Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Manifold Leak Help Needed

Member #

Exhaust Manifold Leak Help Needed

After having my 2006 with 4.7 checked out because I thought it had a lifter tick, I was told it's an exhaust leak at the manifold. They wouldn't say much more than that and it sounded like something I can fix at home. So I did some research and found this is a common issue. I just got done taking a look for myself and here's what I need help with so far.

The leak is on the right side of the engine, so I got under and looked at the bolts. The ones I could see where all there and looked fine. The only issue I could find was that one of the bolts holding on the heat shield is loose. I tried to tighten it and it just turned without tightened. Does this bolt hold the manifold on also or just the heat shield. I'm hoping I found the problem but don't want to go any further until I know. I have a habit of making easy jobs hard by not stopping to ask before proceeding, so I thought I'd try the easy way this time. lol

If this could be the problem, how to you fix a broken bolt in the manifold? I know it's common to break these bolts but I don't know how to remedy the problem If this bolt isn't involved with the manifold, can somebody give me a bit more in depth fix it plan to locating the leak and fixing it?

Thanks for any info you have on this project, if you need any info that I didn't supply please ask.

Member #
    if you have a broken stud in the manifold, more than likely what you need to do is remove the air cleaner assembly, the wheel splash shield and the heat shield 1st. then remove the 2 bolts at the collector and the 6 or 7 bolts holding the manifold to the engine. once they're off, you may be able to grip it with some sort of vise grips to remove it, make sure to spray all the bolts with PB blaster before you start and let them soak to make the job easier. you'll more than likely need a new set of bolts and heat shield. check the flatness of the manifold with a straight edge to verify it hasn't warped, mine was severely warped! it's usually like $20 to have it machined at a machine shop. while you're at it, get them cermakromed while they're off!
    2001 Dodge Dakota Quad cab 4.7 131k
    2000 Buick Century 3.1 3100 w/ 124k

Member #
    Okay, next question is how to remove the wheel splash shield? I don't want to mess up the fasteners, so is there a tool I need or just pull on it? Looks like a few plastic fasteners holding it on, is there anything else I'll need to know about that?

I also see four bolts holding the heat shield on and can't see all the bolts to the manifold. I assume I'll see them all once the heat shield is off? Can you tell me if the bolt holding the heat shield on also holds the manifold on?

Member #
    Liked
    184 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 Grand Cherokees
    IIRC the heat shield bolts don't hold the manifold on, but it's been a while.

If the fender shield fasteners are "Christmas tree" type fasteners, just get yourself a new bag of 'em in a bunch of different sizes. After many years of worrying about those damned things, I just keep a stock pile of different sizes 'in stock'. They're cheap and not worth fretting over.
    Must have been that yesterday
    was the day that I was born
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Member #
    mine were a plastic rivet type thing. I picked up a tool at harbor freight for them and will try to take a picture of the fastener since the 06 might be different. they can be had at any auto fastener store, but let me know if you can't find them as I can get them ordered for you?

Member #
    Thanks for all the info so far, I think the fasteners are the Christmas tree style. I'm going to wait until I have a day or two off to try this. It sounds like it may be harder than I thought at first. I don't have anything to drill and tap the holes with if I break a bolt off.

I was hoping the bolt that holds the heat shield on was also holding the manifold on because I know it's just turning and would be the culprit if it was.

Member #
    The fasteners can also be found at Fastenal.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If you're going to attempt to replace the gaskets, go with RemFlex. You might say they're a compression type of gasket that'll confirm to any irregularities in your manifold and don't necessarily need to be re-torqued.
    John W.
    drummerdude_nj@yahoo.com
    **NEW MOTOR BUILD UP IN PROGRESS**
    www.cardomain.com/id/dudesrt

Member #
    +1 That's the gasket I used when I did my exhaust manifolds. thanks for recommending them, they're awesome!

Member #
    In the "what it's worth department", I have an '07 Aspen and the manual shows the following torque specs for the 4.7:
    • exhaust clamp nuts, 31 ft-lbs
      exhaust pipe to manifold nuts, 25 ft-lbs
      heat shield nuts, 60 in-lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links