98D: Maximum Water Depth?
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 98D: Maximum Water Depth?

Grasshopper
    Member #

98D: Maximum Water Depth?

While I'd also be interested in hearing any experiences with deep water out there, I'm primarily interested if anyone has seen any published specs on the maximum depth of water a D can safely travel in.

Durango Jedi Master
    Member #
    Liked
    189 times

water depth

I have traversed an ocean stream of about 100 yards even with the top of the fender openings(actually water was crowning over the fenders) with no trouble. I had a D full of dinner guests witth me and had to get back to our camp site. If you're familiar with the Pismo, CA creek at high tide you know the one I'm talking about. Of course when I got home I serviced the entire driveline to eliminate any water contamination from damaging the same. Just go slow and easy.
    Hanson front bumper, Kennesaw rear bumper, Ranch9000xl's w/ remote, Detroit Locker, lots of other goodies

Member #
    Before I bought the D off of my paren'ts, my mom had it in some deep water once. She's a postmaster, and you know the slogan of the Post Office, come rain etc etc. Needless to say, there was a lot of flooding in the area to get to her post office, and she drove through a section of water that got up to the top of the headlights. The D made it through and got her to work.

She found out that an hour after she went through, an f-150 stalled trying to pass the same area, the guy got out, was swept away, and drowned.

The D didn't fare too well in the end though. The next day, it just died on her going to work, and had to have it towed to the dealership. They said the catalytic converter was bad, along with the spark plug wires and a fuel injector. I'd assume that the floodwater was the cause for this. So there's my little story for some input. Hope this helps.
    99 5.9L SLT
    Intense Performance Stage III 9"Cold Air Intake
    Superchips 3715, Fastman TB, Flowmaster 40
    Westin Sportsman Brush Guard, Tail light guards, and rear bumper guard
    BFG A/Ts 32x11.5x15
    Trailmaster AAL/Shackle/Torsion lift
    Rancho 5000s

Member #
    I've had mine halfway up the doors, you could hear the watrer gurgling in around the door seals. It was an emergency (hurricane George.) There were no adverse effects. I checked all of the fluids afterwards. I have also had it just above the bottom of the body once while offroading and fried the transmission. I think the difference was when the transmission went I had shut off the engine (I was stuck) and I think the torque converter cooled fast and sucked water into the tranmission vent which is inside the bellhousing. I had to flush the transmission a couple of times and replace the electronics. I also think you have better luck if you keep a slow constant forward motion which helps keep the water out of the engine bay. The rear diff breather is located just below the body above the spare and is more suceptable to water intrusion than the front diff which is vented to the top of the radiator.
    98 FR SLT+, 3" body lift, 2" shackle/torsion lift, MPPCM, FM TB, Warn brush guard & winch, and more.
    2004 Jeep Rubicon, 4" suspension lift, 1" BL, warn rockcrawler bumpers, 33X14.5R15 swampers, CB and more

Member #
    Liked
    897 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    I'd actually think that the damage reported isn't from going for a swim?

bad plug wires and a bad injector can easily damage the cat over time?

It's likely that the general wetness did make the old plug wires eventually short out, but that would have happened anyway.

?tom

Member #
    Its just kinda odd that it happened the day after it treaded the water. The D only had about 40k miles when it happened too. I'd think that the hot cat hitting the cold flood water might cause it to break up inside or something.
    99 5.9L SLT
    Intense Performance Stage III 9"Cold Air Intake
    Superchips 3715, Fastman TB, Flowmaster 40
    Westin Sportsman Brush Guard, Tail light guards, and rear bumper guard
    BFG A/Ts 32x11.5x15
    Trailmaster AAL/Shackle/Torsion lift
    Rancho 5000s

Durango Jedi Master
    Member #
    Liked
    189 times

water depth

If the injector was leaking fuel into the engine the convertor would have gotten extremely hot (actually red in color) from the rich condition, along with a weak spark from the poor wires and plugs not burning everything either. In that case the water would damage the cat.
    With all of the water I have gone through, the only problem that developed was the headlight reflectors going bad.
    Just remember to service the driveline after submergence to prevent problems. I had a customer that wouldn't do that and he spent a lot of money rebuilding his K-5 Blazer front end from rusted bearings about twice a year.
    Hanson front bumper, Kennesaw rear bumper, Ranch9000xl's w/ remote, Detroit Locker, lots of other goodies

Sponsored Links