Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Gen1 1999 Dodge Durango Shelby - Thread and Registry

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Okay, yet another blue Shelby is available on eBay: Another eBay listing for a Blue Shelby #193

This one matches many of the items from the first, including the badging on the front doors. Obvious to me now, is that there were various specifications and each could be slightly different. This Shelby is outlandishly priced, but it has had a lot of engine dressup work done. On a true collectible, I'd think this would decrease the value however.

Anyways, enjoy the pix. What's it with all the Blue Shelbys avail all of a sudden?

IndyDurango

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Intense Blue was the only color the genuine Shelby came in. The latter SP360 was offered in the factory colors.

There was a post from Al I believe that indicated that one of the original prototypes was done in another color.
    99 Durango 5.9, FT 4x4, IP stage III w/ K&N air hat, M1, SCT, Fastman TB, 1.7 RR, JBA headers, Borla cat back, Martin Saine valve body, Hotchkis swaybars, Blistein shocks, lowered 2" Black Rhino Kenya wheels, 246. 7 RWHP, 319 TQ

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Vehicle
    1998 5.2, 4x4, SLT
    one of the few with all the options offered
    Interesting statement since it obviously still has OEM brakes all around and the Stillen brake kits were one of the available options!

BTW, contrary to appearances, all Shelby D's, except one - see my below comment, were painted a special "Shelby Viper Blue" shade (formulated by PPG) that, while it's very close to Intense Blue, isn't quite the same color.

As for the one off-colored Shelby?

Back in 1999 Best Buy ran a contest where the Grand Prize was a Shelby D fully tricked out with a load of their stereo equipment. This particular Shelby was painted "Best Buy Yellow" with "Best Buy Blue" skunk stripes! I happened to know about it because I had a chance to see it in person at a Vegas Best Buy Store and then regularly went out-of-my-way to enter the contest? although obviously I didn't win!

Finally, to clarify the whole, Shelby Durango vs SP360 vs Super Pursuit issue?

Performance West Group Inc., founded by Larry Weiner, created the original Durango Super Pursuit for the 1997 SEMA show where it won the Chrysler Design Excellence Award. Carrol Shelby had absolutely nothing to do with the design or creation of this vehicle!

After all the attention the Super Pursuit design received at the show, Chrysler Corp; in conjunction with Race Truck Trends in CA and Star Coach Inc. in GA; decided to offer a "factory" performance package for the Durango based on the Super Pursuit show vehicle. To enhance the "sales appeal" of the package, they got Carrol Shelby to sign off on the design so they could call it a "Shelby" Durango (again, he had nothing to do with the actualy design of the package, Performance West had already done all the design work, he simple "signed" his name to it ? for what I'm sure was a very hefty endorsement check!)

Since the package was based on Performance West's existing Super Pursuit design, which was "suppose" to put out 360HP, they called it an SP360 (for Super Pursuit 360HP) and thus, after Mr Shelby "approved" it, the package became known as the Shelby SP360. Dodge only offered this package on the 1999-2000 Durangos and intended to limit total production to 3000 vehicles; due to lack of interest? or more probably the +$45K price tag, only a few hundred wherever sold (200 to 300 depending on which sources you believe.) All Durango's ordered with the Shelby SP360 package were "drop shipped" from the factory in Delaware to either Race Truck Trends or Star Coach for conversion depending on exactly where it's final delivery was to take place.

After Dodge discontinued the Shelby package, Star Coach Inc. (and possibly Race Truck Trends??) continued to offer the same basic package of options to anyone willing to pony up the cash to have it installed. But, to avoid "legal" conflicts with Chrysler or Shelby, they renamed it the Super Pursuit II and made a few "cosmetic" changes (i.e. different hood, exhaust, no more "Viper Blue" paint, etc.) Up until they went bankrupt sometime in 2003, Star Coach still offered this package for Durango owners and Race Truck Trends still offers "some" of the SP360 products for sell.

So there are 4 types of Ds out there that could be confused as an SP360:

Super Pursuit - only one of these was ever produced, by Performance West, and would be the collectible to have!

