Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel controls not working

Member #

Steering wheel controls not working

Hi everyone,

Cool site! My wife has an '01 Durango and we've loved it. Recently the steering wheel controls went out though. I've done some searching and it seems that it might be the clockspring from what I've read. Is there any to make sure that's it before I buy one? The airbag light isn't on, but the horn, radio and cruise controls don't work. I took off the column covers and was using one of the cheap wire testers with the bulb in them trying to see if there was something not getting power. When I found the horn wire and stuck the tester in it, it blew the horn. So apparantly everything's cool up to the steering wheel.

I think I read that the clockspring was involved in a recall at one point, is it too late to get mine fixed? Do recalls only last so long? Lastly, if it's the clockspring and too late for the recall, has anyone documented how to replace it?

I'm sorry for all the questions on my first post. Any help would be greatly appreciated though! Thanks!

Member #
    It sure sounds like the clockspring, I had mine replaced under the recall, but it eventually failed. So I replaced it myself. I'd recommend getting a FSM. There's a procedure you have to go through to make sure that you properly disarm and later rearm the airbag. The part costs around $80 and the job takes under an hour. You'll need a steering whell puller.

My problem was the airbag light. But when I turned it full stop it'd go out. Try turning the wheeel to full stop in both directions to see if the controls work momentarily.

You can also check to see if your D had the reall by going to www.dodge.com and clicking on the sustomer service section. You can enter your VIN and it'll tell which recalls you have had and which ones you still need.

Member #
    Thanks a lot jimbo! I'll try that about the wheel tomorrow. If I go to the site and it says I haven't had the recall, can I still get it? Or is there a time limit and after that you have to pay or something?

Thanks again!

Member #
    My understanding is that since it's a safety recall, there's no time limit.

Member #
    Go figure. I checked and that recall was apparently already done. Will a clockspring for a 96-00 Voyager/Caravan work? Thanks again for everything!

Member #
    No, they're different. In fact, it's important that you use the correct one, there are different ones for the D based on the features. It must be properly centered, when you install it. A new one comes pre-centered with a tape seal keeping it centered until installation.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Clockspring

Cowboy, also follow the procedure for airbag deactivation when working on the steering column. You don't want a case of "bag eye".

REMOVAL
    The clockspring can't be repaired. It must be replaced if faulty or damaged, or if the driver airbag has been deployed.

WARNING: DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, SEAT BELT TENSIONER, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

NOTE: Before starting this procedure, be certain to turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.

1. Place the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
    2. Remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel (Refer to RESTRAINTS/ DRIVER AIRBAG - REMOVAL.)
    3. Disconnect the steering wheel wire harness connectors from the upper clockspring connector receptacles.
    4. Remove the screw that secures the steering wheel armature to the steering column upper shaft, which is located within the hub cavity of the steering wheel. CAUTION: Be certain that the screws that secure the steering wheel puller to the steering wheel are fully engaged in the steering wheel armature without passing through the steering wheel and damaging the clockspring.
    5. Pull the steering wheel off of the steering column upper shaft spline using a steering wheel puller (Special Tool C-3428-B.)
    6. Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.
    7. If the vehicle is so equipped, grasp the tilt steering column knob firmly and pull it straight rearward to remove it from the tilt steering column adjuster mechanism lever located on the left side of the column just below the multi-function switch control stalk.
    8. From below the steering column, remove the two outboard screws that secure the upper shroud to the lower shroud.
    9. Push gently inward on both sides of the upper shroud near the parting line between the upper and lower shrouds to release the snap features that secure it to the lower shroud.
    10. Remove the upper shroud from the lower shroud.
    11. From below the steering column, remove the one center screw that secures the lower shroud to the steering column lock housing.
    12. Remove the lower shroud from the steering column.
    13. Disconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors for the clockspring from the lower clockspring connector receptacles.

Fig. 7 Clockspring And Multi-Function Switch

14. Remove the two screws that secure the clock- spring to the multi-function switch mounting housing.
    15. Remove the clockspring from the multi-function switch mounting housing. The clockspring can't be repaired. It must be replaced if faulty or damaged, or if the driver airbag has been deployed.
    16. If the removed clockspring is to be reused, secure the clockspring rotor to the clockspring case to maintain clockspring centering until it's reinstalled on the steering column. If clockspring centering isn't maintained, the clockspring must be centered again before it's reinstalled. (Refer to CLOCKSPRING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - CLOCKSPRING CENTERING.)

