Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: won't shift into overdrive

Member #

won't shift into overdrive

Today it was -13 about -30 with the windchill and the D wouldn't shift into overdrive , actually the remote start had a problem starting it too. Any ideas? I changed the transmission oil about 6k miles ago, adjusted the bands and everything.
    Sold: 2000 Durango SLT+ 5.9L 4wd 100k Miles
    Sold: 2001 Durango R/T 5.9L AWD 55K Miles
    New: 2001 Mustang GT 4.6L
    KB2.1L (on the way) + bolt ons

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Adde:
    How long of a drive were you making?

Our D's along with may newer cars today won't allow a shift into overdrive until the tranny temp reaches a certain level.

My 95 SHO was the same way. If you made a short trip say, 4-5 miles or less it probably wasn't warm enough.

Don
    2004 Flame Red Durango SLT Hemi AWD w/3.55's. "The Flame Red Rocket." A transplant from Cleveland, Oh on 3/26/10.
    2004 Midnight Gray Crown Victoria Sport 4.6L with 3L27's
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers)

Member #
    you're right wasn't more then a 4-5mile trip but it has never had a problem before, I'm driving to work after this class so we'll see how it goes.
    Sold: 2000 Durango SLT+ 5.9L 4wd 100k Miles
    Sold: 2001 Durango R/T 5.9L AWD 55K Miles
    New: 2001 Mustang GT 4.6L
    KB2.1L (on the way) + bolt ons

Member #
    Tranny temp needs to be above 50F before it'll go into OD. If you don't have far to go, this is most likely what happened.
    It should happen long before your engine warms up, but on a cold day like you're seeing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Joe
    Joe 2004 RAM2500 SLT Bright Silver Metallic, QC, SB, Hemi, Line-X, TonneauMaster, RB-1 Nav Radio

Member #
    Liked
    262 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 Grand Cherokees
    This morning my '03 4.7L wouldn't shift into OD until I'd driven about 10 miles? I suspect in this case, because I get on the highway pretty quickly after starting out, the radiator was staying very cold until the thermostat opened and this was overcooling the tranny fluid?

IIRC the 46RE will refuse to shift into OD when the tranny fluid is below 50F?
    Izzat you, Santy Claus?
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Member #
    I wouldn't worry about it yet if you're in the deep freeze region. It was -4 this morning here and I drove about 7 miles to work and I didn't get into OD either. Heck with the 180 degree t-stat I was shocked to actually have some heat this morning by the time I got to work! Usually it takes me about 4 miles for OD to lock in when its 32-15 degrees. My truck sits outside and I give it about 30 seconds before it hits drive.
    -----
    99' D, 5.9, 3.92, Modified IP III, FM TB, MPPCM, Custom Cat-back, MS Valve Body

Member #
    I usually warm up the tranny a bit by putting it into D for about a minute before I go. It makes a difference on those cold days.
    01 SLT+ 4.7 AWD 4X4 Fully Loaded

It might take a bit of work but you can definitely fit a square peg into a round hole!

Member #
    Mine was so cold this morning that it actually went into "limp home" mode (only reverse and 3rd gears)! It also threw two DTCs?P0700 which is a flag code telling you there's a code in the TCM, and once the TCM was scanned, a P0841 which is a Low/Reverse pressure solenoid malfunction.

It may have been my own fault?This morning I was running late, and hopped in the ice cold D (it was -18? today) backed up, shifted to drive, and it didn't move right away. I blipped the throttle and it engaged 1st gear, then almost immediately slammed into 3rd. I shut it off, and restarted it, and it then had all forward gears, but had the MIL on. I scanned it when I got to work and reset the codes, and it hasn't happened since.

But back on topic, I don't get 4th gear until I drive a few miles, and even longer before the torque convertor clutch engages. This is normal operation, and nothing to be concerned about.
    Mike

2001 Durango SLT 4.7
    Patriot Blue

Mostly stock
    *SOLD*

Currently driving a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L and lovin' it!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Vehicle
    99 Chilil Pepper Red Durango, tan leather interior
    Mods
    Mopar Performance intake, PPH Headers/custom exhaust, Superchips, MSD coil, helixed TB spacer
    Friday morning when it was between -13 & -21 6-6:20a.m. on my drive to work, my D didn't shift into OD the whole way there. and that's about 30 miles!! when I left for home around 3 p.m. or so, temps were higher and my D shifted into OD normally.
    Dan - retired military, student at Front Range Community College, Westminster, CO
    99 D 4x4 5.9 / 4 spd a/t, CPR, leather interior helixed TB spacer, MSD #8228 coil, homemade CAI, PPH headers/full custom dual exhaust, Superchips
    97 JGC Limited 5.2/4 spd a/t, f/t 4wd, red, leather interior, mods to come

Links