Liked
    3 times
    Vehicle
    1998 5.2, 4x4, SLT
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyDurango
    What's an Optimizer?

IndyDurango
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K R/T
    "Optimizer" is a Piggyback on the ECM I think?? Some others may know more.

Rick
    I had one of KB's Optimizers on my D (see pix) up until I swapped it out for a Mopar Performance PCM. It was a "computer" (the red box behind my OEM PCM) programmed with whatever particular specs (2 pages worth) you wanted for your particular engine setup and then tied into lots of different sensors in the engine compartment and interfaced "between" the factory PCM's plugs and connectors using the piggyback adapter as shown. Since it was intended to support their supercharger and I didn't have one, they "detuned" it quite a bit for my 5.2 (lots of long phone calls with a KB tech during the ordering process!)

While it did make a noticeable difference in performance for my D, it became very obvious to me once the Mopar Performance PCM was available and being talkied about that I'd get much "better" performance gains with it. So, instead of paying KB another $400 to reprogrammed my Optimizer, I dropped in a MPPCM!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gen1 1999 Dodge Durango Shelby - Thread and Registry-kb_optimizer.jpg  

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    In regards to the D being on eBay before and the rear seats, I looked into it and here are the results:

My post to the seller:
    Wasn't this vehicle listed for sale on eBay before? If so, what
    happened. Also, are the second row seat Shebly/OEM? I have been
    told that they may not be Shelby due to the style, etc. The are
    definitely Durango, but are don't look like Shelby versioned 2nd
    row seats. Feel free to add my questions on your listing. Thanks!

Seller response:
    Hi, No this is the first time on eBay.
    I ordered it without the racing seats
    in the second row

IndyDurango
    Edit = sig update

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I saw a Shelby from Naperville last year on eBay,Now I guess there could be more then one in Naperville
    The sellers got a new name and new account,
    Carfax has 10 records on the D
    It sure looked the same,Same dingy under hood,Same Dingy wheels,Same amount of miles
    But I'm not here to bash him,Might be legit ?

Rick
    2000 R/T Durango Tricked Out

2011 Honda Pilot

Gimme Fuel,Gimme Fire,Gimme That Which I Desire

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I just looked at that eBay posting again. I wanted to see what kind of wheels it was running to clear the Stillen front brakes. That Shelby doesn't have the Stillen AP Racing brakes. They look like the OEM set up on the fronts and drums in the rear.
    2000 R/T
    Intercooled Paxton S/C
    Mopar M-1
    Fastman 53mm
    Martin Saine Tranny
    Mopar PPH Headers
    Stillen/AP Racing Big Brake Kit
    FastMan built engine

"Learning starts after you know everything"
    www.ridelikeaprowestcoast.com

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Yea, drum brakes on the rear. I thought all Shelbys had the Stillen brakes? I never heard of a stripped down Shelby. I thought they all were loaded.

Also what's strange the guy says "I ordered it without the racing seats."
    On eBay he says he bought it off a customer

It's missing the Stillen brakes, the lowered suspension and the seats. Wonder what all else it's missing?
    I don't really own a Durango, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :P

Member #
    The guy checks out ok on the suspension because the 99 Shelby 4x4 retained the stock ride height. The 2wd 99 Shelby was dropped 3 inches all the way around.
    The Stillen AP six-piston calipers and crossdrilled rotors were an option, so again, checks out ok.
    What throws me off though are the headlights and the badging.
    The badging (according to the January 1999 Motor Trend) has "Shelby SP 360" located near the bottom of the rear door, and "supercharged" in the traditional placement on the front doors. The headlights in the Motor Trend article have tinted covers with the little clear circles not tinted.

He does have a pic of the VIN though, anybody have a carfax acct. or know where you can run a VIN to check authenticity?

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    The guy may be a fraud, but who'd go to the trouble to 'fake' a Shelby that, when I last checked, only had a $7100 bid? The D is nice and worth that much for sure. The photos of the Shelby certification number on the door sills says something about legit too.