INSTALLATION
    The clockspring can't be repaired. It must be replaced if faulty or damaged, or if the driver airbag has been deployed.

If the clockspring isn't properly centered in relation to the steering wheel, steering shaft and steering gear, it may be damaged. (Refer to CLOCKSPRING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - CLOCKSPRING CENTERING.) Service replacement clocksprings are shipped pre-centered and with a plastic locking pin installed. This locking pin shouldn't be removed until the clockspring has been installed on the steering column. If the locking pin is removed before the clockspring is installed on a steering column, the clockspring centering procedure must be performed.

WARNING: DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, SEAT BELT TENSIONER, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Clockspring R&R steps:

NOTE: Before starting this procedure, be certain that the front wheels are still in the straight-ahead position.

1. Carefully slide the centered clockspring down over the steering column upper shaft until the hole in the locating tab at the eleven o'clock position on the clockspring case is engaged over the locating pin on the multi-function switch mounting housing.
    2. Install and tighten the two screws that secure the clockspring to the multi-function switch mounting housing. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (20 in. lbs.)
    3. Reconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors for the clockspring to the lower clock-spring connector receptacles.
    4. Position the lower shroud onto the steering column.
    5. From below the steering column, install and tighten the one center screw that secures the lower shroud to the steering column lock housing. Tighten the screw to 2 Nm (20 in. lbs.)
    6. Position the upper shroud onto the steering column. If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, be certain to engage the gearshift lever gap hider into the openings in the right side of the upper and lower shrouds.
    7. Align the snap features on the upper shroud with the receptacles on the lower shroud and apply hand pressure to snap them together.
    8. From below the steering column, install and tighten the two screws that secure the upper shroud to the lower shroud. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (20 in. lbs.)
    9. If the vehicle is so equipped, align the tilt steering column knob with the tilt steering column adjuster mechanism lever located on the left side of the column just below the multi-function switch control stalk and using hand pressure push the knob firmly onto the lever.
    10. Reinstall the steering column opening cover onto the instrument panel.
    11. Reinstall the steering wheel onto the steering column upper shaft. Be certain to index the yellow rubber booted engagement dowel on the upper surface of the clockspring rotor between the two fins cast into the lower surface of the steering wheel armature hub. Pull the upper clockspring pigtail wire through the upper hole between the steering wheel back trim cover and the steering wheel armature.
    12. Install and tighten the screw that secures the steering wheel to the steering column upper shaft. Tighten the screw to 61 Nm (45 ft. lbs.) Be certain not to pinch the clockspring pigtail wire or the steering wheel wire harness between the steering wheel and the screw.
    13. Reconnect the steering wheel wire harness connectors to the upper clockspring connector receptacles. Be certain that the steering wire harness is routed between the steering wheel back trim cover and the steering wheel armature.
    14. Reinstall the driver airbag onto the steering wheel. (Refer to RESTRAINTS/DRIVER AIRBAG - INSTALLATION.)

HTH

Bill
    2001 SLT Plus, 5.9L, PPH Headers, MP 1.7 RRs, M1, and VCs, Fastman 52mm TB, B&G Flash, PIAAs, Go Rhino Guards, Tow Pkg, Mag-Hytec Diff & Trans Covers, IP CAI, MOAB Basket, and much much more!! Ask your doctor if the Durango is right for you.

Member #

Clockspring for sure

It's your clockspring for sure. I had the same issue: no horn, intermittent radio control, yet not airbag warning light. Clockspring cost me about $190 to replace through a Dodge dealership. I had 75k miles on mine, just out of extended warranty.

If any of you guys have any info (years, models, etc.) on the recall, I'd love it. Dodge has been sidestepping the issue saying that my D doesn't qualify for any clockspring recalls.