Shelby SP360 - the official "factory authorized" performance package (numbering 200-300?) which should all have three serial numbered Shelby tags on them (one on the door sill, one on the glove box and a third in an undisclosed location somewhere on the frame)

Super Pursuit II - a "Shelby look-a-like" package offered by at least one of the factory authorized conversion companies (wouldn't have the 3 serial numbered tags mentioned above and "should" be easy to spot as a fake with a "hands-on" inspection)

Ds modified by their owners with "Shelby" parts - I know of at least one individual who "use" to frequent our forum who went all out buying up all the parts needed to make his D "appear" to be a Shelby SP360 (he even bought some Shelby "signature" seats & wheels from Race Truck Trends!) Heck, my own D has enough Shelby SP360 parts on it that, if I had proper skunk stripes painted on it and removed the roof rails, I could easily past it off as a Shelby (as I stated before, it'd be dirt simple to have some "forged" Shelby ID tags made up for at least the door sill and glove box!)

So, despite what anyone tells you or what you may see advertised anywhere, there never was a D, or package of options for a D, that was sold as simple SP360!
    Last edited by WebMaster; 06-23-2013 at 05:21 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyDurango
    Okay, yet another blue Shelby is available on eBay: Another eBay listing for a Blue Shelby

This one matches many of the items from the first, including the badging on the front doors. Obvious to me now, is that there were various specifications and each could be slightly different. This Shelby is outlandishly priced, but it has had a lot of engine dressup work done. On a true collectible, I'd think this would decrease the value however.
    Well, after listing the Shelby D above for a $21,500 starting bid and getting zero response, the same seller/same Shelby is listed again here, albeit with a more realistic starting bid of $8500 but has a hidden reserve.

As a collectible, I think the engine dress up they have added actually hurts the value

IndyDurango
    Edit = sig update

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Here's another blue Shelby D, #129 with only 17631 miles on it

eBay listing here

I think it's over priced a bit at a $19k opening bid with a hidden reserve, but with such little miles on it, maybe not. The one above sold for over $23k!

I was surprised to see the same dash gauges (no face changes) on it as mine. However the transfer shifter has the overlays on it I have seen them with different gauge overlays, so perhaps that's someone doing an aftermarket mod on the Shelby (I wouldn't mod a Shelby at all personally)

IndyDurango
    Edit = sig update
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Were the Kennebell headers also an option? #129 doesn't have the headers either.
    1998 FG Durango SLT+ 4X4 5.9L 3.92 gears
    Mods: IP CIA, Fastman 52MM TB, M-1 intake, MP PCM, MS performance Valve Body. Rancho RS5000

Member #
    At least this one has the Stillen Brakes on it.

That 360HP/414TQ rating, is that off the crank?
    The 140mph is that a true top speed or estimate? I didn't think that was possible with Durango gearing.
    Same with the 0-60 in 6.4secs, is that an estimate or a real clock time?
    With those kind of numbers, I'm thinking it had to be running in 2WD.
    2000 R/T
    Intercooled Paxton S/C
    Mopar M-1
    Fastman 53mm
    Martin Saine Tranny
    Mopar PPH Headers
    Stillen/AP Racing Big Brake Kit
    FastMan built engine

"Learning starts after you know everything"
    www.ridelikeaprowestcoast.com

Member #
    Funny thing. My wife and I were talking yesterday and she said if we get another one it'd have to be a matching one to the R/T that I have now. I bet I could persuade her if this is as bad as labeled.
    '01R/T,22" rims,custom FM dual exhaust w/tips,KRS rear bumper,FastMan52mm TB,custom ramair hood with custom intake,baer decella rotors,Euro Heads and Tails,HID conversion,LED parking lights,TBL cover,

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RT Mark
    At least this one has the Stillen Brakes on it.

That 360HP/414TQ rating, is that off the crank?
    The 140mph is that a true top speed or estimate? I didn't think that was possible with Durango gearing.
    Same with the 0-60 in 6.4secs, is that an estimate or a real clock time?
    With those kind of numbers, I'm thinking it had to be running in 2WD.
    Here's the link to the specs. Sure looks that way.
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z828/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by DurRT
    Funny thing. My wife and I were talking yesterday and she said if we get another one it'd have to be a matching one to the R/T that I have now. I bet I could persuade her if this is as bad as labeled.
    Steve, if you're looking for one, this Shelby is the best I have seen. The extra low miles on this makes it almost brand new. Based on the sale prices on the other Shelbys, I'd estimate a sale price of $24k when this auction is over.

IndyDurango

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Here's another blue '99 Shelby D on eBay. He shows a pic of the factory sticker at $69,995?!?!?

However

This one is no longer stock? not even close. The interior is okay I guess, until you get to the hideous sub box in the back. Yuck.

And the engine looks like there's a 2nd battery, perhaps for all the center console switches. Dunno.

Finally, he's out of his mind with the price he's asking? regardless of what he has ruined? er? put into it.

A gamecube?! LOL

IndyD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links