Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Driveshaft removed?

Member #

Front Driveshaft removed?

Just thought I'd throw a post in here for those with AWD. I know there have been a lot of posts about removing the front driveshaft from guys with fulltime 4WD, but couldn't find any with AWD?

Heard clicking sound coming from under D?at low speed, high speed, straight and corners. I thought it was a CV joint, but when I got under the D, I noticed metal on the front driveshaft joint had been torn.

On the AWD, the front of the front driveshaft is a 4 bolt u-joint, but where it connects up to the transfer case is a 6-bolt (or is it 8?) unit mounted on to a bearing assembly. Once all bolts front and back were off, a little prying and hammering and the driveshaft came loose. One of my bearings had torn free (probably from lack of grease since the boot that holds the grease in the bearing assembly was torn) and the bearing ricocheted inside the assembly, severely damaging the metal housing, and cracking the flange inside as well.

The bearing assembly and driveshaft are all one unit, so I have to replace the whole thing?haven't got a price yet. If by any chance the length is the same, I might put in the driveshaft of a 4WD D, which I believe has u-joints at both ends. That would make servicing much easier in the future. I'll post some pics of the broken unit in a few days.

-Harrison
    2001 4.7L AWD - 3.92 Limited Slip - Flowmaster 50 SUV - Chrome Intakes air intake + K&N Cone filter

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    R/T Mark who had several long posts on his experiment with taking off his drive shaft was AWD (That's the only way R/T's are) I don't believe there has been any confirmation that any of the drive shafts have a different configuration. I have read that the drive shaft may be difficult and may require beating and banging.
    99 Durango 5.9, FT 4x4, IP stage III w/ K&N air hat, M1, SCT, Fastman TB, 1.7 RR, JBA headers, Borla cat back, Martin Saine valve body, Hotchkis swaybars, Blistein shocks, lowered 2" Black Rhino Kenya wheels, 246. 7 RWHP, 319 TQ

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Harrison, if you can, take some pics of that joint and either post them or send them to me.

When I made the part time to full time swap, there were no issues with the front driveshaft. Everything bolted back togther fine.

Don
    2004 Flame Red Durango SLT Hemi AWD w/3.55's. "The Flame Red Rocket." A transplant from Cleveland, Oh on 3/26/10.
    2004 Midnight Gray Crown Victoria Sport 4.6L with 3L27's
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers)

Member #
    Sorry about the wait Don - here are the pics. In the first photo, you can see what damage the bearing did to the inside of the casing when it broke loose! Both the hole and the bubble were caused by it I'd guess. If you look at the second picture, you can see at about 11 o' clock on the assembly where the metal ring that holds the bearings in place has completely broken off. Yikes! There was a rubber boot that surrounded the front of the assembly - it was torn and I cut it off to get a better look inside.

Don - when you swapped to full-time 4WD, did you use this type of shaft?

-Harrison
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2001 4.7L AWD - 3.92 Limited Slip - Flowmaster 50 SUV - Chrome Intakes air intake + K&N Cone filter

Member #
    mine looks nothing like that on the R/T. its got U-jionts at both ends.
    2000 Durango R/T 4x4

Stock till she's paid off.

fun,free,addicting game- http://4x4country.net/register.php?REF=6565

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Wow Harrison, that's a rusty looking joint. It looks to me like they attempted to put a CV joint on there instead of a U-joint.

Mu guess is that when the boot tore, the grease worked its way out via centrifical force which caused the joint to self destruct. I'm pretty sure that's what my driveshaft looks like as well.

I'll try to take a pic or two in the next day or so and compare it.

Give Mark Rose auto parts in Michigan a try. That's where I got my NV244 so I know he has front shaft for it.

Don
    2004 Flame Red Durango SLT Hemi AWD w/3.55's. "The Flame Red Rocket." A transplant from Cleveland, Oh on 3/26/10.

Member #
    Hey Don, I read your thread on swapping to an NV244 transfer case, and I just wanted to confirm with you that your AWD truck is still using the same front driveshaft as when you had 4WD? And what's on the rear end of the shaft, a u-joint similar to the front?

Wondering if any other AWD owners might be able to let me know whether their front driveshaft has two u-joints, or if anyone has a configuration like the one on in the picture?

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Hairson:
    Sorry for the delay on the pics. Weather here in Ohio has been crazy for the last two weeks.

Anyway, I'm indeed using the same two driveshafts that came installed with my part time NV 233 case. I'll go out here in a bit and crawl under and get a visual on the front shaft. I'll take some pics and hopefully can post them for you.

Don

Member #
    Hair-son;

I checked under my D and my front shaft is the same as yours. U-joints on the front and flange attachment at the rear.

Canuck "D"
    01 SLT+ 4.7 AWD 4X4 Fully Loaded

It might take a bit of work but you can definitely fit a square peg into a round hole!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Hair-son:

Took a look under the D today while replacing the fog lights which had both finally given their all and were cracked and leaking.

My front shaft looks like yours (and Canucks).

BTW, did you ever give Morris Rose Auto Parts a call on your front shaft?
    The may still have the one that came with the NV244 they sold me. I think Corey quoted me $125 for the shaft when I asked him in case I ended up needing it. The 01 donor D only had 34k on it.
    1-800-345-0123

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links