I personally think Chrysler sucks in the recall/campaign department and claiming responsibility for its substandard parts.
    2001 SLT+ 4x4 5.9L Platinum
    360airintakez S&B CAI
    Bridgestone Deuler A/T Revo II (2nd set)
    Monroe Sensatracs
    180 t-stat

Member #
    Recall - Clockspring Replacement

June 2001

Safety Recall No. 982 - Clockspring

Models

2000-2001 (BR/BE) Dodge Ram Pickup Trucks

NOTE :This recall applies only to the above vehicles built at the:

> Warren Assembly Plant ("S" in the 11th position) from May 16, 2000 through October 23, 2000 (MDH 0516XX through 102300)

> St. Louis North Assembly Plant ("J" in the 11th VIN position) from May 19, 2000 through October 23, 2000 (MDH 0519XX through 102300)

> Lago Alberto Assembly Plant ("M" in the 11th VIN position) from May 23, 2000 through October 23, 2000 (MDH 0523XX through 102300)

> Saltillo Assembly Plant ("G" in the 11th VIN position) from May 23, 2000 through October 23, 2000 (MDH 0523XX through 102310)

2000 (AN) Dodge Dakota Trucks

NOTE : This recall applies only to the above vehicles built from May 16, 2000 through July 5, 2000 (MDH 0516XX through 0705XX.)

2000 (DN) Dodge Durango Trucks

NOTE : This recall applies only to the above vehicles built from May 13

2000 through July 24, 2000 (MDH 0523XX through 0724XX.)

IMPORTANT :Vehicles that have already had the proper clockspring installed, according to warranty records, have been excluded from this recall. In addition, 1997 - 2001 model year vehicles that have had a suspect replacement clockspring installed, according to warranty records, have been added to this recall.

IMPORTANT :Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to stop sale and complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the DIAL VIP System.

Subject

The clockspring on about 200,000 of the above vehicles may break. This could cause the driver's airbag, speed control and steering wheel mounted audio controls (if equipped) to be inoperative. An inoperative driver's airbag won't deploy, which can result in increased injury to the driver under certain accident conditions.

Repair

The clockspring assembly must be replaced

Parts Information

No parts will be distributed initially for this recall. Dealers should order enough of each clockspring as necessary to support scheduled repairs.

Dealers should determine which clockspring is required for each vehicle at the time appointments are scheduled to assure that the correct part is available when the customer arrives. The clockspring for the vehicle to be serviced may be determined by:

> Using the part code in the third column of the VIN list along with the following table (involved dealers);

> Using the VIN and part number list electronically transmitted to DIAL System Function 53 (involved dealers); or

> Entering the VIN into the DIAL VIP System (sales code information) along with the table (all dealers) shown.

Completion Reporting and Reimbursement

Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DIAL System. Claims submitted will be used by DaimlerChrysler to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.

Use the labor operation number and time allowance shown.

Add the cost of the part plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.

NOTE :See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section. for complete recall claim processing instructions.

Parts Return

Not required.

Dealer Notification and Vehicle List

All dealers will receive a copy of this dealer recall notification letter by first class mail. Two additional copies will be sent through the DCMMS, and the MDS2 will be updated to include this recall in the near future. Each dealer to whom involved vehicles were invoiced (or the current dealer at the same street address) will receive a list of their involved vehicles. The vehicle list is arranged in Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) sequence. Owners known to DaimlerChrysler are also listed. The lists are for dealer reference in arranging for service of involved vehicles.

DIAL System Functions 53 and VIP

All involved vehicles have been entered to DIAL System Functions 53 and VIP for dealer inquiry as needed.

Function 53 provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The customer name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from Function 53 within several days of repair claim submission. To use this system, type "53" at the "ENTER FUNCTION" prompt, then type "0RD982".

Owner Notification and Service Scheduling

All involved vehicle owners known to DaimlerChrysler are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They're requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A copy of the owner letter is included.

Enclosed with each owner letter is an Owner Notification Form. The involved vehicle and recall are identified on the form for owner or dealer reference as needed. Dealers are encouraged to consider alternative scheduling and servicing approaches for this recall. This repair doesn't require hoists or other full service facility special equipment and is a DaimlerChrysler Mobile Service approved repair.

Vehicle Not Available

If a vehicle isn't available for service, let us know by filling out the pre-addressed Owner Notification Form or describe the reason on a postcard and mail to:

DaimlerChrysler Corporation
    CIMS 482-00-85
    800 Chrysler Drive East
    Auburn Hills, Michigan 48326-2757

Additional Information

If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Zone Service Office.

Copyright ? 2005 ALLDATA LLC

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    No, they're different. In fact, it's important that you use the correct one, there are different ones for the D based on the features. It must be properly centered, when you install it. A new one comes pre-centered with a tape seal keeping it centered until installation.
    Thanks again for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it! I've seen the ones for cruise, without cruise, etc., but they're vehicle specific? A Ram one won't work either then?

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links