Dodge Durango Forum banner

P0551 Code - power steering pressure switch

41K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  catmoore91 
#1 ·
Hey all,

D's got about ~82k miles on it now, and the check engine light sprang to life a couple of days ago while on the highway. Got to a rest area and saw that the code was P0551. Of course, the first thing I did was check on the forums here to find out what I've gotten myself into. Most said it's probably a faulty connection on the power steering pressure switch. Also that it's best to replace it before it causes other issues like leaking onto the o2 sensor, etc.

The power steering fluid level was fine and no visible leaks anywhere. So I'm going to follow the wisdom of DOC -- never steered me wrong before. I read it was the easiest fix ever. Rockauto has the part (PSS13) for about $24 shipped. Just wanted to know -- where's the switch located? No one seemed to mention that. :?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Please, do check the wiring harness for any intrusion of fluid and clean till you don't find anymore. The p/s fluid can wreck your PCM and other sensors by following the harness from the inside.

#3 ·
Definitely get it replaced ASAP because it'll wreak havoc
Steve
DOC Pres

#5 ·
I do believe the powers steering switch is the same on 4.7's as well as 5.9's with rack and pinion
Steve
DOC Pres

#7 ·
FSTDANGO3 said:
I do believe the powers steering switch is the same on 4.7's as well as 5.9's with rack and pinion
Steve
DOC Pres
Codes from that sensor go back to the PCM. Nothing mentioned in the guide for the 5.9L? only the lil 4.7l

I could be wrong, only looked up the 2000 because that's the only data I have, but don't think so.

IndyD

#8 ·
It's not engine specific. I believe as Steve indicated above it's a Rack and Pinion sensor. Rack and pinion did came in 01+.

#9 ·
actually it's engine specific, apparently?

03 FSM:
A pressure sensing switch (Fig. 6) is included in
the power steering system (mounted on the highpressure
line.) This switch will be used only on vehicles
equipped with a 4.7L V?8 engine and power
steering.

#10 ·
Damn?wrong about something :oops: :cheesy: Well either way it's good for me. My steering box has been leaking for a while. I need to change it this spring. (that's what I said last fall.) I have seen posts warning of the potential problems but I couldn't see any harness in the area. That confirms why.

#11 ·
Stand corrected.
Steve
DOC Pres

#13 ·
First off, make sure it's plugged in or reseat it? could be as simple as a dirty contact. It should be located up and under the PS reservoir area.

#14 ·
A little delayed, but? worked like a charm! And it was definitely an easy swap. Just had to use a wrench to loosen the switch a little and kept a paper towel under it to catch some of the PS fluid.

Easy peasy, lemony squeezy.
Thanks again, guys! :clap:

#15 ·
so is there a pressure switch on the 5.9L or not? and if not why do parts stores sell them? currently driving my grandparents 02 durango and it keeps dying while going down the road. can't seem to figure it out and we've already replaced:
distributor cap
spark plugs
plug wires
alternator
fuel pump
changed all fluids
injectors
we are at a loss and could really use some help. been researching for days and everything says it could be the PS pressure switch. parts store said thats what it could be as well already bought it (for the 5.9L according to the parts store) but cant locate it. PLEASE HELP i really don't want my grandparents driving this thing if it's unsafe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.