 5.7L Hemi?

Member #

Spark Plugs on 2008 5.7L Hemi?

I just bought a 2008 Aspen with the Hemi and it has 34,000 miles on it with spark plugs that have never been changed. So I went to Autozone and bought 16 of the recommended Champion spark plugs (good enough for what I'm going to use them for), but how do you change them? Does someone have a clip from the service manual that shows where they are, how to change them, torque specs, proper gap, etc., etc? How many have needed to change them at 30,000 miles?

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    As you've read, the factory spec is change at 30K and the gap is .045. The plugs in my Hemi are less than 1K from 40K and still doing well. At a whopping $2 a plug, when the time comes I plan to change them all. Some folks feel since the secondary plug only fires on the opposite side of the engine during that cylinders exhaust stroke, they can last longer. I say when you go in, do em all!

There are 8 plugs in each head with coil packs mounted over 4 of the 8 on each side secured by 10mm bolts if memory serves correctly. Dealers are rumored to charge $250-$300 for spark plug replacement on the Hemi as it does take 2-3 hours. You'll want to have a good selection of extensions and it'll help to remove the air hat and associated tubing to the air box to give you room to work.

Don
    2004 Flame Red Durango SLT Hemi AWD w/3.55's. "The Flame Red Rocket." A transplant from Cleveland, Oh on 3/26/10.
    2004 Midnight Gray Crown Victoria Sport 4.6L with 3L27's
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers)

Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 Grand Cherokees
    I think by '08 the Durango/Aspen had gone to the dual coil-on-plug setup like my '07 JGC has. I don't know the Gen-2 under hood all that well so I'll defer to Don as far as what has to (or should be) removed.

Anyway, if it's dual coil-on-plug, there'll be a pair of 10mm head bolts to remove for each coil and then carefully but firmly wiggle the boots out and blow out any dirt from the spark-plug tubes. The plugs are tapered-seat in an aluminum head, so you have to be reasonable careful when torquing them down during installation. You should also apply some dielectric grease to the insides of the ends of the boots before re-installing them.
    "It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy ... Let's go exploring!"
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Vehicle
    2007 Durango Night Runner
    Mods
    1 of 241 made
    There's very little room under the hood to get to them and it looks like a real PITA. Don, is it the same with the 07?
    2007 Hemi Nightrunner D

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Haven't been under the hood of an 07 so I can't speak to that, but the coils in my 04 are attached to the valve cover with two 10mm bolts.
    The are 2 plugs under each coil. I now believe that both plugs are fired for a given cylinder on the power stroke, and additionally a plug on an opposite cylinder is fired on the exhaust stroke for emissions purposes.

My Hemi plug change at 50K is documented on this forum. Eventually, the electrodes will wear away to the point that the engine wont run.
    I do not recommend this. I noted a very small increase in performance after the change, but overall it ran fine beforehand.

Don
    Last edited by Don Fox; 09-05-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Updated content
    2004 Flame Red Durango SLT Hemi AWD w/3.55's. "The Flame Red Rocket." A transplant from Cleveland, Oh on 3/26/10.
    2004 Midnight Gray Crown Victoria Sport 4.6L with 3L27's
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers)

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Time for some Taylor shorties. I love not having "extra long" plug wires going to the opposite side!
    1999 Durango 360 FM 50mm, PS Headers, K&N FIPK, Rancho RSX's, SuperChips 3865, T/S lift, Hughes plenum/rebuild
    2012 Challenger SXT 3.6l, 267HP, 254 torque, Diablo Intune, FM 74/80mm
    2004 RAM HEMI QC LB 7" lifted 2WD Rancho9000x, FM 84mm, SC 3815, factory freak

Member #
    Hey guys, sorry to rebirth this thread... but I still haven't installed the plugs And I don't really want to. A buddy of mine at work has an 08 Aspen as well. His has 120,000 miles, still on the original plugs! His MDS actually works better than mine! (and we both had the most recent MDS computer flash done at the dealership). And he gets really good overall gas mileage too.

Is he lucky and skating on thin ice? Or is this pretty typical? I have never heard of replacing spark plugs before 100,000 miles before, so I'm struggling to drag out my chest of sockets and extensions, only to realize I don't have the correct ones, have to go out and buy 5 or 6 more different extensions, try them only to find out they don't work either, go back out to buy more, etc etc... This is the kind of luck I have. Only to have me break something and have to get the f'ing car towed to the dealership anyway!!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 Grand Cherokees
    Quote Originally Posted by all_bran View Post
    I have never heard of replacing spark plugs before 100,000 miles before
    You must be a young whippersnapper!

I only know the dual-coil-on-plug setup, that is not all that bad. You'll need a good spark-plug socket, and some good tight-fitting extensions so that you can get that spark-plug socket out out of the tube when you're done. Air (canned or compressor) to blow any crap out of the tube before you pull the plug. Inch-pound torque wrench is a good idea if you aren't used to tapered seats in aluminum heads.

The Durango engine compartment is somewhat tighter than the '07 GC engine compartment, so that might require more patience.

...tom
    "It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy ... Let's go exploring!"
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tomk View Post
    You must be a young whippersnapper!

I only know the dual-coil-on-plug setup, that is not all that bad. You'll need a good spark-plug socket, and some good tight-fitting extensions so that you can get that spark-plug socket out out of the tube when you're done. Air (canned or compressor) to blow any crap out of the tube before you pull the plug. Inch-pound torque wrench is a good idea if you aren't used to tapered seats in aluminum heads.

The Durango engine compartment is somewhat tighter than the '07 GC engine compartment, so that might require more patience.

...tom
    Thank you for the insight... but that wasn't exactly what I was asking. I understand the manual says to replace them at 30k. But I currently have 47k on my hemi aspen and a buddy of mine has over 100k... seemingly with no ill-effect. But I don't know what I don't know... Will something magically come back to life that I forgot about if I replace the plugs? Or is this one of those things where you only need to replace the plugs only if you're towing a tractor trailer offroad at temperatures below 0 deg F or above 120 deg F? I'm struggling to find the justification to replace them if I have seen no ill-effect and someone with 120k on their hemi hasn't seen any ill effect either?

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    You really need to change the plugs. As they wear they increase the load that is placed on the coil packs and helps to wear them out faster. This gets expensive at repair time. Be sure to use some anti-sieaze on the sparkplug threads when you put them in.
    Hanson front bumper, Kennesaw rear bumper, Ranch9000xl's w/ remote, Detroit Locker, lots of other goodies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links