I think his story has a few holes, but hey, I really don't care because I'm not buying it. Wish I had some of those features on my D!

Didn't someone on another post just tell us how to get the build info on a D if you have the VIN? The VIN is included in the eBay listing, so I'd assume if he was faking it, he wouldn't have included the VIN.

I also read somewhere the Shelby headlights had "covers" on them, so the OEM lights could be accurate, just not shown or missing them?

IndyDurango
    Edit = sig update

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Vehicle
    1998 5.2, 4x4, SLT
    Here's a pix of the Shelby headlights and they are covers!

Specifically, they're GTS "clear" covers with a special Carbon Fiber template applied to the inner surface for the blacked out portion. I have a set of those covers that I applied my own template to (they came with a template kit) created using "spray on" windshield tint and regularly have problems with one or both of them coming loose (my bush bar has keep them from falling off.) I've also seen at least 3 different D owners who made posts to the DOC forum over the years who had the "original" Shelby covers sold by Race Truck Trends that complained about them "falling off" regularly (in fact one guy contacted me wanting to know where he could get a replacement for one he lost!)

So it's possible this one doesn't have them anymore because one or more got lost or the guy just got tired of having to put them back on??

As for the badging, not only is it in a different location, the letters don't match the "original" badging being sold by Race Truck Trends (which was one of the "authorized" Shelby modifiers) The eBay one has italic letters while the Race Truck Trends "original" ones are standard block letters??

However, while it'd be easy and cheap to have a good local sign shop make up whatever badging you wanted to apply to your vehicle, including the Shelby labels if you had a sample (i.e. I had the below badges made for my own D by a local Signarama for $45), why try to fake a Shelby when it'd be easy to check it's authenticity with DC?

"Special Edition" emblems to replace the stock SLT ones.

Rams Head wheel center caps instead of the Gara ones
    Last edited by WebMaster; 06-23-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    101 times

Another Shelby is available

Okay, that last one didn't meet the reserve price. It went unsold at $12,569.

Interestingly, there's another '99 Blue Shelby listed for sale now. It has 1/2 as many miles on it. From the previous tear apart we did on the other Shelby, here are the items I noticed:

This one has many of the same looks to it, and does include the headlight covers as previously discussed. Same 2nd row seats many questioned, same Kenne Bell Supercharger (this listing shows 2 additional instrument pods up close which the views of the previous listing also had, just not in a pic all of their own), same colors throughout (center console has a dual color scheme matching the seats), same rims.

Different location on the Shelby SP360 badging but same font (you can still purchase these BTW at RaceTruckTrends.) No 'supercharged' extra badge as on previous listing. Very different dash with a stainless steel look instead of the carbon fiber and the instrument gages don't match at all.

I think with all the 'stuff' on each, they're both real Shelby's just with slight owner applied mods. After all, who knows more about wanting to add mods to a D than we do!

Here's the new link: New eBay Shelby listing

Thoughts?

IndyDurango
    Edit = sig update

Member #
    Liked
    1788 times
    Vehicle
    2013 R/T D HEMI
    Mods
    DIABLO TUNING, 22 SRT WHEELS, AFE CAI, BILLET TECH GOODIES, CORSA
    That one looks real nice!
    It has some of the same deletions you mentioned on the previous one as well.
    Remember that's around a 7 year old car.
    It looks pretty good
    Steve
    DOC Pres

BRIGHT WHITE R/T, HEMIFEVER TUNING, CORSA EXHAUST, FMTB, AFE CAI
    BT GOODIES, 22" SRT8 REPS, RK SPORTS HOOD,KATZKIN INTERIOR

"Dodgedurango.net welcomes all members with open arms, regardless of social status, creed, color, vehicle color, vehicle model or how it is modded. The only thing we discriminate against is DISRESPECT... We're not friends we are FAMILY"
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/6411..._comment_reply

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links